Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a certian type of game  (Read 2758 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for a certian type of game
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:42:33 am »

Don't know why, but I a have the urge to play a top down RGP with absurd amounts of different types of loot, classes, and places. Preferably free and yes I have already played Elona. Maybe Elona-like with slightly better graphics/animation and items that show up on your character. A game where there is a ton to explore and do.

However I expect if such a game existed it would be pretty well known by now and I would have found it. Here's hoping!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a certian type of game
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:19:40 am »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:22:30 am »

ToME?
Yep played it. But I'm looking for something that doesn't require thinking out everything you are going to do. Not looking for a permanent death situation.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:29:35 am »

That'un's exploration or debug mode, then. Infinite lives, on the spot full respec. No thinking necessary~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 06:23:53 am »

I'm assuming you've played all of the wizards of the coast (baldurs gate, IWD, NWN and so on) games?
Dungeon Siege 1-3 are good for looting although I find them a bit dull personally.

Have you played the Ultima games? There are a ton of oldschool rpg's/dungeon crawlers which have a lot of what you want, although many aren't top down and many may seem difficult to use in comparison to todays games.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 07:16:25 am »

Perhaps Spiderweb games like Avernum? However it doesn't have an absurd amount of classes, but again which RPG does? I've played tons of RPGs from Balrdur's Gate to ToEE, but all of them had a moderate amount of classes at best. One thing is for sure, you are looking for some indie RPG, since the big, commercial RPGs won't have the stuff, what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:21:23 am by gimli »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 12:12:21 pm »

Titan Quest has lots of class combinations, places, and loot.  It a diablo-like so it can get repetitive though.  One of the cool things about that game was mobs actually used whatever loot they will drop when they die.  It was pretty awesome to be killing a boss when he would two shot you with that unique he's carrying, and you knew he had it because you can visually see it.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »

Well, "Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" seems to be something your kinda looking for, despite it's age. Classes aren't much of a thing, but there are types of builds that allow for different types of gameplay and there's a meter that determines for how magicky or technological your character is. Your character is defined on what skills you learn, what weapon you use, whether you use magick or technology, what bonus/debilitations you took, what kind of person you are, what schools of magick or technology you use, whether you can be called a good or bad person, ect.
If you don't like Arcanum, I guess you could try Sacred 1 or 2, which does have a fair bit of stuff but that has to be judged by yourself.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 04:36:18 pm »

Haha, yes I have played almost all these games, which would explain why I am having trouble finding more that I like. Sadly games like Baldur's gate that I would actually like to finish are inaccessible to me now and cost too much for what will basically be half a game for me now.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 05:31:27 pm »

Have you considered MUDs?  They're command line driven, not graphical top down games, but they tend to have all sorts of goodies.  The one I like to play is basically empty these days so I'll let someone else recommend some popular ones.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »

Yep I've played MUDs. Some of them are good, but I'm looking for something to play with my brain half off.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 06:27:25 pm »

The best thing I could think of if you supposedly played all of the above would just be something extremely moddable with all the mods in the history of ever, if your looking for something with TOO much stuff.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »

The Temple of Elemental Evil?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:49 pm »

Dins Curse?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 01:08:59 am »

as some suggested titan quest and dungeon siege... there is also the game series "sacred" that is mostly combat and loot gathering like diablo, at least sacred1 and sacred2... sacred 3 is a different bag of bees.

s1 http://store.steampowered.com/app/12320/
s2 http://store.steampowered.com/app/225640/
Pages: [1] 2