Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89209 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 8)
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2015, 02:06:32 am »

With your great strength, you are prepared to fire your bow if need be. Your companion throws a javelin, which your eyes follow as it hits one of the bandits on the shoulder, causing some damage. When you look back at your fellow, he seems to have procured another one. You do not recall seeing more than one slung over his shoulder, and it is of the same form as the last one. Strange.

((Sorry for the auto))

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 14 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

You throw a javelin!
[6][4][1]/[5] The javelin hits the maceman in the right shoulder, causing him to drop his weapon!
[6][4] The flying javelin tears through the maceman's leather shoulderpad, shattering the bone! Enemy arm is at (3) damage.

[2][6] As you recover from your throw, you hold your arm to the side and lean on your javelin. It is there, as always.

The area around you seems ripe for hit-and-run warfare. The walls of the church are high enough to crouch behind, shielding yourself from gunfire. This is where you are hiding currently. The ruins of the church are connected to low stone fence that has since been scattered, providing nothing but an obstacle to trip over. This fence used to surround the church, the fortress from which the bandits emerged, and a couple of ruined buildings scattered throughout the ruined castle. The ruins of the buildings are made from wood, and few are still roofed, but the old beams will nonetheless provide shelter.
The church walls have two gaps, one on the outside, flush with the ancient perimeter, and one on the inside. There are two buildings within sprinting distance of the church ruin, one a small square shack, the other the only roofed building in the whole cluster, with two doors on the side facing you and a window for Wilhelm to fire out of on the opposite side.

The Maceman's arm is damaged (3) and broken (cannot use weapon)

You have a soulbound Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab)) (can be converted into a memory)
You previously had a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab)) (must be recovered)
You have 9 Javelin memories (strong)
You have about thirty Hours

You remember the Lady of Winter (strong)
You remember a giant eye (weak)
You remember many pixies (strong)
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers (strong) and some bandits (weak)

Pick up the quartz, give it to the beggar, and keep on trying to find a map.

[2][3] You hold the quartz in your hand, and hold it out to the beggar. He looks at you and reaches out toward the crystal, but before he takes it, you receive a sharp pain to the temple, followed by the sky turning red. You double over in pain, dropping your walking stick and holding your arm to your face, and hear some words from a woman: "With power comes responsibility, Archae."

It ends when you drop the crystal. It bounces around unceremoniously, but the pain is gone, and although you've attracted some stares, the world is back as you saw it before.
The parading troops begin marching across the roadway, forcing carts to turn back and turning pedestrians aside. One of the two people riding horseback--the woman--is watching you, although you are not sure if she is watching because of the beggar on the side of the road or because of what... happened.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silverseel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy Hours

The Doppelsoldner enters the room to assist the Astrologer as requested, deciding to try a different approach to the problem. "Sure enough. Do tell me, what's the whole story? Why did ya get in an argument with him about his business?" he asks as he tries to help the man back up and into the building.

Incite the man to tell more of this story in the hopes he either tells the whole truth or makes a mistake/contradicts himself in case he's lying.

[4]/[5][6] The Astrologer is cooperative in telling more of his story. Or his side, that is.
Astrologer: Fair enough. The bartender had his jimmies rustled when I told him his job sucked. He said he's a hard working man, with a fam'ley and three kids, all unemployed. I said he'd be better off buying land and putting them kids to work, but he just got mad. He kept his honor. But he tried to take my gun, so I hit him with it. Dropped straight to the ground.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

I wait for them to be as spread out as I can reasonably expect, then whisper as quietly as I can into the Noble's ear:
"You aren't crazy."
waiting out the inevitable reaction, I wait for another opportunity to speak to him alone.
"Maybe you ARE crazy."

Thelmax is currently residing in his chamber, a study the size of a small home, mixed with bookcases and shelves of mostly unused alchemist contractions. The Aganis Lord himself has decorated his study with scores of unique plants from across the continent.

The Aganis Lord himself is an aging man with two distinct gray puffs of hair at the sides. He wears a suit made of many triangular strips of cloth, looking much like a suit of leaves, but velvet and gold-trimmed ones. He has a calm demeanor, and shows no resentment when interrupted from his work.
Thelmax: I see he looks sick indeed, I will have to take a look...

His left arm slowly morphs into a bundle of eyeless snakes, each with a single fang.

Nobleman: What in the name of all that is right...
Thelmax: Looks can be deceiving, my friend. I mean no harm. The River Snakes of the Great Desert have a capacity to sense disease far beyond my limited senses of sight, taste, and smell. It is only natural, for they are scavengers that feed off of corpses often left by Snakeman hunters seeking only the bones. These beastmen use all manners of poisons which remain harmful even past the animal's death. It will take only a small prick...
The Nobleman backs off.
Nobleman: So you're saying... you plan so suck my blood? Taste it? Please, vampires are no good example, there is a reason they have been kept in Villa this whole time...
Clergyman: Is his thinking not clouded? I heard him screaming at nothing inside an empty office. For his own good, he must be tested.
Thelmax: Just a prick of the finger will do. Here...
He hands the Nobleman a needle. He reluctantly pricks his finger, drawing a small bead of blood which is then fed to one of the snakes. The Aganis Lord has an immediate answer.

Thelmax: No poison, no disease. I am afraid the issue is much deeper. A spiritual issue. I am not fit to deal with this sort of thing.
Nobleman: I have been possessed?
Clergyman: The Church hierarchy officially regards demons as a myth, a superstition untested by scholars. But it seems now is as good as ever for testing the veracity of those claims...
Nobleman: Do you have an exorcist here, on campus?
Thelmax: Unfortunately not. I am of the opinion that the exile was a mistake, but even as a High Lord I lack veto power. The council's vote was overwhelming.

The nobleman looks confused.

Clergyman: The last of the exorcists have been exiled from the capital, and sent to live on a monastary in Harold's Forest. Now I regret speaking so harshly against my fellow man. But we must go out into the forest if we are to meet with them.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:22:15 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2015, 03:46:44 am »

What..what power? Archae thinks.

Archae attempts to apologize, while taking back the crystal. He needed to study it more closely. He looks at it, attempting to discern the cause of the attack. While also looking for a map. He also studies the woman, trying to see if she had any part in this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:57:57 am by Pencil_Art »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2015, 09:33:12 am »

((It's cool, I would probably have charged the bow anyway.))

"And by His guidance, the heretics shall be purged from this world, the wicked shall be torn asunder by his divine wrath, the faithful will triumph over the forces of evil. DO NOT SUFFER THE HERETIC TO LIVE!"

Shoot my charged shot at the armed figure. if I can't see this armed/shadowy figure, shoot the axe bandit instead.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 7)
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2015, 10:37:56 am »

"Possessed is such a dull term. Your mind is your own, have no worry."
"Nothing to worry about at all. Nope nope nope nope nope! I'd NEVER do ANYTHING like THAT..."
"Here, I'll tell them for you."
"Your friend is fine, I'm just having fun teasing him."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 7)
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »

((I'm going to change the dialogue format one more time. Bold only this time, no italics.))

"Possessed is such a dull term. Your mind is your own, have no worry."
"Nothing to worry about at all. Nope nope nope nope nope! I'd NEVER do ANYTHING like THAT..."
"Here, I'll tell them for you."
"Your friend is fine, I'm just having fun teasing him."

((The following has been copied into the roll below))

The Nobleman hovers close to the door to retrieve his hat from the stand, but you torment him as he gets there. He leaps back and shouts at the top of his lungs.
Nobleman: It speaks!

The Aganis Lord meets the cries with a friendly smirk, while the Clergyman puts his palm to his head in sullen anguish.
Thelmax: What is it saying? What are its words?
Nobleman: It... it taunted--

It was at this moment when they heard your words, spoken audibly for all to hear. Your words echo through the spacious room, making it difficult to know the direction of the voice.

Thelmax: Well, it appears we are not alone. *turns to clergyman* Are you hearing this too?
Clergyman: I wonder if the hierarchs will believe me...
Nobleman: And you suspected I was crazy!

Lord Thelmax holds out his hand.
Thelmax: It sounds like no demon. I actually suspect it is a cluster of sprites, lurking in the shadows of the halls.
Nobleman: Sprites? I hear of faeries and pixies, but what is this third fantastical being?
Thelmax: Sprites are the lesser known cousins of the faeries and the pixies. Faeries are harmless while the pixies cause men to see memories as reality. But sprites are the most troublesome of them all. They put words in people's heads, words that were never there. They tempt honest souls to wander the forest and never come back.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:38:49 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2015, 09:36:09 pm »

Help the man up and keep talking to him.

"Yah, but why did ya come here? To rustle his jimmies and hit him with a pistol?" the mercenary asks, raising an eyebrow.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2015, 09:42:38 pm »

"One's been plucked. Now to focus on the other weed."

Throw another javelin,at the axeman, then use another memory to re-summon it. Keep track of the armed bandit.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 10)
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2015, 10:38:29 pm »

"And by His guidance, the heretics shall be purged from this world, the wicked shall be torn asunder by his divine wrath, the faithful will triumph over the forces of evil. DO NOT SUFFER THE HERETIC TO LIVE!"

Shoot my charged shot at the armed figure. if I can't see this armed/shadowy figure, shoot the axe bandit instead.

You fire your greatbow!
[1][5][4]/[2] It hits its mark on the figure's center of mass!
[3]/[6] It punches through the shadowy figure's armor, or whatever excuse for armor he is wearing. The arrow digs deep.

(5)/(4) Your target then disappears in a puff of smoke, causing the arrow to drop to the ground. You wonder where he--
(5)(5)/(4) Hearing it coming, you spin around gracefully as a monkey swinging from tree to tree and dodge the incoming blow. The shady figure had appeared behind you and thrust with his bayonet! You ready yourself for a close-up fight, but the figure then collapses on one knee, blood dripping from his chest wound. He drops the gun and holds his other arm across his torso.
Figure: Please... spare me! You can take it all...

The Shady Figure's torso is heavily damaged (4) and bleeding (+1 damage in two turns)

You have a large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound

"One's been plucked. Now to focus on the other weed."

Throw another javelin,at the axeman, then use another memory to re-summon it. Keep track of the armed bandit.

You throw the second javelin!
[6][3][6]/[6] The axeman leaps out of the way! He hides behind the shack, advancing no further yet.

You hear some ruckus behind you, and find that the shady figure has somehow closed the gap within the blink of an eye! He seems to be wounded, though.

You have a soulbound Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab)) (can be converted into a memory)
You previously had a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab)) (must be recovered)
You previously had a soulbound Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab)) (can be converted into a memory)
You have 8 Javelin memories (strong)

You remember the Lady of Winter (strong)
You remember a giant eye (weak)
You remember many pixies (strong)
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers (strong) and some bandits (weak)

What..what power? Archae thinks.

Archae attempts to apologize, while taking back the crystal. He needed to study it more closely. He looks at it, attempting to discern the cause of the attack. While also looking for a map. He also studies the woman, trying to see if she had any part in this.

[2][4] The woman seems to have no part in this. You overhear her giving a command to stop the parade, and it definitely isn't her voice. She disembarks and starts heading toward you.

[4][4] The crystal in hand feels warm to the touch. You study it to try and understand what just happened. Unfortunately, knowing how to use thoughtform gives little in the way of extrasensory illumination.
But just studying it seems to have made it work again. You hear more words, in the same voice as before but without the accompanying migraine: Who needs a map?

You now know the positions of every store, every inn, every restaurant, and every guild hall, as if you've been here before. As you dig deeper into these new, foreign memories, you also discover that you now know every tunnel and secret passageway in the palace, including the Kaiserin's throne room itself.

You have the gift of knowledge, Archae. Share it, and you will see the path.
The cripple sits in front of you, unfazed by the outburst.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"

Help the man up and keep talking to him.

"Yah, but why did ya come here? To rustle his jimmies and hit him with a pistol?" the mercenary asks, raising an eyebrow.

Astrologer: Why, to sort out some private business with a friend! Too bad he's not here, he's workin at this hour. I was just about to leave, too, but then the bartender went all crazy-like.

[5][6] You help him loose, getting his clothes unstick from what seems to be a large splinter in the wooden construction of the structure. As you try to help him into the building, however, he attempts to pull himself up by his own strength, wiggling around in the process and breaking free from your grip. He lands on the crates below, stopping his fall with his arms.
Astrologer: Thanks! I don't mind gettin free the wrong way, it's all I need.
The Astrologer begins to leave.

The young man outside, who as of yet had no luck stacking any crates to use as stepping stones, puts on a look of disapproval and stares at you from the back alley.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)

The Nobleman hovers close to the door to retrieve his hat from the stand, but you torment him as he gets there. He leaps back and shouts at the top of his lungs.
Nobleman: It speaks!

The Aganis Lord meets the cries with a friendly smirk, while the Clergyman puts his palm to his head in sullen anguish.
Thelmax: What is it saying? What are its words?
Nobleman: It... it taunted--

It was at this moment when they heard your words, spoken audibly for all to hear. Your words echo through the spacious room, making it difficult to know the direction of the voice.

Thelmax: Well, it appears we are not alone. *turns to clergyman* Are you hearing this too?
Clergyman: I wonder if the hierarchs will believe me...
Nobleman: And you suspected I was crazy!

Lord Thelmax holds out his hand.
Thelmax: It sounds like no demon. I actually suspect it is a cluster of sprites, lurking in the shadows of the halls.
Nobleman: Sprites? I hear of faeries and pixies, but what is this third fantastical being?
Thelmax: Sprites are the lesser known cousins of the faeries and the pixies. Faeries are harmless while the pixies cause men to see memories as reality. But sprites are the most troublesome of them all. They put words in people's heads, words that were never there. They tempt honest souls to wander the forest and never come back.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:50:52 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 10)
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2015, 12:27:06 am »

Archae stands still and waits for the woman to reach him.

He tries to speak back to the voice.

Share my knowledge with whom?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2015, 01:15:46 am »

"Wana play hide and seek?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2015, 02:04:35 pm »

((Bump))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:22 pm »

"Sure ya don't wanna stay and prove your innocence? Y'know, we need to make sure there'll be no misunderstandings left behind when you leave, right?" Leonhard asks, his voice sounding part an invitation and part an underlying threat of following on the man's heels if he doesn't stay until his story's proven to be true.

Try to convince the man to stay for a while longer so we may see who's correct. If he refuses, just remember his face and try to wake up the owner of the inn.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2015, 06:53:32 pm »

"Well, it seems that this did not last long." Zikal walks over to the shady figure. "Will the axeman be of any trouble to us? And who are you anyway"

Find out why the shady people confronted us.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2015, 04:20:08 am »

Nock another arrow and look out for the axeman or any shenanigans from the maceman while not-puppy interrogates the figure. Shoot either if they try anything.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2015, 12:47:24 pm »

"Well, it seems that this did not last long." Zikal walks over to the shady figure. "Will the axeman be of any trouble to us? And who are you anyway"

Find out why the shady people confronted us.

[2][6] The shady person speaks, but not in usual language. Instead, he recites a line of poetry:
Shady Figure: Proud the hawk; people cluster around monarchs... Every one cannot get what he wishes.
He pauses, then speaks normally:
Shady Figure: You steal from my people. They are all brothers, all equal, resolving matters through word and not through sword. There is no honor in vengeance.
And another line of poetry:
Shady Figure: Thou didst not think of thy foes.

He then collapses, his body sinking through the ground and leaving nothing behind but a book, its cover blank and pages clean.

You have a blank tome

You previously had a soulbound Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab)) (can be converted into a memory)
You have 8 Javelin memories (strong)

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Nock another arrow and look out for the axeman or any shenanigans from the maceman while not-puppy interrogates the figure. Shoot either if they try anything.

The maceman, focused on his wounded arm, is currently on the grass attempting to deal with his injury. The axeman steps out from behind the structure, but throws his weapon down and raises his arms.

Faeries seem to be coming out of nowhere, which happens often as a man dies. But this time there is no body, and so the faeries congregate around the book the figure left behind instead.

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound

Archae stands still and waits for the woman to reach him.

He tries to speak back to the voice.

Share my knowledge with whom?

[5][2] You hear the voice again, coming from no particular direction: The one in need.

[6][6] The noblewoman approaches, reaching toward her belt for something--a bag. She reaches inside, and tosses out some golden coins toward you and the beggar, smiling.

You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)

"Sure ya don't wanna stay and prove your innocence? Y'know, we need to make sure there'll be no misunderstandings left behind when you leave, right?" Leonhard asks, his voice sounding part an invitation and part an underlying threat of following on the man's heels if he doesn't stay until his story's proven to be true.

Try to convince the man to stay for a while longer so we may see who's correct. If he refuses, just remember his face and try to wake up the owner of the inn.

He walks away before you have any chance to negotiate. Perhaps shouting from the second story is not the most convenient way to communicate. Anyhow, you turn back to check on the bartender.

[1][2] He is not very alive, as your death-sensing capabilities indicate (you check his pulse). The faeries have long congregated about his body, a sure sign of death, and you notice a large bruise on the bartender's left temple.

"Wana play hide and seek?"

Nobleman: There it is again!
Clergyman: I hear it.
Thelmax: As malevolent as its words may be, it is harmless if you take no heed to its words.
Nobleman: Indeed, I will be sure to ignore it. But what about shutting up this nuisance?
Thelmax: We will have to find it.

[5][2] The men split up, the clergyman taking the back of the study where a lot of the alchemical equipment is stored, High Lord Thelmax searching through his spell tomes for traces of sprite light, and the nobleman simply hanging outside the hall looking for movement. A burgher walks by, carrying a snapped handle in one hand and a hammer head in the other, giving the nobleman a strange look but otherwise passing through.

Speaking of the tomes, however, some of them appear to be glowing and emitting light, only evident when the High Lord himself obscures the lamplight with his robes.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40