Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: (ISG) Fantasy Suggestion RPG: Back To The Baron's Castle  (Read 21408 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile

Perhaps he could use a little time to work on his lackluster interpretive dance fighting skills?
Take a closer look at this text!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gerald, with Esther tagging along, goes into the local chapel and gets a large parchment and some charcoal sticks. Esther enthusiastically agrees to help Gerald pick up basic literacy, and the local priest seems to warm up to her after learning that, loaning the two of them a book of the rites of the Silver Flame to work with while they're on the trail.

Since this quest isn't a hugely urgent one, Gerald also takes a whittling knife and a whetstone, for carving things out of wood. A thick woolen blanket is begged off Sir Bernard's wife, and Gerald takes a simple short sword and short bow, making a mental note to get some more practice in. Gerald is okay for a novice, but lacks much of the experience other followers of Sir Bernard have of similar age. As the party intends to travel through thick woodland, they'll be on foot, so he doesn't take much more.

The next day, the party sets out, Sir Bernard in the lead and fifteen men, ages roughly sixteen to thirty, tag along in addition to Gerald, Esther and Lady Thurlow. Everyone except the witches are lightly armed in case they run into the goblin scouting parties they've heard about, but the mood is generally optimistic.

“The sight beyond sight tells me of this magic sword.” explains Lady Thurlow. “I don't know the specifics, but I can feel when we draw closer to it, and I see it in my dreams, glowing, pulling like the current of a river.”

The party makes their way through the woods. They bring down the odd stag or boar, and forage for fruit and vegetables. The forest is mostly untouched, since it's quite dangerous for the solitary traveler. Poachers are rare, because men are not the undisputed ruler of the woods.

A monster surveys the party from a high cliff.

Esther and Gerald spend many hours working first on the alphabet, then later, slowly and laboriously through the prayer book. Gerald picks it up relatively quickly, yet not as fast as he'd like. One day, Esther mentions that Gerald is probably the first proper friend she's had, given that she's lived with Lady Thurlow in their corner of the woods all her life. For his part, Gerald has had plenty of friends in a manner of speaking, but none who were willing or capable of teaching him to read. He punches her very lightly on the shoulder.

Two weeks into the journey, Lady Thurlow announces they're drawing very close to the sword. The party emerges into a clearning with a large, fresh pond in the center. The surface of the water emits a faint whine and ripples from the center. Sir Bernard walks to the lip of the pond. Faintly glowing blue, a pitted, rust-coated longsword lies a couple of feet under the surface of the water.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gerald spots a huge orc bearing down on the line of archers, and dives for cover.

Then, the huge orc turns to face Lady Thurlow.

Suddenly, the orc freezes, rocks back and forth for a moment, then sinks to his knees.

The goblin holds out his hand to Gerald. “C'mon,” he says, “On yer feet. Breathe.”

The goblin leaned down over one of the fallen. “This one ere's still breathin'. Carry him, wouldja?” Gerald and Esther gently lift the injured man, who is delirious and muttering nonsense. The goblin walks over to the pond and pulls out the sword, stepping around Sir Bernard's body. “Hell of a lot of trouble for a rusty sword.” he says scornfully. “C'mon, you lot. Before any more of em' crawl out of the woodwork.”

The goblin leads them to a cave concealed in the brush. Inside, he lights a few candles so they can see. There's a bedroll here, and they gently lower the injured man onto it. The goblin inspects him. “Yeah, this ain't great. Either of you got much in the way of healin'?”

“I do.” says Esther, and she kneels down and examines the man's injuries. Moments later, she says “It's not good. I'm going to need some herbs for a poultice.” “Well, that's great.” the goblin says, “I'll hold the fort here and make sure your pal doesn't leak too quickly. You two go off and pick the flowers you need, awright?”

Where to?

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Suggestion RPG: In the woods
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 03:58:19 am »

go to the mushroom glades

Also why is there a goblin helping us

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 04:19:56 am »

Goodness knows. He certainly doesn't dress anything like the goblins that attacked the party. He's probably not with them. But that'll have to wait till later, right?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »

Aw, just as we were getting to know them :(
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2015, 01:22:11 pm »

Let Esther lead! She probably knows more about this stuff!
Take a closer look at this text!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 01:52:46 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »

That escalated quickly.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2015, 06:31:29 pm »

The two head out across the woods, focused on the task ahead. Esther gathers the herbs she needs for her poultices and witchery, while Gerald simply tags along trying not to think about what has just happened. They're both just going on adrenaline at this point – or some sort of endorphin, at any rate.

There's a sweet smell in the air, and they turn around a corner and discover a grove of giant mushrooms. Gerald and Esther let out yawns. There's a fairy ring of huge, tree sizes mushrooms around a field of normal, black with white spotted shrooms. Poking out of the bed of mushrooms are several bleached bones. Visible in one place is a goblin skull covered in little spore-shoots.

Curious, Gerald picks one of the mushrooms, and it lets out a great cloud of spores. “Oh, this isn't good...” Esther murmurs sleepily, rocking on her heels and shuffling backwards. Gerald has trouble staying away, blinking as his eyelids grow heavy. They back away as fast as the drowse allows, and a high, smooth, unnatural voice calls out.

“Why don't you stay a while, take a little nap? It's won't hurt to get a little...rest...” it says.

Esther: 16(+5)=21 (Success!)
Gerald: 9(+3)=12 (Failure!)

Gerald feels the sleepy feeling overcome him, and Esther grabs his as he starts to fall. Mocking, high pitched laughter seems to come from all directions, and out of the woods, dozens of tiny winged fairies appear. Spinning around Gerald and Esther, they laugh and make faces. They gather in a swarm, and close in on the two.

Esther holds her hand up and a magical barrier appears. The fairies whine and bounce off, screaming furiously as they bounce ineffectually against the barrier. Esther slowly drags Gerald away from the mushroom glade, and the fairies do not follow far. Eventually, Gerald regains consciousness. They sit and rest on a log for a moment.

“I'm sorry.” she says, “I wasn't...I wasn't paying attention because, because of what happened-” and her voice cracks. Shaking the doze away, Gerald pats her on the shoulder. Esther inspects what they've collected so far.

“We have almost enough now. Just a little more.”

Pick another location on the map.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2015, 06:51:36 pm »

Let's find the hidden cave.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »

Oak. Nymphs or Dryads ho!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2015, 07:36:10 pm »

It's so weird that we would just trust that random goblin with the magical sword. It doesn't seem right at all that we would be okay with leaving him with our wounded and the treasure we set out for after only a short discussion.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2015, 07:46:58 pm »

Valid point. However, the Goblin speaks with a highly authoritative voice, and Gerald is both conditioned to obey orders and totally unbalanced by Sir Bernard, oh, and everyone else being dead. On top of that, he DID save Gerald's life. So it occurs to Gerald that it might have been a dumb thing to do, but it's too late now.

Yes I know that's probably a plot hole aaargh

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:08 pm »

Heh, it's okay. (I just hope that goblin doesn't betray us.)

I vote for the clearings. That's gonna be the best place to find flowers, cause sunlight.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6