Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your favorite goals / challenges  (Read 3065 times)

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite goals / challenges
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 05:59:05 pm »

Yeah I (it seems so at least) play very carefully and I still get destroye in a very !!FUN!! and fun way. No real goals or challanges other than do stuff with magma, caverns, and of course the ever present CRUNDLE!!  :P
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »

I haven't played in a little while so some of them may not longer be applicable, but one thing I found about Dwarf Fortress is that it has an extremely steep learning curve, but once you learn it then your odds of losing drops to near zero (short of inevitable lag death, or bad luck). Once you learn to feed your dwarves and keep them reliably happy the only threat is invaders which are easy to deal with using traps, walls, archers, etc.

So, in the past, I would install a mod that added a huge amount of enemy races, some of them extremely strong (I forget the name now) and upped the chance of being attacked.

Then, I put the following rules into place:

1) I could never completely wall off my base, there always had to be an opening, I could use floodgates if I wanted to, and doors of course, but never walls or drawbridges.

2) I could not use traps. Instead 100% of my defense must be using militia.

3) I could not use "Danger rooms" (don't know if those are still common, but they were a way to get your dwarves extremely highly trained at combat quickly).

4) I could not use magma for smelting.

Those were the big ones, basically the idea was to make combat, or more specifically base defending, much more challenging.

Another unrelated challenge I tried once, which was great fun, was where you take your initial seven dwarves, dig down underground and carry in all your initial belongings (the stuff from the wagon), then you wall off the way back out and play the rest of the game never returning to the surface. While obviously you can't buy more stuff from traders, the big issue is you cannot get more dwarves (they'll still arrive, you just let them die somewhere). When each of your seven dwarves are incredibly valuable many decisions become more complicated and dangerous, for example near the only close water-source lived a cave crocodile. I had to kill it, it was glorious, even made armor out of it's hide to celebrate.

Eventually I lost it all to a forgotten beast which poisoned us all and ended things but it was a good run.

One final one, popular in the old days, was surviving in a glacier environment. In this case the challenge was water really, which took some doing (you'd have to dig out a pit, drop it down, so the ice would melt, then use that). Now though, with underground lakes, this one isn't as big of an issue.

And, of course, there is the old standby if setting up camp over an aquifer (the more layers the harder it is). This is the best one, perhaps, because after you master it you have a lot more choices of where to set up a base as well as an endless source of water if you need it.

Also, not exactly a challenge, but a while back I stopped using the various programs to manage dwarf jobs (not sure what the current one is, at the time it was Therapist). I ended up liking it much more this way, food for thought.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:17:26 pm by Mickey Blue »

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

Plumbing.

I like to have a large reservoir (possibly above ground water tower) to supply pressurized water to as many well rooms as possible.
All wells should be auto-fill without possibility of overflow. Also all wells should be drain-able for cleaning/maintenance.

My latest addition to this goal has been to have a "water main"
A large pipe with separate sections that can be sealed off and drained with a lever pull to accommodate new connections,
while leaving the other sections pressurized.
This has not been easy.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 12:32:32 pm »

I've always liked the idea of building an actual medieval castle with constructions instead of digging a hole in the ground and closing the door.  Sometimes embark on an aquifer to remove the temptation of going underground, but that tends to be boring. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:10 pm »

I've always liked the idea of building an actual medieval castle with constructions instead of digging a hole in the ground and closing the door.  Sometimes embark on an aquifer to remove the temptation of going underground, but that tends to be boring.

Yeah and tis near impossible to get stone without doing one of the many tedious methods to safely remove aquifiers.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 04:28:39 pm »

I made a survey with your challenges and goals. It's on a site called Clever Surveys, which makes predictions from survey answers. I was inspired by the Dwarf Fortress scenario generator to make a survey that predicts goals and challenges for people.

The site requires surveys to have normal responses before making predictions. That's what I'm linking here:
http://www.cleversurveys.com/survey/train/5641332169113600_5668600916475904/dwarf-fortress-fortress-mode-challenge-and-goal
Pages: 1 [2]