Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Feather/Glumprong Farming  (Read 2686 times)

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feather/Glumprong Farming
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:09:35 am »

Is there a problem with actually planting feather acorns and glumprong spores? I am not sure if this is a bug, since I know that there is a workshop that can grow full plants from seeds and that being able to grow those trees may be "too strong" or whatever, however I think that only humans have access to that workshop and I have not yet tested it yet. So, yeah, is this intentional and actually using the feather acorns/glumprong spores is not possible for non-humans?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Feather/Glumprong Farming
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:21:28 am »

I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but Dwarf, Gnome, and Succubus should have access to the SAWMILL and therefore the CUT_SMALL_GLUMPRONG and CUT_SMALL_FEATHER reactions which process farmed saplings.

What makes you think there's a bug?

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:18 am »

I cannot plant the seeds in the first place so I do not have saplings. That's the problem. I received all my seeds from the herbalist.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:44 am »

You're in an evil or good biome?

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:33 am »

Yes, in fact I am on both. I explicitly embarked on a good and evil biome so that I could cut the those trees, harvest their seeds, and farm them. Yet my farm plots do not have the option to plant either tree.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:27:07 am »

If you are in the correct biome, there's also this:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4549
It's been around so long i almost forget it's probably a bug, as opposed to just being the way the world works.  Not a Masterwork thing, and not specific to glumprong or featherwood though.

... If it is indeed related to 4549, the workaround is to harvest and process at least one wild one; then your farms should "activate"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:29:52 am by smakemupagus »

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 05:52:31 am »

Well that is odd. For one, I had to process the things in the herbalist in the first place to get the seeds and I had already made items out of both types of wood. I thought things were "reset" since I had to abandon my fortress (evil biome after all), so I tried to do all of that again.

So I processed both through the herbalist (extract feathers/blood), cut both types of logs in the saw mill, and made a bin out of both types in the carpenter, and I am seeing no change in the farm plots' task selection.

Anything specific I should try?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 07:49:44 am »

Issues with treefarming are fairly common, it was decided on this thread that the only cure was to find the saplings in the wild from plant-gathering. Apparently there's a small chance for them to appear as a shrub.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:12:48 pm »

Issues with treefarming are fairly common, it was decided on this thread that the only cure was to find the saplings in the wild from plant-gathering. Apparently there's a small chance for them to appear as a shrub.

I see. Geez, that is going to be rough trying to get the glumprong. Thanks for the tip.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:18 pm »

build a roof over the evil area, and channel out the area under it =) no more rain issues, can seal it with walls to prevent gasses... =)

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »

Oddly enough, I don't see the evil clouds in any of the embarks I make (and I have been embarking in a lot of evil areas lately for this special tree farming business). Mostly I just get spontaneous zombies, evil rain, or both. The worst I've ran into are flying zombies and the muck rain that makes dwarves fall unconscious *shudders*. But that is a pretty good idea so long as my miners and masons don't get torn apart by zombie owls or something in the process.

Anyway, I did do the sapling gathering thing and that indeed worked, though glumprong saplings seem way more rare than feather saplings. This bug really makes things difficult to try and farm glumprong for a lot of reasons (like glumprong not growing in all evil areas, saplings being very rare to spawn, requirement to send dwarves into evil areas, and plants in evil areas usually dying faster than they can be collected) so I hope it gets fixed eventually.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 12:31:08 am »

so I hope it gets fixed eventually.

According to the bugtracker it was fixed in 0.40.10

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »

That I had this problem in the first place makes me have to question that.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »

Depends whether you're playing Masterwork stable release 6.2 or a version of the alpha "Reborn".  Only the latter would yet have any changes from Dwarf Fort 0.40.x.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:10:53 pm »

Depends whether you're playing Masterwork stable release 6.2 or a version of the alpha "Reborn".  Only the latter would yet have any changes from Dwarf Fort 0.40.x.

Ah, yeah that would do it. I'm playing on the former since I'm not sure how much Reborn has implemented yet so I am not sure if I could make an easy transition yet. It would suck spending so much time learning how to use the Masterwork implementations only to lose them in a still developing version.
Pages: [1] 2