Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What platinum weapon would you have chosen?  (Read 5721 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What platinum weapon would you have chosen?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »

Foreign weapons from weaponsmith moods are vanishingly rare because they require a dwarf with a preference for the weapon. A dwarf without said preference is limited to weapons that the civilization can normally produce (mostly).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strange_mood#Artifacts_created
Oh yeah. Problematical.

Also, morningstars are edged weapons, which might significantly impact their performance when made from poor edge-quality materials.
The thing about them, though, is that armor-piercing ATTACK:EDGE:10. They're like big, heavy whips, or more accurately, scourges. Arena testing in older versions demonstrates them kicking large quantities of ass. With the triple accuracy of an artifact, it'd make for a lot of short combat logs.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:50 pm »

The best weapon is a platinum minecart filled with other platinum minecarts filled with lava. One-hit-instakill against anything. Doubly so if it's not handheld but impulse-ramp accelerated. A platinum warhammer, however...I think a mace might be more useful. One-hit kills with a warhammer are almost as likely with lesser metals, but when fighting undead, even a slightly higher chance to pulp is worth it. And aren't artifacts three times as likely to hit their target as normal weapons?

Minecart would be good. But my only real metalcrafter likes splints, so that's what he will do, probably. But as I checked, looking for funny&exotic preferences, three of my weaponsmiths like maces. So I'm bound to get a platinum mace sooner or later. Also it confirms my observation, that dwarves have something for maces. For comparison, one guy likes picks, one likes spears, one likes warhammers and one likes short swords. No morgensterns or maul, unfortunately. Platinum minecart filled with platinum mauls... I'd like to see it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:29 pm »

... Platinum minecart filled with platinum mauls... I'd like to see it.

Now that would hammer your point home, for sure!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]