Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any MUD players on Bay12?  (Read 4997 times)

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Any MUD players on Bay12?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »

What do you all think of MUME (based on Tolkien's Middle-earth and stands for Multi-Users in Middle-earth) ?

It seems a bit dead . . .
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »

I played Achaea obsessively when I was out of work and depressed like a decade ago.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 06:30:26 pm »

I played Achaea obsessively maybe six or seven years ago.  Good times, I liked Lusternia more but Achaea definitely had the bigger population.  God this is making me want to play again, real bad.  Maybe not Iron Realms, but a similar PVP RP-enforced MUD.
Shoes...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 01:30:53 am »

I remember Discworld being insidiously addictive by not being too addictive. Realized it wasn't actually that fun after a few sleepless nights and stopped playing and have managed to stay clean for a few years now. It is still probably the best MUD I've ever played though.

I keep trying to get into the Cthulhu MUD and then re-realizing that it kinda sucks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 08:16:46 am »

Uh, I just saw this and apparently its from a MUD, but it looks vaguely Dwarf Fortressy:

You: What rumors have you heard?
Sigur, King consort: I have heard rumors of plans to assassinate the King.
You: Tell me more.
Sigur, King consort reveals herself as Ezumkra, the Ashen-Tooth Demon of Lies!
Ezumkra, the Ashen-Tooth Demon of Lies grabs Rigoth, Dwarf king by the head!
Ezumkra, the Ashen-Tooth Demon of Lies grabs Rigoth, Dwarf king by the head, pulping it!

Sigur, King consort: They say a demon plots for the King's death.
You: I must leave.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 12:03:38 pm »

Uh, I just saw this and apparently its from a MUD, but it looks vaguely Dwarf Fortressy:

You: What rumors have you heard?
Sigur, King consort: I have heard rumors of plans to assassinate the King.
You: Tell me more.
Sigur, King consort reveals herself as Ezumkra, the Ashen-Tooth Demon of Lies!
Ezumkra, the Ashen-Tooth Demon of Lies grabs Rigoth, Dwarf king by the head!
Ezumkra, the Ashen-Tooth Demon of Lies grabs Rigoth, Dwarf king by the head, pulping it!

Sigur, King consort: They say a demon plots for the King's death.
You: I must leave.
It actually is attributed to Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode, but some digging told me it doesn't originate there. Not sure whether that means it is fake or simply from somewhere else though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:16:02 pm by Demonic Spoon »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:01 pm »

Here's the image associated with it. It looks like it was being played through mushclient.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 12:28:31 pm »

Here's the image associated with it. It looks like it was being played through mushclient.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know. Imagesearch just turns up df-related stuff.

The posts which dissect the image and prove it isn't from df if you're interested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 02:18:12 pm »

The real answer is it's just fake fake and from nothing.

So I'm looking at Carrion Fields and it looks pretty interesting.  People who play it, what's it like?  How does the combat system work?
Shoes...

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 11:00:23 pm »

So I'm looking at Carrion Fields and it looks pretty interesting.  People who play it, what's it like?  How does the combat system work?
It used to have a ROM codebase, so combat is divided into 3-second rounds with auto-attacks. You can do various commands like "bash" or "trip" or "disarm" every once in a while, in addition to automatic melee.

There are moves that keep your opponent in place so he can't flee or use commands, others that cripple his fighting ability and yet others that aim at doing damage. Different classes have their own flavors for doing this (invoker and transmuter spells, bard songs, warrior specialized moves). Some classes excel in wildly different tactics such as ambushing (ranger), bringing in powerful mobs to fight for you (conjurers), support (healer), etc etc. There's a lot of intra-class diversity so it's not as clear-cut as I described it.

I would recommend assassin as your first class to try, and choosing good alignment so there'll be people who will be willing to help in-character. There's a fan-site at qhcf.net that has a lot of info, including maps. Just ignore the dates on the news page, the forum and wiki are quite alive.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 01:33:37 am »

I'm actually playing it right now!  I'm Kharjak, an arial assassin.  The combat seems okay, obviously I haven't done any real pvp fighting but I get the sense of things from the monster killing.  I like the hard three second turn thing, I can actually follow what's going on.  This might make me a terrible mudder but I actually really liked Iron Realms mud combat, I've been looking for something along those lines but without, you know, hundreds of dollars.  A bit more simple would also be nice, I didn't like how most fights in Lusternia could last forever.  The reams of cures and ubiquity of triggers (so no sneaking something past hte player) meant you had to be able to seal the deal with interlocking afflictions and the like and if you couldn't do that you couldn't kill him.  A lot of my early sparring matches ended in timeout.

Also this game has semi-permadeath so it's not like Lusternia where all the high positions are impermeable.  I remember Ur-Guard being especially bad about that, if you weren't in the club you weren't going anywhere.

The only thing I don't like is the population.  30 people at peak time is lower than Armageddon.  It really makes me itch for an Iron Realms MUD.  I know the price'll drive me off eventually but it's quite a ride until then.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:32:53 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 06:18:38 am »

Nobody likes low population.

One thing I found about CF is that it doesn't take kindly to triggers and entering too many commands in advance -- because sometimes due to being bashed or tripped you can get very few commands in and you don't want them to be "eat pie" from your auto-eat trigger.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 06:18:20 pm »

My first MUD ever was Achaea, which I into'd sometime before 9/11, as I recall.  That shit was 2complex4me, and I instead spent most of my time in I think some sort of Exile MUD and this one now-defunct one called Land of Ruins.

I tried to into a MUD someone posted here several months ago - I forget what it was called, it had player-built housing and tunneling, a fairly cool crafting system, and I think the starting town was called Forest Heart or something?  But that shit was empty as hell, and moving around and doing shit took fucking eons - like minutes to move from square to square in the wilderness, and whatnot.  It was cool in theory, but just really fucking dull and 'oh god so what do I do now'-ish for a newbie like myself.

God, I wish I could remember what the names of my first couple online homies ever from Achaea were.  Last I checked, Shallam was dead or something, wasn't it?  I was always a Shallamite whenever I played.  Like, sunken into the ocean or something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 06:40:00 pm »

Ha!  Serves those goody-goody fuckers right. 

I gave in.  I'm older and smarter and tighter with my money so I think I can handle playing an Iron Realms MUD.  I'm on Lusternia as a Ninjakari named Kharjak.  I just, I know I'm the only one on Earth but I really like Iron Realms combat.  The trigger-heaviness kind of helps it out I think.  It gives you a huge degree of complexity and depth when it comes to layering and interlocking the different status effects to disable and kill an enemy, but at the same time it takes the massive amount of brainpower it'd take to wrangle that kind of complexity out of the picture.  For the most part all you have to worry about is your strategy for taking the enemy down.
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:15 am »

I also used to play the Hell variants. They were wonderful games, at least until the admins went stupid, and they invariably go stupid. I think the code causes it. However, they're quite fun, and the amount of stupid awesome crap you can do is amazing, and varies between the various versions. For instance, you can drive a motorcycle onto an ICBM in one of the versions. The character creation is also great, as you can do almost anything and be viable.

However, there is a variant called Wayfar 1444. Its run by some of the old hell mins, including Aphtonites, and is a fun, strange little space based moo, with about equal possiblity for shenanigans as the hell's. For instance, I run about 50 robots with triggers to mass harvest pretty much everything, in a bid to begin creating spaceships for each of the robots with which to fly around and destroy everything.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3