Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Telepath Tactics  (Read 5242 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Telepath Tactics
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 10:48:46 am »

the best tactical rpg experience I've found outside of fire emblem, FFT and Tactics Ogre has been, ironically, two mmos called dofus and wakfu, respectively.
May I recommend Jagged Alliance? (Changing stats, quirky PCs (especially in the original), classy villains (especially in the sequel), Epic RNG botches- I think you'll find it's a tactical RPG.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 11:00:05 am »

Oh, this actualy reminds me that I was going to try jagged alliance still and I ended up forgetting about it due to post grad related shenaningas, thank ye.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 11:17:27 am »

Anyway, to this day, the best tactical rpg experience I've found outside of fire emblem, FFT and Tactics Ogre has been, ironically, two mmos called dofus and wakfu, respectively.

I am wondering....why they never released Fire Emblem games or FFT for the PC. I suppose there is a logical answer.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:59 am »

Trying to puzzleify <...> tactics games does not improve them.
I don't know, Advance Wars is straight up puzzles disguised as tactics (this manifests in there being no randomness and AI being predictable consistent) and it's really fun.

Advance Wars was fun as hell because it didn't try to be a tactics game. It was basically hyper-Risk in the Fire Emblem engine. It was only a tactics game in aesthetic. Heck, you could make Advance Wars a board game and it would be a similar experience.

it's really fun.

This is what Japanese designers thankfully understand - and why they sometimes come up with wild concepts like Disgaea, which in turn (sorry :) are hard to stomach for some of the more po-faced  Western audiences. Sometimes it`s good to put your brain in low gear, string some kerrazy combos and grind like there`s no tomorrow...without much care how untactical it all is.

Dawg, I enjoy the occasional low key, high-combo grind as much as the next guy. I play Dynasty Warriors, for god's sake. Disgaea is not a good example of doing it right. Disgaea is what happens when you try to save a game that doesn't have a good core system by padding it with grind and elements that explicitly try to make you forget that you're playing a tactics game. The combat isn't even what sold Disgaea in the first place, the humor was.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:45 am »

Square Enix has stopped fearing the PC and published some stuff on the plataform by now but it has sat on the FFT and Tactics Ogre series forever and apparently hasn't done anything with them in quite a while after the War of the Lion got released. Fire Emblem, however, is owned by Nintendo, and nintendo really REALLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY hates PC gaming, like most japanese game companies.

EDIT: I forgot about Unsung Story, a project by FFT's creator which wants to revive the genre. Got funded a while ago, but so far nothing exciting has been released.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:28:27 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:22 am »

Square Enix has stopped fearing the PC and published some stuff on the plataform by now but it has sat on the FFT and Tactics Ogre series forever and apparently hasn't done anything with them in quite a while after the War of the Lion got released.

Tactics Ogre got a re-release on the PSP that came out in the US in 2011, a number of years after WotL. Which, frankly, was a major surprise because Square-Enix has been sitting on Quest and the Ogre Battle IPs without doing anything for years.

They'll probably come back to FFT in some form eventually, but my gut feeling is that the Ogre Battle series is dead.

EDIT: I forgot about Unsung Story, a project by FFT's creator which wants to revive the genre. Got funded a while ago, but so far nothing exciting has been released.

Ah, I backed that but completely forgot about it. Really hoping it turns out.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 07:14:21 am »

Telepath Tactics has been released

Now it's time to wait for some reviews..:)

MrStyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 09:43:26 am »

Bought this yesterday.  It's all right.  I haven't gotten very far, but the battles I've been through have been fun.  Lots of abilities I haven't gotten to. 

It's distracting to me that all the characters seem to be women so far, except for the bad guys.  Maybe I'm a misogynist, but w/e. 
Pages: 1 [2]