Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any MUD players on Bay12?  (Read 5000 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Any MUD players on Bay12?
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:59:13 am »

I wonder why I don't see more DF-inspired stuff in MUDs, considering they share common values with roguelikes.

I regularly get away with naming my characters through language_dwarf or using famous DF stories as background.

(I refer to Wikipedia for those unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Any MUD players on Bay12?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:00:26 am »

I've been a member of a MUD since 2005, called Mystic Adventure.  It's kind of barren these days.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:07:35 am »

Nop, but I always wanted to try one. Which is the best MUD nowadays? The best & most complex to be precise which has an active playerbase.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:30 am »

I played way too much Realms of Despair back in the day. Good times :)

I never really found another MUD client that I liked after my preferred one went out of development, which is I big reason why I stopped playing MUDs.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:17:47 am »

I used to play WoTMUD, from around 1998 on and off for nearly ten years.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:21 am »

Well, I play Carrion Fields MUD.
Complex enough that no two characters are ever the same.
Has potential for unfolding great storylines because you are required to stay in-character 100% of the time, and encouraged to have a backstory and agenda.
Brutal with PvP. Like, Game of Thrones level of brutal.

Looks like I answered my own question about what sets DF apart, though: MUDs aren't simulationist, by and large. Not many have crafting systems worth mentioning either. I've been working on one in my own MUD (in Russian).

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:58 am »

Bit of Frian and discworld, but I was always more the mush'er then MUD'er.

And aren't they all kinda baren now?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:32:47 am »

Played the original hellmoo version till it exploded due to admin infighting, played the other versions that spawned for it as well, specialy hatemoo which was a less grindy and more fun version of it, but it died as well, and the only surviving variant is the old, grindy one with more limited pvp, which is why I stopped playing. Played Armageddon MUD for a little while but, while it seemed interesting with the whole enforced roleplay thing, it was actualy more then a chore then an actual fun experience, so I quit shortly after.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:15 pm »

And aren't they all kinda baren now?
Armageddon and Carrion Fields are not barren.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:05:29 pm »

Armaggedon seems like a pretty good MUD, but one that requires a fair bit of dedication and time to actualy be fun, since its pretty deep. My life's been rather busy lately so its not the ideal MUD for me, but I recommend it to anyone who has a decent ammount of free time.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »

!! I found something to investigate. I don't know a thing about this MUD-things (i can see myself in this)

Thanks for this
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 02:54:55 pm »

Been a member of Forgotten Kingdoms MUD for almost six years, still playing from time to time. Great thing to have when you're stuck (without a smartphone to fill your time otherwise) somewhere where no downloads to the computer are allowed.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 03:25:55 pm »

used to play ArcticMUD a fair bit in the mid 90's till World of Warcraft.  it was a modded DikuMUD done in the Dragonlance setting.  It's still up but another one of them barren MUDs these days.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »

I keep weirdly thinking back to, uh.  I don't remember the name actually.  Oh, Lusternia.  Player-controlled factions and guilds and everything, that was probably the most fun part of it.  The only problem was the population couldn't really support it the way it deserved.  Like, I played a spiked chain monk.  This was probably the smallest guild and if I wanted a chain I had to make it myself.  I was probably level 30 before I actually got one cause the training weapons we let people use while they made their own were locked in a case and nobody knew where the key was.

The combat though was the thing everybody knew about it, that and the cost :T

There were like a million different afflictions with a zillion different ways to cure them, most cures could be used in multiple ways to cure multiple afflictions, when I played I actually knew them all but I have no idea how I memorized it.  Combat was crazy fast and most decent players relied on a complex system of macros to keep themselves alive while they attacked.  Most people had effectively infinite amounts of the cures you needed.  A battle between competent players might last for ten or fifteen minutes or longer and is basically both players trying to maneuver themselves into a position where they can get a lock, afflictions that mutually exclude each other's cures.  Like if you break both his arms he can't apply salves to fix them, but he can smoke special herbs.  If you break his windpipe he can't smoke but he can apply a salve.  Do both and he's in trouble.

It was fun, but it ended up costing you a lot of money if you were seriously into the combat.  You could probably do well in just the roleplay aspects without spending money though.
Shoes...

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 04:39:20 pm »

What do you all think of MUME (based on Tolkien's Middle-earth and stands for Multi-Users in Middle-earth) ?
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."
Pages: [1] 2 3