Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: What is the -worst- game you like?  (Read 14609 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: What is the -worst- game you like?
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2015, 08:50:00 pm »

I can't tell if people like Titanfall or not. It got a lot of money, but I've heard complaints about the fact that there's so few maps, no real campaign, uninventive modes, unbalanced combat...

To be honest, occasionally it's the most engaging games which people complain the most about.  Not saying the best, but...  For example Payday 2.  Someone I know has complained about Payday 2 more than any other game in existence, and considers it unfinished.  But...  they've gotten so much out of it.  Not just hours, but unique experiences and a need to share them.

It's not really hypocritical, Payday 2 could be even more.  So could Dwarf Fortress, which I've complained about for hours IRL.  It's just hard to see a game that could so easily be much better (seemingly) and remember "Wow, this is at least three orders of magnitude above that shovelware I paid five actual dollars for".

The complaints you listed sound like the complaints of people who love the game, and are desperate for it to be better and larger in certain ways.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »

I agree with Rolan

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2015, 10:45:44 am »

Something, I don't get with Titanfall, is that its in a lot of ways the shooter that the FPS fanbase has been wanting.

No more fluff and greatly reduce tedious unlocks!

It has every category of gun covered, with a gun, so there wasn't mindless hours grinding unlocks to get that one particular gun, that is slightly different from the dozen or so guns like it.

And there a couple more things.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2015, 01:34:13 pm »

I enjoy the tedious gun unlocks that you have in games like Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, I guess that's why people don't like it because that's a good progress marker for me atleast.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2015, 03:05:50 pm »

People don't like Call of Duty because every single entry in the series is a reskin of the previous, with increasingly ridiculous stories and multiplayer full of obscenity screaming children.  I don't like  Titanfall because the developers went out of their way to insult the very foundation of western mech culture, and that is an excellent way to lose business.  Also, I really like Spore *runs*.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »

I don't think that some Call of Dutys are just a reskin, some games like Ghosts just didn't do it good, Black Ops 2 was the best in my opinion and AW added exo suits, we are at the very least moving in a direction towards changing them

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2015, 04:24:43 pm »

Mirror's Edge is my favorite game.

Yes, I play mainstream games, I play hipster indie games, I play a lot of games.  And my favorite one is THAT one.  I don't even play it any more because I've basically memorized every part of it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2015, 04:30:09 pm »

Except Mirrors Edge is a freaking masterpiece, so it cant be the worst game you like.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2015, 04:32:28 pm »

My only problem with Mirror's Edge is that it is too short. I NEED MORE!
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2015, 05:04:42 pm »

When I played it on PS2 long ago, I really liked True Crime: Streets of NY. Looking back, turns out it wasn't a very popular game, I think I recall quite a few bugs, too. Could never get the PC port to work in a way I liked. But I still really liked it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2015, 05:16:25 pm »

Except Mirrors Edge is a freaking masterpiece, so it cant be the worst game you like.
Yeah, I know.

Its just funny that its at the top of my very long list since its a flawed gem.

The worst... hmmm.  Lord of the Rings: Conquest?  Its a third person slasher that plays like it wants to be a FPS, its a class based game with serious, serious class imbalances, and it anally recreates the graphics of the movies while having a fairly... liberal view of the plot.  Oh and its got glitches, one of which allows the most overpowered class to use their basic ranged attack with less cooldown and while moving.

For all that its just... fun.  Its fun even though it isn't designed well.  It also has an evil campaign which starts with Frodo taking the ring for himself and then being killed by a Nazgul, and then you basically play as a bunch of orcs slaughtering all the good guys and heroes. One of the last missions is Aragorn and a bunch of Gondorians having a last stand on weathertop.  The last mission has you running into the shire and slaughtering old women hobbits.  Its simultaneously awful and hilarious, and it somehow feels like it fits in the universe even though its blatant fanfic.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »

When I played it on PS2 long ago, I really liked True Crime: Streets of NY. Looking back, turns out it wasn't a very popular game, I think I recall quite a few bugs, too. Could never get the PC port to work in a way I liked. But I still really liked it.
Yes, I am not the only one! I really liked the way the gameplay went. Something about the whole warning to arresting thing felt satisfying. As you say though, the PC port was developed by people who I imagine must have been having a brain hemorrhage at the time. Binding all the controls to the numpad, of all things...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2015, 06:39:31 pm »

For a while, there was a licensed Robocop game on Google Play to tie in with the new film. It was a Skinner box cash-grab type of thing, but it promised new enemies and locations all the way until the end of game. This was not a trivial game, by the way; without paying any real-world money, it could take days to get past a block of missions. It was kind of fun.

Another one since it took me so damn long to think of: the old video game adaptation of The Hobbit, from before Peter Jackson made it into three really dumb movies. For a shovelware Zelda clone it wasn't that bad, and the GBA version had some really catchy music.

I had the GBA version.  It was fun.  On a similar note the original Fellowship of the Ring game that came out before the movies was also surprisingly good.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »

OH WAIT NO

I remember the worst game that I like.  There was a licensed DS game for the Eragon movie.  You had swordfighting, bows, and these different magic runes you could draw on the touchpad, all of which could be leveled up separately.  The bow couldn't kill anything at the start but if you managed to level it up somehow it was great.

It was basically a hack and slash game but there were so few large-scale fight scenes it never really got to be one.  It had to follow the plot of the movie so it was super short, further compounded by the fact that the first third was tutorials and fetch quests and the last fight was a total gameplay shift.

But... if someone had used that system to make a game in an original universe... man that would have been fun.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:55 am »

My only problem with Mirror's Edge is that it is too short. I NEED MORE!
The announced then abandonned Mirror's Edge 2 has been re-announced at the last E3 (less than a month ago). There will be more ;)

Worst game I like ... HuniePop.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10