Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Libraries! Books! Knowledge!  (Read 4620 times)

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Libraries! Books! Knowledge!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:41:58 pm »

I just wonder how long it'll take for our libraries to be flooded with tomes pondering the metaphysical and philosophical implications of the existence of burning cheese.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:14:41 pm »

I can't wait to see what the dwarves actually think about magma.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 09:17:20 pm »

I can finally build the Library of Alexandria in the middle of a desert. And then, as history dictates, burn it to the ground...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:07 am »

Any idea when the knowledge/tavern update is going to arrive?  I know the boss doesn't have deadlines, but does he think it'll be next month, next year?
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:14 am »

While I can't assure you it will be next month, I can assure you it won't take him a year. Given how adamant he seemed over avoiding long stretches of no updates, we'll get something soonish.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 10:29:10 am »

I assume it will take a few months. Maybe two, maybe four.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »

Can a dwarf write a book on the nature of banach space, and the flat chains present therein?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 02:43:12 pm »

Can a dwarf write a book on the nature of banach space, and the flat chains present therein?

Nah, during middle ages they were mostly interested in counting demons contained in a very small space and some such. The nature of demons was also of interest to scholars. That could actually be researched in DF universe. I suppose these "naturalists" could do it.

If alchemy was more refined in DF (I mean, more than not at all) then that could be pondered on by these philosophers. Maybe one of them could invent antiseptic nature of alcohol or copper/silver and let the dwarves use them?

However, all that is for naught as long as dwarves cannot read.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 04:07:35 pm »

But we will have ancient battle epics in the next version ! It will be awesome !
I want another Yonali Smithwings.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »

I just wonder how long it'll take for our libraries to be flooded with tomes pondering the metaphysical and philosophical implications of the existence of burning cheese.

More like that time when the bloody militia captain got switched out. We already have it covering the walls; why not books too?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:21 pm »

More like that time when the bloody militia captain got switched out. We already have it covering the walls; why not books too?
He'll write a lengthy self-serving polemic predicting the imminent demise of the fortress due to the incompetence of his successor. And then two or three follow-ups.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 12:19:59 pm »

"This is a 382 page treatise extolling reindeer cheese by Urist McLonely." 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »

I can't wait to see what the dwarves actually think about magma.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 08:46:41 am »

No. However, if you modded Giant Toads to be [SAPIENT] (or whatever tag would be necessary to make a creature write books)...
Pages: 1 [2]