Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pets? Urist don't need to pet  (Read 1519 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pets? Urist don't need to pet
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:59:05 am »

Why does it take so long for dwarves to choose pets? I end up with some huge number of animals, and my dwarves never choose any pets.

(Yes, I let them hang out in the meeting hall / meeting areas where the dwarves idle.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pets? Urist don't need to pet
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:39 am »

Since you can't butcher pets (I think), it's probably a game balance issue to ensure that:
a) Dwarves don't starve
b) Players don't rage-quit when pet induced FPS death occurs.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:58:46 am »

AFAIK they choose pets based on preferences, if you don't have anyone that likes say- leopards, for example- then a stray leopard will never be adopted. The only exception is war/hunt training an animal and assigning it to a dwarf manually.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:25:45 am »

It's been a while since I've played, so I might be wrong, but in the Animals screen on the Stock menu, you can toggle pet availability, I think? Might be worth checking that to see if they're actually available.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 04:57:25 pm »

As far as I have observed, dwarves choose either boring common animals (aka : everything you can embark with) and exotic animals they like as pets.

Nothing else, and they will never adopt anything else.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:35 pm »

I tried this a while ago. I noticed my militia commander liked giant grasshoppers, so the next time one came on the map, I trained it and set it to be available. It was never claimed and died of old age at the beginning of the next year. Maybe we're missing something else.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:22:59 am »

I tried this a while ago. I noticed my militia commander liked giant grasshoppers, so the next time one came on the map, I trained it and set it to be available. It was never claimed and died of old age at the beginning of the next year. Maybe we're missing something else.

Did you allow him off duty long enough to adopt said pet? That's the only thing I can think of besides personality quirks. Maybe he preferred his solitude.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:29:44 am »

Did you allow him off duty long enough to adopt said pet? That's the only thing I can think of besides personality quirks. Maybe he preferred his solitude.

Yeah. I assume as well he was on duty, and therefore didn't adopt pets.

also the new giant insects live one year, that must be fixed... i mean GCS live like 20-30 years.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:32:38 pm »

I always get confused because the wiki is like "$animal has great pet value!" ... and then none of your dwarves will ever adopt it :/

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 06:34:45 pm »

I always get confused because the wiki is like "$animal has great pet value!" ... and then none of your dwarves will ever adopt it :/

Pet value is for trading. It's literally how much the creature is worth in dwarfbucks.