Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Bucket full"  (Read 3407 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Bucket full"
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »

Why does my well always say "bucket full"? I keep having to fix it with dfhack's drybuckets.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Bucket full"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:16:57 pm »

I've seen this in two different cases. One was when trying to make a waterfall fall through my well. The falling water kept filling the bucket. The second was playing with Masterwork DF and having an ice mage's blizzard elemental freeze the water. I'd imagine anything that freezes the water in the bucket could do it, are you in a very cold climate with your well outside?

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:45:55 pm »

It's an inside well with a cistern, and it's not freezing outside...

I *do* get nasty rain ooze that my dwarves keep washing themselves clean from using the well. Maybe the ooze is somehow causing it?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:58 pm »

Is there any side effect?
Because I saw that happened but I never did anything to fix it.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:53 pm »

I think the well doesn't work until it's clear

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:19:09 pm »

Sometimes my well is full, when it isn't being lowered. It's still usable, though. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

A bucket holds 10 water, while a dwarf only drinks 1. The rest should stay in the bucket. That's probably the explanation.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:22:59 pm »

The well does not work until the bucket is empty, I only noticed the problem when I saw dwarves going outside to wash and get water for the injured. I too used dfhack's "drybuckets" command to fix the problem. Otherwise, I think you have to disassemble the well and rebuild it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:49 am »

I found that building two wells into the same cistern (A few tiles apart, the cistern is deep and wide) solved this problem: Neither of them were bucket full, whilst if there's only one well, I get "bucket full" all the time.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:05:15 am »

The well does not work until the bucket is empty, I only noticed the problem when I saw dwarves going outside to wash and get water for the injured. I too used dfhack's "drybuckets" command to fix the problem. Otherwise, I think you have to disassemble the well and rebuild it.

I see bucket full all the time and the well never stops working.

BTW, I always set water source only.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:48:44 pm »

What? You don't like your dwarves fishing from the well?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »

I found that building two wells into the same cistern (A few tiles apart, the cistern is deep and wide) solved this problem: Neither of them were bucket full, whilst if there's only one well, I get "bucket full" all the time.

Unfortunately this has not worked for me. Did you make the new one closer to the main area dwarves would come from?

n3bux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:49 pm »

i've got this problem some days ago. and i fixed it with deconstructing the well and making another one in the same place with an empty bucket this time. the bug is caused by buckets filled before the construction of the well. drybuckets command from dfhack works

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »

What if you just design a pond. Dorfs will at least try to find a bucket to fill the pond, I just tested.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:57:58 pm by utunnels »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 06:14:02 am »

Unfortunately this has not worked for me. Did you make the new one closer to the main area dwarves would come from?

Oh. Sorry my method doesn't work for you.

The first time I did it it was entirely unintentional: The wells were by design in different rooms, one with a deep natural wall shaft from two levels above, the other only one level above the water. I was just trying to have wells available in different areas, one for hospital, the other for a bed/diningroom complex, and figured I could use the same cistern if there was absolutely no way dorfs would try to climb from one level to the other. For some reason, the second well got "forgotten" to be built for about six months or more, and when it was built, suddenly the "bucket full" tag was gone for good on Well #1.

Since then I've almost always put two or three wells into the same cistern, usually from different levels. It's just convenient to only have to flush one cistern, instead of three. Plus less cisterns to dig... So perhaps it's because they're often on more than one level above the water? Or perhaps because they are always in different seperate rooms, not right next to each other? Or perhaps Urist McFillbucketandleaveit gets confused and doesn't know which well to go and prank first? Your guess is as good as mine...

I keep a small bucket-only stockpile (6 buckets total) a short distance from each of my wells (perhaps two or three tiles away). That could be a factor as well, I guess. It's because otherwise, there are buckets scattered messily around the well, which annoys me... But perhaps they are using those buckets to haul away the water?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »

i've got this problem some days ago. and i fixed it with deconstructing the well and making another one in the same place with an empty bucket this time. the bug is caused by buckets filled before the construction of the well. drybuckets command from dfhack works

Unfortunately this didn't work for me either. When I deconstructed the first well, the bucket issue occurred on the second well. I rebuilt the first well, and it has the issue again. :/
Pages: [1] 2