Poll

Where should the main group go next?

Spite
- 1 (100%)
The University
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: The Department of Menace Eradication (A Sunless Sea FATE campaign) - IC thread  (Read 18404 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Conall grunts and goes to retrieve the gun glove.
"Why do you even keep that old thing around if you aren't going to arm it?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Being stuck with two people you just met was better than being stuck with others whom you have no idea how to even converse with--there were mummies and squid-men, in Josephine's eyes, and she had no idea why it smelled like subtle rot despite the pungent aromas in the air.

"I have no idea how to converse with these folk," she said, honestly, "I'm new to London. Well, this London, anyway. Um, why are some places so bunched up? Don't these people talk with each other too?"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"'Tis an old trick, Josephine, you just imagine them in the nude. Yes... that always helps. Well, it helps me, anyway. But I forget myself, a gentleman shouldn't talk of such things in polite company." He adds with a wink.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Being stuck with two people you just met was better than being stuck with others whom you have no idea how to even converse with--there were mummies and squid-men, in Josephine's eyes, and she had no idea why it smelled like subtle rot despite the pungent aromas in the air.

"I have no idea how to converse with these folk," she said, honestly, "I'm new to London. Well, this London, anyway. Um, why are some places so bunched up? Don't these people talk with each other too?"
"I should doubt it's too different from the Surface, though I recollect little of it. And, as for the reason they're so bunched up...Well, I've heard it said that on the surface, talk is cheap. Down here, talk is the unofficial currency. And I don't speak in hyperbole; a dirty secret about a renown socialite could earn you more than all your worldly possessions.

But, I suppose if you'd like some guidance, I could say what certain types tend to talk about. Zailors are a superstitious lot; they'll know more about our mark than anyone else, most likely, but you'll have to get in their good graces, which means following a painfully asinine and arbitrary set of beliefs. Never go for something with wings, is a major one. Most are missing an eye, have a muddy look about them, and generally keep themselves well-armed. Er, moreso than your average Londoner does, that is.
The tomb-colonists are an odd sort. They'll know a lot too, but sooner or later your conversation will drift to one of three things: Their former duels, the prospect of adding another to that list with you, and indescribably dull monologues on architecture. And if you ask me, attempting and losing the second is better than the third.
The constables...They are prone to bribes, and being what they are, hear much of the rumours and stories of the city. I wouldn't recommend talking to them. If you do, avoid mentioning my name. Or my appearance. Really, act as though you've never met me. I didn't like New Newgate the previous times, I doubt I'll enjoy it should I take another round.
The academics will be able to tell us if we're dealing with some of the more unpleasant things in the Neath. But, they being the purveyors of secrets, have learned to keep their mouths shut if they value their fortune. You'll have to put a lot of coin in their hands before they'll say much.
The socialites...You can identify them by their fine suits and snobbish demeanor. They have nothing of importance to say, but if you fancy earning a few spare Echoes, they're woefully open about the gossip of London. Veritable gold mines of blackmail and secrets.
Don't bother striking up a conversation with the rubbery men. You'll not understand a word.
If we're lucky, or unlucky depending on how much you have in your purse, there'll be a few urchins about. The orphans of the city know a lot, able to pass unnoticed by most. Entrepreneurs, too. You'll likely be deeply in debt by the time you can wring something out of them. Doubtful they'd know much relevant to the matter at hand, but should we be hired to take down a mark here in the city? They'll be invaluable.
Devils are deeply connected to the secrets of the Neath. They'll be helpful too. But, be careful. Ensure you don't get seduced, and guard your soul carefully. Don't sign anything, whether you've read it or not, if you're dealing with one. Watch for yellow eyes."
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Josephine nodded at the Gentleman, forgetting the flip-side of the leniently casual conversations the gentry partook in, at times, though she did get his point. Distraction works.

Alright. Story time. I'm in the docks of Cairo. Evolution has taken Squid to a mixture of anthropomorphic conditions. This paradox has summoned the ancient pharaohs of old. We are in some kind of differing sea level, in which new life may thrive. Also the rich are snobs and the police are crooked.

"Thanks for the information...err, I don't think I caught any of yours names though,"
Josephine soon enough introduced herself.

"On the last part, please don't...mention the Devils. I've a thing with the supernatural. That, and I'll just sit here--unless anyone wants a drink? We can try asking the Constables as a start."

((I wonder if we can invoke my Trouble of misunderstanding-many-things//also hates devils, here :P))
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:47:38 am by Tiruin »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

Kate sighs, "I don't have the heart to take him apart. Plus, he's big and scary and deters thieves, so that's a bonus. Maybe he'll be useful some day, but I'd have to un-weld his feet from the floor." As if to prove a point, the sentinel's joints creak as if trying to take a step.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

McKillan looks towards Ulgurk.
"Worth bothering with the small time? Or should we go right in?"
Irregardless, he takes a gander at the stores to see if there's anything on the list for sale as he walks.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile

Ulgurk grunts. "Might get some more experimental stuff with the smaller shops, but I reckon we should go straight up to the more reputable merchants, in my experience they're cheaper and less likely to hire some bloody thieves to go through your pockets while you're shopping."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Mmm. Hold on, I might know a guy who used to sell "Navy Surplus" gear... Might be good for some cheap guns."
McKillan thinks back, trying to find that store.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:52:58 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

John & Ulgurk

The two head on further, looking for Carrow's Steel & Naval Surplus. Keeping their eyes on the street and their hands on their purse they forged their way through the crowd, which seemed to thicken more and more. It is a busy day in the Bazaar.

The crowd began to thin as they get closer to the inner sections of the Bazaar, partly because the wares begin to become too expensive for the common riff-raffs to purchase, and the Neddy Men do not take kindly to loiterers.

As they approached another arch, a Neddy Woman looked at John and Ulgurk appraisingly, her hand hovering above her baton. She looked away again and relaxed when she saw their burgeoning purses. "G'day, sirs." she said as they passed her.

Finally they reached the inner section of the Echo Bazaar. Thirteen shops surrounded the main spire of the Echo Bazaar. They head straight for the one with the guns and anchor sign.

Today, Mr. Carrow himself is manning the store. There are many guns and other weapons for self-defence on display, and the two may be able to browse around. The cheaper equipment are in display in the shop, but everyone knows he keep the more artful... and more dangerous ones in the back.

Guns (Tier 1): 20-30 Echoes
Blades (Tier 1): 30-40 Echoes

[Other miscellaneous equipments may be obtained using Resources.]

Sir Charles Groovington

Groovington did not hesitate for a chance to practise his flattery and bluffing. They are necessary skills for someone as high in society as him, after all.

Create Advantage - Rapport: (-)(+)( )(-) + 4 = + 3 (Good) VS + 1 (Average): Success.

The patrons of Caligula's Coffee House seemed to treat Groovington coldly at first. The Zailors snickered with open amusement at his attempt at flattery, the Constables tsked, the Academics seemed to not understand, the Devils... well, honestly they fell to his charms, and the Rubbery Men blorbled. However, soon they fell under his charms, and had decided to trust him and his associates. For now.

(Challenge rating lowered to Mediocre)

Jonathan Pendle

Pendle set to work with his interviewing.

Overcome - Rapport: (-)(-)(+)(+) + 1 = + 1 (Average) VS 0 (Mediocre): Success

The Tomb-colonists seemed mostly bemused by the name, that is, until one of them spoke suddenly. "He meant the Semiotic Surgeon." she said, casting her eyes at Pendle through the bandages. There were some oh indeeds and i sees, but soon the chatter died out and the Tomb-colonists were awkwardly looking at their coffee. "I thought so." she remarked, going back to her newspapers "You can go ask him yourself in Spite."

Conall & Kate

Conall retrieved the gun glove. It's experimental technology, and entirely too obvious to be concealed. However, he likely won't have to worry about dropping it. Given that it doesn't dislodge his hand when he use it, of course.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

John gives a sniff. "Geez. Not 't these prices."
He gives an annoyed growl, before turning to Mr Carrow."I've heard y' run a tab for us ratcatchers. If not... uh, can y'point us in the way of sommat a bit more... cheap?"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:25:32 am by Tack »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Pendle hurrumphed under his breath. He expected a foreboding tale of his mark's misdeeds, or a hushed murmur of fear at the name, not... Not gorram directions!
Well. If he was going to get directions, they may as well be proper ones.

"Spite is a large place, and I should think we both know you don't easily find places in the Fifth City by wandering. Do you have an address, or at least some sort of directions?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

Kate finally pulls out something that looks like a cross between a revolver and a space gun. "Aha! This should be perfect! Alright, c'mon! Let's hurry before those other two have all the fun!"
She slips her heavily modified pistol into its custom holster and rushes past the sentinel. "Bye, Charles! Be good!"

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Mini-Update

"Well, see, no one knows where he is. The ones who do... let's say they aren't coming back. The quickest way to draw him out is through the Black Ribbon Society, and if you don't know what that is then I'm afraid you don't want to meet him." it is quite obvious she doesn't know that Baker disappeared.

This is a dead end, or is it? Perhaps the only way really is to ask him.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Groovington struts from table to table, striking conversation while casually bringing up other subjects from the missing person list. If this Baker individual is so hard to find, it may be worthwhile to seek information on some of the less sneaky characters.

(( Use any free invokes on the Advantage created earlier ))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16