Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What platinum weapon would you have chosen?  (Read 5732 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: What platinum weapon would you have chosen?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »

Maces should be better against unarmoured foes, but I believe the most enemies in my fort will have some sort of armour, plus supernatural resistance to concussion. Like goblins. Besides, with two legendary weaponsmiths, two ores of silver and three ores of iron, I should not have problems with masterwork weapons, be it warhammers or maces.

I was also musing on keeping a mace for an adventurer... but after some experience with demons, I believe the best overkill weapon is a thrown one. And it doesn't matter too much what is actually thrown. One mace takes the space of two warhammers :) /Are there throwin' axes somewhere? Would be probably even better/

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 02:58:34 pm »

This is because while they do the damage in general, the mace has four times the contact area at a quarter the velocity (assuming the raws for maces and warhammers have not changed since I dug into it back on 0.31).

Well, according to the wiki those numbers weren't correct even in v0.31.

Maces have twice the size and twice the contact area of warhammers.

I was going from memory.  So, twice the contact area but half the velocity.  Same general end result: the warhammer punches through armor better, but the mace smashes stuff better, all for roughly the same potential damage.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »

The problem is, maces tend to deal bruising damage over a larger area.  This stacks up real quick, so you might get Bruise X 5 then the injured part explodes into gore, and this is an excellent way to deal with zombies.  But against living opponents, armored or not, warhammers often deal disabling blows on the first strike.  A broken leg makes you fall over, a broken arm makes you drop your weapon, a broken head is often an instakill.  These blows may not pulp the body beyond reanimability, but they certainly reduce the ability of a living opponent to fight back.  During the five or so bruising strikes a mace is likely to get before doing crippling damage, the enemy can be counterattacking.

I mean, maces aren't bad.  I am fond of them, and often use them, if I have spare recruits with the skill, but they tend to get fewer kills than my hammerdwarves, and seem to be more vulnerable since they leave their opponents in fighting condition for longer.  Still, legendary macedwarves with full kit will tear through goblins like nobodies business.  But hammers are better.

EDIT:  In my observation, legendary macedwarves have fair odds of getting "explodes into gore" reactions on  the first strike, and break more bones.  At  this skill level, they are pretty brutal.  However, for lesser skilled dwarves maces seem to do a lot of bruising, while warhammers work well even at lower skill levels.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:11:46 pm by Sadrice »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:26 am »

Well, if you could have your dorfs target stuff smarter then I would not see a reason for an undead squad to use anything but axes, neck/head, hand, hand... useless corpse, next! Vs bash, bash, bash, bash, bash, bash... oh, still gotta deal with the hands, bash bash, bash... bash, bash, bash... bash? Bash... ok, bash, finally.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »

Well, if you could have your dorfs target stuff smarter then I would not see a reason for an undead squad to use anything but axes, neck/head, hand, hand... useless corpse, next! Vs bash, bash, bash, bash, bash, bash... oh, still gotta deal with the hands, bash bash, bash... bash, bash, bash... bash? Bash... ok, bash, finally.
Axes are fine, unless there's reanimation. And who wants to haul away so many body parts...

Although, I would be curious to see a comparison of how quickly weapons pulp body parts. I imagine hammers or maces would pulp faster, although an edged weapon with less propensity for "sailing off in an arc" might work pretty fast...

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 06:03:53 pm »

artifacts can make foreign weapons i think

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 02:42:37 am »

None of them. I prefer Axes. I find Warhammers deflect off clothing far too often. An axe is heavy enough to break bones and sever limbs and also slices the target. Axes are the best weapon.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 04:36:19 am »

artifacts can make foreign weapons i think

Yeah, I was thinking - maybe whip? But a whip is brutal only in hands of goblin invaders in fortress mode. I tried learning a whip in adventurer, but was disappointed. It's good against armoured humans, but there are better ways. Against unarmoured creatures (like night creatures, which are probably the most serious threat except demons) whips suck badly. They are even not good as a missile, because they are so light. But I was curious how platinum whip would do, anyway.

I haven't considered any edged weapons, because platinum :) I imagine heavy battle axe to be quite good at breaking bones even being dull, but somehow I think that a mace or a warhammer would be better.

After reading these, and recollecting my experiences, I  think that maces are for aces, that is they require more skill (and strength) to be effective, so for early military a warhammer user will probably see more rewards sooner.

Now, I'm also curious how a platinum pick would do. Pick is a piercing weapon (I believe), but with such a mass it could be effective. Plus training miners is easy.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 04:54:51 am »

You didnt use a whip properly then my brother.
I avoid them in adventure mode cause ya know I duz likes me a challenge.
Aim for the throat. Pow dead, pow dead, pow dead. Oh you think im playing, POW.
The throat is only ever protected by cloaks and tunics, and a whip of any material will do well against a throat, silver whips work well cause a whip is bludgeoning damage, so a platinum whip would be very effective just unmodded dwarves cant make them.
So its a human thing.
I want to test a candy whip though. I have a feeling it could be effective... not a good one
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 06:17:56 am »

You didnt use a whip properly then my brother.
I avoid them in adventure mode cause ya know I duz likes me a challenge.
Aim for the throat. Pow dead, pow dead, pow dead. Oh you think im playing, POW.
The throat is only ever protected by cloaks and tunics, and a whip of any material will do well against a throat, silver whips work well cause a whip is bludgeoning damage, so a platinum whip would be very effective just unmodded dwarves cant make them.
So its a human thing.
I want to test a candy whip though. I have a feeling it could be effective... not a good one

Hah, I wanted to reproduce what I saw in fortress mode. The breaking bones and related unconsciousness thing. But I was quite frustrated with my efforts, and out of the frustration a Legendary Strangler Dwarf was born. He aims for throat - but with his bare hands. Almost bare, strangling goblins without gloves would be unhygienic. Next time I will try the go-for-throat technique with a whip. Silver whips are rather frequently observed in human forts.

And if I even have another weapon mood I will try some of these (though I need to mine some of adamantine ore for that. I have uncovered it, but since I dislike adamantium I haven't bothered).

Richard Von Veger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McRichard cancels sleep:interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 06:46:24 am »

I would prefer warhammers as they can break bones very easily.Silver(or any dense metal) is very good for blunt damages as blunt attacks increase in severity the denser the weapon is.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:23:05 am by Richard Von Veger »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:56 am »

The best weapon is a platinum minecart filled with other platinum minecarts filled with lava. One-hit-instakill against anything. Doubly so if it's not handheld but impulse-ramp accelerated. A platinum warhammer, however...I think a mace might be more useful. One-hit kills with a warhammer are almost as likely with lesser metals, but when fighting undead, even a slightly higher chance to pulp is worth it. And aren't artifacts three times as likely to hit their target as normal weapons?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 12:14:21 pm »

And aren't artifacts three times as likely to hit their target as normal weapons?
Yes, they are.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 02:01:31 pm »

I haven't played .40.x yet--been away for a while--but if it's anything like .34, isn't the correct answer morningstar? It's an artifact, and that means foreign weapons are fair game.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 02:15:41 pm »

I haven't played .40.x yet--been away for a while--but if it's anything like .34, isn't the correct answer morningstar? It's an artifact, and that means foreign weapons are fair game.

Foreign weapons from weaponsmith moods are vanishingly rare because they require a dwarf with a preference for the weapon. A dwarf without said preference is limited to weapons that the civilization can normally produce (mostly).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strange_mood#Artifacts_created

Also, morningstars are edged weapons, which might significantly impact their performance when made from poor edge-quality materials.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Morningstar
Pages: 1 [2] 3