Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ᕙ(`▽´)ᕗ (BETA RPG) Magia Exquisitis: Blacklight OOC and Sign-Up Thread ᕙ(`▽´)ᕗ  (Read 6099 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

This is an interest check for an RPG I have been building on-and-off with a handful of fellow b12ers since 2012. This particular campaign will be Co-GMed by myself and Taricus.

The setting that will be most explored will be modern fantasy, but realms of High Fantsy and Space Opera exist within the multiverse and can be visited. You will be playing as characters who have just discovered the secrets of magic, and hired by an unknown employer for a job that promises great pay, free room and board, and the chance to hone your control over the supernatural.

This campaign will feature forum turns, as well as live sessions on maptools. The sessions will take place evenings Pacific Time on a day to be determined once I know what works for my players.

The rules can be found on the wiki (http://magia-exquisitis.wikidot.com/), but don't go creating your characters via the wiki rules just yet; Some of the classes are incomplete or need redoing, and I'll prioritize fixing the ones that people are interested in playing. Furthermore, most of your cool abilities will be custom made for your character and not grabbed right off the Wiki.

If interested, Please fill out the application at the bottom of this post. There are four open spots, and two spots reserved for DevTeam members Lillipad and KujiUn, making for six players total. For the open spots, players will be picked based on quality of application and schedule compatibility with other applicants. When and if you are accepted, one of the other DevTeam members or myself will help you make a proper character sheet.

---

The Invitation

To: A Poor, Confused, and Endangered Soul
Re: An Offer of Employment, Growth, and Protection

Strange things have been happening around you, and eventually you assumed that they were your fault. Then you began to exert a degree of control over these happenings, and you knew for that they were your fault. People like you, budding mages, are prime targets for slavers, mind harvesters, rouge manipulators, gangs, and other unpleasant things that you would be much better off not dealing with. Luckily I found you first.

I represent Blacklight, a newly formed Urban Management company based in Washington D.C., and we are looking for young mages to serve on our Street Team. If you are getting this email, you have already been vetted and pre-approved for the job. The work is challenging, exciting, and occasionally dangerous, but the hours and pay are great. In addition to the pay, a benefits package including board, meals, medical expenses, and resurrection in case of death is provided to all employees. Perhaps more importantly, you will get the opportunity to rub elbows with established members of the non-mundane community, and lean to both fit in and further your craft.

Attached is a plane ticket to D.C. from an airport near you, good for a flight on the 21st of April, 2015. Settle your boring mortal affairs, pack light, and enjoy your flight. :)

-Laurezabelle 'Laura' Scratch

Founding Partner and CEO
Blacklight

PS, feel free to reply with any questions. I can't get too specific over email, but I'll do anything I can to make this less of a leap of faith on your part.

---

The Application

Character Name:

Class: (The list of classes can be found here: http://magia-exquisitis.wikidot.com/classes. Just go off the basic description on the class index page listed, and any fluff posted on the class page when picking. Most of your features and spells will be custom made for your character, and the ones listed on the wiki may be subject to change in the near future)

Theme/Style: (How does your character physically perform his/her magic? Describe very briefly, and don't be so specific as to limit yourself):

Preferred Meeting Date: (Chose any night or nights except Wednesday and/or Friday. We will likely meet sometime between 4 and 7 Pacific Time.)

Character Background: (Quality of backstory is the major factor in deciding who gets in the game. Feel free to go crazy here.)

IC Response to Laurezabelle's Email:

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

Character Name: Albert Gruber
Location of Origin: A quaint village in Germany.  Has been living in Munich since he got his familiar.

Class: Manipulator

Theme/Style: When a soul is collected, it is transformed into a small strip of fabric and added to the bracelet that Albert wears on his left hand.  They are called into this form by his familiar Charles a fey sprite who often is nearby as a bird or other smallish creature.  Together they specialize in soul binding and illusioncraft.

Preferred Meeting Date: Any day between those times is fine.

Character Background: One year ago, Albert's village disappeared around him.  Everything he knew and everyone he loved was gone, down to the lice he had just become infested with.  It was replaced by a massive and overgrown forest in the middle of nowhere.  At that point, a very disgruntled Charles made contact with him.  The child that Charles had been watching, and had hoped to mold into a manipulator, had also disappeared.  Charles promised Albert that, if he took him as a familiar, that he would help him put his life back together and find the person or peoples responsible.  Of course, that hasn't been going too well as Albert has been living in a shady hotel since then, as no one can find any record of his little village ever existing in the first place and as such, he has no money.  His primary source of income has been trading captured souls and soul fragments to some rather shady merchants, who don't pay well for anything below human.

IC Response to Laurezabelle's Email: I'm in, I hope that your lodgings have hot water.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:26:45 pm by MrVoid »
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Ooh, sheet inbound eventually. Oh wait, whoops, live sessions. That counts me out, methinks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:08:35 pm by Harry Baldman »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

Not interested in live sessions but I'm curious and might make a sheet for fun anyway. What kind of things can conjurers conjure/unconjure? Like beings? Energy? And if I can summon fire can I make a fireball despite the fact that fire doesn't work that way? Like will it be assumed that I'm just conjuring a highly combustible liquid and launching it? And does stuff I send through come through the spell of another other dimensional conjurer or does it just pop up? If I chose runes as my style can I enchant things?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:09:02 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

Character Name: Sakura Eisen
Location of Origin: Japan, Tokyo.

Class: Internal Mage

Theme/Style: Magitech power armour with magic girl styling. Google 'Madoka Titus' for a good image of what that look like. Sakura tend to punch and kick her foes to death/unconscious with the odd laser beam mix in for that gun user who think he safe over there.

Preferred Meeting Date: 7 is midnight for me so never on a Saturday because paper round in morning and if I get a proper job, I'll update with details.

Character Background: Sakura was a normal 13 year old teenager waiting for puberty to hit when an ufo did it instead. The hitting, not the puberty. With all hands on board dead, the failing A.L. noticed the dying human and decided to save at least one being. After inserting a repurpose combat unit and rewriting it's A.I. to assist the human in it's uses, the ship A.I. ordered it to march the unconscious human away from any [men in black](TL to human lingo) and finally shut down for good. Sakura was understandingly confuse and surprised at waking up in a ditch and having a voice in her head. After calming down and a six week 'training', Sakura and the A.I., which she christen Libra for the month of her 'birth', went vigilante for three months. Then the magic underworld of Japan got wind of 'her' and Sakura decided to go to ground before the magic triad narrowed the net to her family.
Now 17, Sakura was sent an E-mail. After a moment panic of 'How did they find me!?' before reading the part about Washington D.C.. Deciding this job sounded perfect, she said yes to the offer and 'explained' she got a job to her family since they didn't know about Libra and the magitech before packing to head off.

IC Response to Laurezabelle's Email: Yes, I would love the job and I do have one question. How the fuck did you find me when those guys on my doorstep failed?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:04:00 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

Not interested in live sessions but I'm curious and might make a sheet for fun anyway. What kind of things can conjurers conjure/unconjure? Like beings? Energy? And if I can summon fire can I make a fireball despite the fact that fire doesn't work that way? Like will it be assumed that I'm just conjuring a highly combustible liquid and launching it? And does stuff I send through come through the spell of another other dimensional conjurer or does it just pop up? If I chose runes as my style can I enchant things?

I wouldn't recomend making a sheet just for fun. The Genius of Magia is that the pre-packaged stuff is just there as an example for GMs and Players, as serving as a list of magical 'common knowledge' that can be easily researched anywhere. The GM gets to come up with most of the stuff that goes on the sheet, and that is alot of work for somebody not in the game.

...That said, I'll answer your questions anyway as they hit on some things I'm sure others would like to know.

The classes are more how you do your magic than what kind of magic you do. Conjurations are pretty open ended; In a previous campaign, we had a Conjurer who created non-visual illusions.

Runes would likely have more to do with rituals, and usually rituals have little to do with your class unless you are a Cultist.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

Well what kind of things would be enchantment? Like just conjuring entire magic weapons from other dimensions? And is the give/take mechanic quality or quantity based? like if you summon five swords do you need to give five sords or five rocks of the same weight or five sword shaped rocks? Also how open ended are the individual spells? Like would it be a conjure weapon spell, conjure sword spell or conjure rapier spell?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The classes are more how you do your magic than what kind of magic you do. Conjurations are pretty open ended; In a previous campaign, we had a Conjurer who created non-visual illusions.
So would my character be a Internal Mage because of Cybernetic or a Martial Mage because the Sample Codes of Honor is her aside from protection of honor strangely enough and take a 'with great power...' cause instead?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

So would my character be a Internal Mage because of Cybernetic or a Martial Mage because the Sample Codes of Honor is her aside from protection of honor strangely enough and take a 'with great power...' cause instead?

I'd say you are better off with Internal, but you can make Martial Mage work with that background if you want to.

Well what kind of things would be enchantment? Like just conjuring entire magic weapons from other dimensions? And is the give/take mechanic quality or quantity based? like if you summon five swords do you need to give five sords or five rocks of the same weight or five sword shaped rocks? Also how open ended are the individual spells? Like would it be a conjure weapon spell, conjure sword spell or conjure rapier spell?

The give/take mechanic is open ended, and you don't nesescarily have to be perfectly balanced if you can live with the consequences. Conjurer is actually one of the few classes I am unlikely to change much about, so feel free to use the mechanical information on that class page to figure out how the give and take works. You can, for example, have a spell to banish your foes or deposit your own pain and injuries that you may use to balance out your conjuring of a magical weapon. 

You could theoretically make a spell as broad or narrow as you want it to be during game play. I'd likely give you something like conjure sword or conjure rapier as a starting spell... or perhaps an uncontrollable conjure weapon spell that lets the RNG or GM pick what you get. A spell that lets you get whatever weapon you want is just a bit much for a starting spell. :p

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

I can just imagine the things that could pop as a weapon for low RNG numbers.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Internal it is.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Hahaha, IN!
I'm going to make an Industry-based Internal Mage.
(specifically a worker from 1919 transported to modern times)
Spoiler: Robert Ganzen (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:05:34 pm by Powder Miner »

Professor Anise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HERE WE GO

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:08:53 am by Professor Anise »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

Posting for interest. And a character submission. Zane Locklear, Blind Druid Trickster Person inbound.

Spoiler: Zane Locklear (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:10:20 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:12:19 am by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4