Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing items available on embark?  (Read 999 times)

esise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing items available on embark?
« on: March 19, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »

I hope this is the right forum to post my question in.

How do I change the items available to my dwarves on embark? For example, typically only the subterranean dwarven crops and their seeds are available: plump helmets, cave wheat, etc. However, I would like it so I can take aboveground human crops, such as single-grain wheat. I know I could buy these items off traders later, or harvest aboveground crops on arrival, but I would prefer it to be the specific challenge play I have in mind from the off.
In addition, what is it that determines the small variations in item availability at embark? Such as whether iron anvils or steel anvils are available.

Thank you in advance.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing items available on embark?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

You get what your civilization (entity) has. Dwarves don't have the OUTDOOR_FARMING token, which means they don't practice growing aboveground treehugger crops in any significant amount. Give them that tag and they'll have access to whatever stuff they can find and act/trade accordingly. Arctic dwarves will probably have more rye and barley than millet.

Same applies to what metal ores your civilization has lying around its area of influence. It's an unfortunate blind spot in the system that stuff produced by PERMITTED_REACTIONs are always available to your civ even if the ingredients aren't. If you only have access to steel anvils, your dwarves are probably confined to a small mountain region without a speck of iron.

Examine the entity token list to see what switches you can twiddle around. Remember, just about everything related to entities only is applied during worldgen. You need to make a new world to see your changes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:06:22 pm by scamtank »

esise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing items available on embark?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:23:41 am »

Thanks, scamtank!