Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the -worst- game you like?  (Read 14664 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the -worst- game you like?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:15 pm »

The Bureau: XCOM declassified

I enjoyed the game, unlike a lot of people, although probably unlike most I didn't go into it assuming that there would be much link to other XCOM games beyond the general idea. There were a number of places where gameplay/story segregation could have been handled better, such as the high level agents that aid you in the tutorial mission having full alien based tech in the middle of the aliens first attack and the big twist was, to me at least, obviously coming from the start of the game.

I agree.  Parts of it were awkward, but I really liked the big twist.  It was very bioshockesque and made me happy.

Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:11:25 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »

The major issue with the game is mostly that it is a very "Done before" sort of game anyhow.

If you havn't played most of the games in the last 10 years then Xcom declassified suddenly jumps several points.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:42 pm »

The major issue with the game is mostly that it is a very "Done before" sort of game anyhow.

If you havn't played most of the games in the last 10 years then Xcom declassified suddenly jumps several points.
True, but that kind of applies to most games that have been released in recent years. There have been very few that are really innovative instead of iterations on previous designs, while also actually being good, enjoyable games.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 04:30:45 pm »

Yeah but that falls under my rule of thumb: You don't have to be original, you just have to be good at what you do.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 04:34:07 pm »

I like vanilla Minecraft. Most people I know can't stand it without modding it into a completely different game, but I like the comparative simplicity of vanilla, which also helps the game not become completely focused on whatever feature fetishes the mod developers had.

I also greatly enjoy playing random, old, badly translated, Nintendo Hard NES games for the hell of it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »

Oh I just remembered.  I ADORED Wolfenstein 2009, and was completely surprised to learn that a lot of other people hated it. 

I mean it had Nazi Wizards to kill AND Nazi gold to steal.  So much fun.  It even had a bit of a semi-open main area where the Nazi's would keep upping their game as you progress through the story line. 

I played it again just this January and cranked the difficulty to max, had a great time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:42:38 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 06:27:27 pm »

Thief (4) wasn't bad.  Yeah it was different in a lot of ways, but that's what happens as technology advances.  And it succeeded at being spooky as hell in certain parts.
I also really liked Thief (3): Deadly Shadows, which was pretty much exactly the same to a lesser degree.  Major graphics upgrades, and open world, combined with removing some tools and adding others.  Damn straight they feel different, they *are* different, but I felt they stayed reasonably close to the setting.

I do hate that they called it Thief instead of Thief 4 though.

Re: Drakengard...  Thanks for linking to the LP, I'm really enjoying it.  Half the events seem completely random, though, sorry Neonivek.  Unless the LP author is just lying and skipping the parts where they explain stuff.  Like... the dragon's presence in the castle in the first place.  Or why Caim kicks a refugee kid in the face.  I don't question that this elf chick is a wombless baby-cannibal, I can kinda get that as a result of the pact, but then Caim's reaction is to invite her to the party.  Right after she tries to eat him.  It's not just that everyone is evil, they're chaotic evil and moronic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2015, 06:34:01 pm »

I like vanilla Minecraft. Most people I know can't stand it without modding it into a completely different game, but I like the comparative simplicity of vanilla, which also helps the game not become completely focused on whatever feature fetishes the mod developers had.
+1 here. I can build things and enjoy myself plenty fine without some sort of magic thing that I need to build in order to create unobtainium. I mean with a bunch of the mods once you set things up you might as well be playing in creative mode, you'll save yourself a bit of effort. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 07:43:13 pm »

Re: Drakengard...  Thanks for linking to the LP, I'm really enjoying it.  Half the events seem completely random, though, sorry Neonivek.  Unless the LP author is just lying and skipping the parts where they explain stuff.  Like... the dragon's presence in the castle in the first place.  Or why Caim kicks a refugee kid in the face.  I don't question that this elf chick is a wombless baby-cannibal, I can kinda get that as a result of the pact, but then Caim's reaction is to invite her to the party.  Right after she tries to eat him.  It's not just that everyone is evil, they're chaotic evil and moronic.

A long time ago dragons rules the earth. The reason for the dragon in the castle is a bit more explained in one of the endings.

The Elf Chick was driven mad by a forced pact that essentially killed her baby taking her womb away from her. Caim invites her to the party as a bit of "Story and gameplay segregation" in that in the gameplay Caim is an unstoppable killing machine, in the story he needs all the help he can get and people with pacts are absolutely vital if he wants to succeed. Yeah she is a liability but Caim has no ability to refuse.

As for the refuge kid... uhh >_< you might have to link me there are a few possibilities for that... Is it the one with Golem?

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:30 pm »

For things bay 12 doesn't love, uh... Battlecruiser 3000ad. Weird, I know. The bridge crew makes me laugh. "Long story of a thing" indeed, communications officer.

The new one Universal Combat is free on Steam. What are the changes between versions? "This year we put a 12 on the box"
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 07:54:07 pm »

Whaaat?  I remember being psyched for Universal Combat, but when I got a chance to run it it played crappily and seemed like a massive disappointment.  I gotta try it again!

Thanks for the explanations!
The child-kick was halfway through here:
http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/Update%2008/

"P-please, help us!  The Empire has taken our village!"
*dragon asks where the kid's from*
"From the faerie village that lies yonder.  Please!"
*Caim kicks the kid in the face and goes off to the village*

Obviously a lot of lines are missing, and also I'm not complaining...  The WTF factor makes for an entertaining LP.
Later Caim kicks the 70-year-old monk in the face too, but to be fair he was being pathetic.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:09 pm »

If I remember Caim kicks the "kid" (as in... a fully grown adult) because he grabs onto him and won't let go.

Checking the video I was kind of right. Yeah the "kid" was getting grabby so he kicked him instead of letting him grab onto him... and by kick I mean he placed his foot on him and shoved him back.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:57:44 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:21 pm »

Ah, LP humor then.  My bad.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »

Ah, LP humor then.  My bad.

Not really Caim is supposed to be sort of this kind of jerk.

He would kick someone in his path. Yet he doesn't know himself is he is good, or if he is evil who acts good because it means he gets to kill a few extra people.

It actually leads quite well into the sequel.

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:53 pm »

There was this really bad indiana jones game for the sega genesis,
I think it was Young indiana jones and the infernal machine?

The enemy designs are stupid, the level design is a nightmare, your whip is a pain in the ass to use, and the graphics are those "photo realistic" pixelated eye burning blobs.

I keep trying to beat it though.

The other game is star wars episode 1 the phantom menace for playstation,
I played the shit out of that game and I still feel like I've missed secrets. Its probably the only adventurey type game where I have actually cared at all about NPCs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10