Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the -worst- game you like?  (Read 14656 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the -worst- game you like?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 02:38:00 am »

In the ONE thing in Dark Messiah's favor.

It includes an undead faction that isn't mwahahahaa evil, who presents their philosophy in a truly morally ambiguous fashion.

It is the one praise I can give to the game... the "main" villain (he is technically the game's secondary villain, but the main villain never really shows up) is well done.

The other is that the game remembers that secrets exist.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 05:20:30 am »

It's been a while since I played it but I vaguely remember the first person combat in Dark Messiah being done quite well. There was a good sense of movement behind your actions and learning the reach of your weapons helped a lot during combat. However, watching a video of the combat I seem to remember a common tactic was to kick people over and stab them while they were on the ground.

I do remember being slightly annoyed that the game has a different aesthetic from "Heroes of Might and Magic 5". They're both set in the same world and some enemies (like the Cyclopes) look the same in both games but other than that there is little visual similarities.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 05:33:21 am »

Fort Zombie from Kerberos, it was a few dollar Halloween side project. Buggy as hell, bad graphics, poor interface, just everything more or less shitty... But goddammit didn't I love the game. It is like the most bang for the buck I've ever got for a game. If I recall collectly, I maybe paid five bucks for it and have likely played over one hundred hours. In a way, Dead State scratched the same itch, but FZ still has some nice charm. Funny enough I actually prefer it over State of Decay despite SoD being practically the same game, just with higher budget.

I'm a fan of SotSII as well after End of Flesh. It is a very fun game, but it is horrible what the mess the launch was. The game is still filled with unfinished features and is a kind of monument to what could have been. A great shame.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:16 am »

NFS World.

Loads of unfixed bugs and threat of banhammer for abusing any of them. And some hackers, albeit less than a few years ago.

Still fun to play.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 06:12:13 am »

Awesome avatar btw.
I don't think it was ever actually considered bad by numbers so much as by volume, but I did play Morrowind, then play and prefer Oblivion. Most of the legitimate criticisms (less interesting via more familiar world, hampered spell/enchant/alchemy shenanigans) struck me as understandable choices or necessary sacrifices, and a lot of the more subjective things (dungeon layouts) I either preferred or didn't really mind. And, of course, the game was just technically and mechanically better, having benefited from technological improvements and the possibilities that came with it.
Yeah, Morrowind is by no means a bad game, but only because 1.) the story and setting are interesting, and 2.) you can mod the hell out of it to fix most gameplay issues. It had awful, boring combat if you weren't playing as a mage, a completely broken magic and potion system (look up "Morrowind speedrun" and watch the system get abused to hell and back), and a million bugs.

I completely understand people preferring later games in the series; some people complain about the loss of complexity, but Bethesda really tightened a lot of things up (except the amount of bugs on release :P). For people like me who prefer Morrowind, it's all about the world and atmosphere.

I liked the 3D sonic game where the characters are split into teams of 3. I forget the name but I honestly liked playing it at the time.

Sonic Heroes?

This also helped me think of a bad game that I like: Sonic Adventure. Yeah it's an early 3D platformer in the Sonic series, but the plot was actually really good. Not the acting or writing, mind you, but the idea was cool: each character gets a piece of the backstory, and then you see the whole thing at the end for the grand finale. I feel like a remake could be pretty nifty.
More on topic... I still like Sonic Adventure 2. Yes, I know the story is awful. Eggman blowing up half the moon with a space station that looks like his face, a bunch of anthro furries hijacking the United States President's limousine to figure out that Eggman is in space (orly), the hilarious edgelord that is Shadow, weird awkward furry romance subplots, awful dialog, and plot holes everywhere. I know.

The game itself isn't much better. The engine is truly terrible, with frequent physics issues. For some goddamn reason the designers decided the Dreamcast controller didn't have enough buttons and added a button to cycle through possible actions, which is just bizarre for an action game. This also means every command that isn't jump is mapped to the same button. The treasure hunting levels were just painful, the camera tries its best to sabotage you constantly, and it took Sonic Team about a decade after this game to figure out how a Sanic game should even work in 3D.

But I had never played anything like it when I was 13, and the different story paths were intriguing. The Sanic/Shadow action stages were actually pretty fun, and it doesn't play nearly as bad as later games in the series. Oh, and the soundtrack is great. I'm serious. I was actually surprised by how many good songs are on it when I listened to it by itself. Just... skip over the Knuckles tracks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:24:34 am by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 07:22:36 am »

Sonic Riders.

I tried to beat that last level SO MANY TIMES but it's really borderline impossible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:41 am »

^ I was coming into this thread specifically to mention that game.  I really can't imagine why people didn't like it.  Maybe the plot?  The plot made little sense and I'm sure sonic could go faster than that without the air board. But there's plenty of games people still love despite a lack of a coherent plot.

It was still a fun game, controls were good, The AI was a little weak in my opinion, but they could still pull some surprises on you. And it was a blast playing with another live person. You could still make a comeback if the other player was way ahead if you just took a few risks and pulled them off.  Coming from behind was skill based, not just pray for a blue shell.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

aireoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:18 pm »

Best -Worst- games:

Consortium - Really buggy launch almost killed a very interesting narrative game, hope they manage to bring out the sequel and have more success.

Star Control 3 - So terrible compared to 2, worse in every way, but I love it anyway.

Alpha Protocol

These are more recent, I can remember crappy games I played in the 80's and 90's that where so bad, yet I loved them anyway, I just don't have enough time at the moment to try and dig their names out.
I don't post much, but the forums I'm even slightly active in I have a huge passion for.

In regards to DF, I've been playing for almost 8 years, since the earliest of editions, love this game.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 08:35:14 pm »

someone mentioned sword of the stars 2, i fully agree and have noting to add.

the worst game i ever liked proably was final liberation.
i realy cant say why i liked it. it had no redeeming features whatsoever.
it was unfinished with missing units, the "campaign" only had a single scripted counter attack. the grafic, especially the videos, where incredible bad.
it was completely unbalanced (well, i guess thats not the fault of the game as it had to deal with the wh40k rules)

still i somehow managed to play it a lot and have tons of fun with it. was also fun in hotseat.
I think Final Liberation is pretty damn fun.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »

Advent God Damn Rising

Advent Rising

Fantastic Story, terrible game crippling bugs. I had the game suddenly decide when I was loading a save to change a major plot decision I made early on, and it was always fun to lose the ability to target things after destroying a targeted turret. It was fun and interesting, but, my god, the bugs.

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
  • [APPLY_CREATURE_ VARIATION:PSYCHOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:57 am »

Dark Sector. The story is meh, the controls are horrific, and the gameplay is relentlessly hard on higher difficulties. However, the music (if it's even music anymore) and atmosphere are incredible. And i never get tired of aftertouching the glave and watching the special kills.
Anyone can build a buttress at forty degrees, but it takes a DWARF to build one arbitrarily and have it be twice as strong!

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:44 am »

The Sims series, probably. Haven't played it in a while, though.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 11:01:48 am »

^ I was coming into this thread specifically to mention that game.  I really can't imagine why people didn't like it.  Maybe the plot?  The plot made little sense and I'm sure sonic could go faster than that without the air board. But there's plenty of games people still love despite a lack of a coherent plot.

It was still a fun game, controls were good, The AI was a little weak in my opinion, but they could still pull some surprises on you. And it was a blast playing with another live person. You could still make a comeback if the other player was way ahead if you just took a few risks and pulled them off.  Coming from behind was skill based, not just pray for a blue shell.
Hehe, yeah, it's a pretty fun game.

Maybe I should've said Sonic R instead of Sonic Riders.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 11:13:48 am »

Dwarf Fortress *trollface*

Really, though, Space Station 13. With the goons. No other way, it has to be stupid and chaotic butthat fun or all of the terrible comes crashing down into the most boring, lag-tastic shitpile ever. I've never laughed so much at such an awful game.

For things bay 12 doesn't love, uh... Battlecruiser 3000ad. Weird, I know. The bridge crew makes me laugh. "Long story of a thing" indeed, communications officer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:16:10 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Sure, it's not the best game in the series, and there are some features that were annoying(I'm looking at you unified ammo pool), but I really liked most of the locations you encounter through the game and found the story interesting if not exceptional.

The Bureau: XCOM declassified

I enjoyed the game, unlike a lot of people, although probably unlike most I didn't go into it assuming that there would be much link to other XCOM games beyond the general idea. There were a number of places where gameplay/story segregation could have been handled better, such as the high level agents that aid you in the tutorial mission having full alien based tech in the middle of the aliens first attack and the big twist was, to me at least, obviously coming from the start of the game.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10