Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the -worst- game you like?  (Read 14655 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: What is the -worst- game you like?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 07:27:18 pm »

I also actually liked Twisted Metal 4.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 07:29:57 pm »

I liked the 3D sonic game where the characters are split into teams of 3. I forget the name but I honestly liked playing it at the time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 08:03:20 pm »

I liked the 3D sonic game where the characters are split into teams of 3. I forget the name but I honestly liked playing it at the time.

Sonic Heroes?

This also helped me think of a bad game that I like: Sonic Adventure. Yeah it's an early 3D platformer in the Sonic series, but the plot was actually really good. Not the acting or writing, mind you, but the idea was cool: each character gets a piece of the backstory, and then you see the whole thing at the end for the grand finale. I feel like a remake could be pretty nifty.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33:37 pm »

Sonic Heroes?
That's the one. It probably wouldn't actually hold up now but it was mostly functional as a game at least, unlike the monstrosity that is '06.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:21 pm »

Two worlds II. I know its bad, but something about it appealed to me. whether its the easily breakable story/world or the cheap dialogue, its fun to me.

And i dont care what you guys say, Runescape was fun as hell. its certainly gone downhill in recent years, but nothing could beat 2007scape

E: also Haven and Hearth. The community is filled with russian serial killers and regular serial killers, there (used to be) tons of grinding, and little payoff if you play by yourself, but hot damn is that game fun.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:09:36 pm by Ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 10:11:29 pm »

Hm, I enjoy "Total Annihilation: Kingdoms". It's got weird unfitting voices for the units, the gameplay is quite slow, animations are stiff and strategy is little more then "spam heaps of a good all rounder" but I enjoy the music (as steady and samey as it is), the factions are interesting and varied and the campaign is interesting in its "swap from one faction to another in a chronological plot that can end with missions destroying the base you set up in the last one".

It's also got small mechanics that are barely mentioned anywhere. Like resurrecting units (back to life as Aramon, ghouls as Taros, Automatons as Creon) the ranking up of units with kills so they gain speed, attack power and the like. Also how some units have area attacks since they swing a halberd or flail. There's also height on the map so units who have arcing ranged attacks are able to fire over hills and walls.

One other neat thing is the dragons. They take ages to build and when they're finished they're really weak. What follows is a careful game of gaining kills on the dragon until it ranks up to gold level (I think about 150 kills for the Black Dragon) whereupon they become capable of casting huge blasts of magic over and over again and gain a lot more health.

Dude, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms is awesome. It's the most gloriously broken RTS mess that doesn't balance a single thing, and thus there is a hundred cheap tactics you can use. Balance through unbalance.
The voice clips from that game are as seared into my mind as the ones from Warcraft 3.

I'll throw up Drakengard. The gameplay is tedious and bad, the voice acting and dialogue is laughable ("Welcome to a world without song."), the plotline is incomprehensible, and the music is discordant (Except for Growing Wings), but it still manages to hold this special place in my heart due to how blatantly offensive it is in every regard with no thought to PR.
I don't think any game in existence can trump the sheer ridiculous balls of what the writer of Drakengard managed to put in (Somehow it managed to come out in America, luckily angry parents don't check Japanese releases and instead rail against Grand Theft Auto).

Sometimes a game can manage to be such a disaster that it becomes amazing, like Drakengard and Deadly Premonition. And at the least, Drakengard gave us one of the best stories in video games with the spinoff Nier, but holy shit how can anyone actually enjoy playing the original.

And i dont care what you guys say, Runescape was fun as hell. its certainly gone downhill in recent years, but nothing could beat 2007scape

They opened up a Runescape 2007 server for a reason.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »

I really liked Bladestorm on the X-Box. Most reviews panned it as pretty bad and nobody in my friend circle liked the game either. I cant tell you why I was into it, I just liked the setting and gameplay was fun, even tough from an objective perspective it's a pretty mediocre game.

Was also a fan of Demigod. Sadly, it's only really fun with friends. And most people I know treated it as a very bad Moba-Knockoff. It's still ocasionally funny to whack the comp around a bit. Now that I think about it, I could look for a few people Online to play it again.

Another one is the new DMC. The Story was cringe-inducing, but the Gameplay was just so stupid fun that I didnt care in the long run.

And probably on top of the list, Eador: Masters of the Broken World. The Gameplay is repetitive, the Story is Meh and the strategic aspect ist not that expansive either. I still dropped upwards 30 hours into it.

Mother of god. I fucking LOVE Bladestorm. FUCKING LOVE IT. They're doing a remake. A REMAKE. YES. WE WIN. WE WIIIN DAMNIT!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 11:27:47 pm »

I'll throw up Drakengard. The gameplay is tedious and bad, the voice acting and dialogue is laughable ("Welcome to a world without song."), the plotline is incomprehensible, and the music is discordant (Except for Growing Wings), but it still manages to hold this special place in my heart due to how blatantly offensive it is in every regard with no thought to PR.
I don't think any game in existence can trump the sheer ridiculous balls of what the writer of Drakengard managed to put in (Somehow it managed to come out in America, luckily angry parents don't check Japanese releases and instead rail against Grand Theft Auto).

Sometimes a game can manage to be such a disaster that it becomes amazing, like Drakengard and Deadly Premonition. And at the least, Drakengard gave us one of the best stories in video games with the spinoff Nier, but holy shit how can anyone actually enjoy playing the original.
Best enjoyed through this Let's Play.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 11:31:49 pm »

the plotline is incomprehensible

It really isn't. The plot is rather straight forward it just gives you insane looking plot twists, but ones it foreshadows long in advance.

Namely the entire story is about defying destiny... But most of the endings involve a rather steep consequence for doing so.

As well all power comes at a price. AND the gods are manipulating things behind the scenes.

Also yes I love playing Drakengard and it is a LOT more fun then you are giving it credit for. BUT I do have to add... you have to be GOOD at the game to enjoy it... and only a select group of weapons are good (No, they all aren't good in their own way... Some are outright dreadful... the Kriss in spite being a 'magic weapon' has a lousy magic attack and lousy physical attack). The Scythe is definitely one of the better weapons once you level it up due to how its magic works.

and HOLY COW do most people suck at it, especially the flying sections which are incredibly easy (here is a tip: don't bother to use homing on bosses)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:47:39 pm by Neonivek »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 01:01:51 am »

someone mentioned sword of the stars 2, i fully agree and have noting to add.

the worst game i ever liked proably was final liberation.
i realy cant say why i liked it. it had no redeeming features whatsoever.
it was unfinished with missing units, the "campaign" only had a single scripted counter attack. the grafic, especially the videos, where incredible bad.
it was completely unbalanced (well, i guess thats not the fault of the game as it had to deal with the wh40k rules)

still i somehow managed to play it a lot and have tons of fun with it. was also fun in hotseat.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 01:32:45 am »

the plotline is incomprehensible

It really isn't. The plot is rather straight forward it just gives you insane looking plot twists, but ones it foreshadows long in advance.

Namely the entire story is about defying destiny... But most of the endings involve a rather steep consequence for doing so.

As well all power comes at a price. AND the gods are manipulating things behind the scenes.

Also yes I love playing Drakengard and it is a LOT more fun then you are giving it credit for. BUT I do have to add... you have to be GOOD at the game to enjoy it... and only a select group of weapons are good (No, they all aren't good in their own way... Some are outright dreadful... the Kriss in spite being a 'magic weapon' has a lousy magic attack and lousy physical attack). The Scythe is definitely one of the better weapons once you level it up due to how its magic works.

and HOLY COW do most people suck at it, especially the flying sections which are incredibly easy (here is a tip: don't bother to use homing on bosses)

You know what, you're probably right in it being fun if you are good at it, but at the end of the day it still has bad design decisions.
I should preface that I really enjoy playing Nier, despite people griping about the gameplay, and I am currently enjoying Drakengard 3 despite people complaining about that one as well.

The plot is incomprehensible in just... How people are all just nuts in that world. It's a cool world and setting but EVERYONE being evil is just hilarious, and then they all do horrible things constantly because they are evil.

Now you just make me want to run through it again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 01:49:10 am »

Ohh don't get me wrong Hawkfrost you are right about BAD design decisions.

The fact that some weapons take FOREVER to upgrade and often just dreadful even when you kill tons (and NO weapon is good until the 3rd and 4th form), the magic attack of weapons is dreadful (The Scythe is almost the only exception to this), Secrets are pretty much impossible to discover without a guide, the 'best' ending is near absolute nonsense, and the learning curve is obscured (Honestly the whole "Homing attacks suck for damage" isn't something you would know... since flying battles are done almost exclusively with homing).

Not to mention that those party members who join you? 100% useless... You are FAR superior to them.

As well the game suffers from what I call "Being smarter then its own good" as a few of the game developments are only loosely eluded to (The Nephilim for example are flat out not explained to my knowledge).

The worst game for being "too smart for its own good" is Final Fantasy 8 where you need a diagram to sort of unpack the story.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:14 am »

Ultima 8.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 01:55:12 am »

Ultima 8.

If you said Ultima 9 I might have to check you for sanity.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 02:28:20 am »

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Also known as the kicking simulator. Booting enemies makes them stagger a little, unless they're by a ledge, fire or spikes in which case they go hurtling back like you hit them with a wrecking ball.

The combat is unbalanced, the story is laughable and the plot twists are both predictable and cliché. The demon mode is atrociously weak, and it ends up fighting undead in crypts a lot, with none of the foot based combat that made it fun.

But god damn it, kicking blackguards and watching them sail backwards into spikes is so damn fun. The level up system rewarded you for completing objectives rather than killing so stealth was valid  kinda pretty too at times fighting through ramshackle huts built into the sides of an islands cliffs.
I really need to get around to beating that game sometime. Combat might have been ludicrously unbalanced but it was almost all fun. I liked how the enemies would start limping as they got more injured and might even try to run away.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10