Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 4327 times)

Alendar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Am I the only one?
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:53:48 am »

Two things. First, ive waited 10 years for any sign of goblin aggression. Nothing. Not even a baby snatcher. Keep in mind this is a fort with well over a million wealth, in a normal region with access to everything and near the other civs by a few tiles. So I decided to try to remedy the situation with df hack, and gave myself over 30 million wealth in adamantine and still no goblins. Lots of forgotten beasts and the like. Its getting old. This has happened on like three forts in the 2014 version, whats the deal? Are sieges nerfed?

And two, am I the only one having issues with actually being capable of having idlers. I know that sounds weird but at a fortress with 147 dwarfs is it just excellent micromanagment or normal to consistently have 0 idlers?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:12:03 am »

I read that goblin civ with not enough population will not launch a siege.
Goblins with no direct path to your fortress will not make it to siege you.
Meaning, any brook, stream, any water or any mountain that can block a path to you.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:56 am »

I have the same problem. As stated already, looks like the goblin civ turned out to be to small... again.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:32 am »

Well it depensd. Once you generate a new world, export information and check their populations.
Sometimes there're almost no goblins, sometimes there are tens of thousands of them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:52:28 am »

Meaning, any brook, stream, any water or any mountain that can block a path to you.
Very likely the biggest problem, with default settings there are brooks , streams and river everywhere, so it means you have much more chances of never see a goblin siege than see one.
Even on worlds with goblin sites having thousands of population it has happened often that i never saw any of them going to siege.

It seems the more sure way to get a siege is to embark in the area of a tower, necromancer+their undeads so far never failed to siege me.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:38 am »

Goblins with no direct path to your fortress will not make it to siege you.
Not the case according to Toady One.

Quote from: Putnam
They walk over the land on a path avoiding water
Does this mean that (invaders) avoid rivers? If so, will they simply give up if the fort is surrounded by rivers, or will they just go right over?

Ah, yeah, I should have been less vague -- Knight Otu clarified that I meant oceans and lakes.  The bridging/fording problem is being ignored until we dig in a bit.  Overall the regional pathfinding should be a lot easier than the fort pathing.  Even though we don't have the map at every resolution away from the play area, it doesn't change that often and the effect of bridges etc. can be tracked.  It already knows river width everywhere.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »

In .40.24, I've found that I can't reliably get goblin sieges without checking legends before embark, and choosing my site based on what I find there. Look at each goblin civ. Note which ones are thriving (thousands to tens of thousands of goblins) and which ones are struggling (tens to hundreds of goblins). Note which ones have active wars with a dwarven civilization. Then when you select your embark site, make sure it's located near a thriving goblin civilization. If that civ is at war with a dwarven civilization, choose to play as the dwarven civilization they are at war with. Make sure that multiple of their sites are within 5-10 tiles of your site, taking into account having to path around mountains, lakes, and oceans. When I do this, I usually get goblin attacks by the 2nd year, and so far always within the first 4 years. When I don't do this, and just look for goblins to be listed in the embark screen, I often end up near a goblin civ without enough inhabitants to send much of a siege, or at a site which isn't actually accessible to the goblins.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 09:40:58 pm »

I don't think I've had any baby snatchers since the trees update. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:34:50 am »

I can have 120 dorfs and 0 idlers. For years. It's just good micromanagement.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:46:24 am »

I don't think I've had any baby snatchers since the trees update.

I haven't seen or heard of anyone else seeing a single baby snatcher in fortress mode in any .40.xx version. You can find them in adventure mode, and I do get news of kidnappings from my liason occasionally, so they are still active in the world outside of player forts. Goblin ambushes seem to be a lot rarer than in previous versions as well, but I have seen 2 of them myself, and seen a handful of others claiming to have seen them.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:13 am »

The answer is very simple. The reason you are not getting sieges is *drums* your fort is too far away from goblin civilizations. They won't bother going to you because it's so far.

Long, overly detailed unneccessary answer that somehow everyone on this site has to put: Anything from a little beak to being surrounded by massive mountains will stop the goblins from getting to you. The odds of this increase as you go further away from the goblin civs, making it generally caused by being far away. Having tons of wealth will increase the chances of a goblin attack of some sort, but not if you can't get one at all of course.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:59 pm »

I haven't seen or heard of anyone else seeing a single baby snatcher in fortress mode in any .40.xx version. You can find them in adventure mode, and I do get news of kidnappings from my liason occasionally, so they are still active in the world outside of player forts. Goblin ambushes seem to be a lot rarer than in previous versions as well, but I have seen 2 of them myself, and seen a handful of others claiming to have seen them.

Goblins don't have the [AMBUSHER] token in the current raws, not sure about older versions.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 01:26:28 pm »

Goblins don't have the [AMBUSHER] token in the current raws, not sure about older versions.
There is no such token listed anywhere in DF2014:Creature token.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 02:48:04 pm »

There is no such token listed anywhere in DF2014:Creature token.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#AMBUSHER

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 06:30:29 pm »

If I recall correctly, the [AMBUSHER] token causes them to do elf-style ambushes where they sneak around and take pot shots, and you get the message "A <race> has sprung from ambush!" when you spot one. Goblin ambushes are more like a tiny siege without the force of vile darkness announcement and the message "An ambush! Curse them!" when you spot them. Goblins didn't have the [ABMBUSHER] tag in .34.11 either, but still sent ambushes of a different type than the elves (who have that tag in both .34.11 and .40.24)
Pages: [1] 2