Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old School Runescape  (Read 4017 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Old School Runescape
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:00:55 pm »

(Haven't seen a thread about this, so here's one)

Remember Runescape? The MMORPG with terrible graphics everyone played around 2007? It's still out there and free to play!
I found a link while browsing reddit yesterday, redirecting to an active subreddit dedicated to Old School Runescape or 2007scape. There is a surprising amount of players still playing (46837 while I'm typing this), and no download is necessary.

Does anyone still play this? I started today and really enjoyed the nostalgia, and I'll probably play more of it soon.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Old School Runescape
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:04:23 pm »

I'm assuming membership is payed still?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »

Oh, hai, RS! Nice to see you again.

And.

SCREW IT! I'M COMING BACK! I MISS YOU, GIELINOR!

Can't wait to level up like hell as a F2P guy until I can be bothered to get membership again.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:19:15 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:24:39 pm »

It's really, really not worth it. It stopped being a good game when they killed the Wilderness and the Gower brothers left Jagex, and by the time they brought back full PvP worlds too many other things had been fucked up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:29:53 pm »

I'm assuming membership is payed still?
Sadly enough this is still the case. Until about a month ago, playing 2007scape was impossible without a membership, so I'm glad they at least changed that.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »

Still member/free worlds?

Yeah... No.

IMHO they are lucky there are still people playing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 04:41:56 pm »

Just dug up my old account (somehow I remembered the login details, hahaha) and started playing again. This brings back memories.

Say what you like, I had excellent fun even before getting a membership. I loved this game to death and I'm going to play it again. It was my first MMO.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 04:58:56 pm »

It's really, really not worth it. It stopped being a good game when they killed the Wilderness and the Gower brothers left Jagex, and by the time they brought back full PvP worlds too many other things had been fucked up.
Killed the wilderness? What?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 05:07:44 pm »

Killed the wilderness? What?
It was a good long while back, but they removed Wilderness PKing from the game and replaced it with this moronic and rather small arena-style PvP in a section of the wilderness, and filled the remainder with high-level mobs. That became the only full-loot PvP in the game, until a few months later when universal hatred of it made them redo the system again. They brought back full-world PvP (outside of a few safe zones like banks) like Classic used to have, but only on PvP servers (PvE servers moved back to the old Wilderness-only PKing).

But yeah, the Wilderness was sort of shit anyways, since it encouraged cheesing and the sort of DDS+bind runes and nothing-else-of-value vultures who camped the boundary and waited for someone to go really low after making a kill.

3. Run Resize Enable

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:19:32 pm »

I still have my original character from back then lol...I remember when it went from classic to 3d

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 07:22:05 pm »

I'm nostalgic for it, but I've played 2007 Runescape through various private servers and not really enjoyed it. I've concluded that I was just at a different place in my life when I played it. I was amused just to wander around, explore the world and wonder about what was behind the "members only" gates. I was rather little when I started, so to me Runescape seemed like a world of endless possibility. It also gave me handy escapism from Catholic school while still providing a barebones social life.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »

...I was rather little when I started, so to me Runescape seemed like a world of endless possibility...
Same here.

I played for a couple hours now and have discovered that it's an irritating process to get to a reasonable level while playing as a wizard. The novelty that my character looks sort of like some kind of polygon-demon-Edgeworth has long worn off. I can't afford to buy an awful lot of runes and have several times had to resort to bashing things to death with a stick.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 07:33:25 pm »

Magic was one of the worst parts of the game. It's incredibly slanted towards people who hung on to rares or had fat stacks of cash, or could drop-trade things to their alts. Running even a few hundred casts of high-level blood magic would fucking wreck your bank account if you didn't spend 90% of your gametime flipping trades.

3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »

I remember being excited when Rune Essence was introduced because it meant magic was just a tiny bit more viable for people who didn't want to spend a couple hours dumping oak on the GE. The money saved was more than made up by the globe-trotting journey it took just to make one kind of rune.

As expensive and useless as magic was in combat, I loved the wide variety of utility spells (that I never got to use because it's impossible to level magic efficiently). IIRC, there was one that let you turn gold into bananas. Or maybe the other way around? There was some silly polymorph-type spell.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 07:40:57 pm »

There were several spells of that sort, including (IIRC) pies and peaches.

And there was an efficient way to level the skill: have enough cash for several hundred thousand casts of transmutation.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2