Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Telepath Tactics  (Read 5243 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Telepath Tactics
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:38 am »

This game reminds me of Wesnoth, since this is a turn-based tactical fantasy strategy game as well, but there are many differences! So, let's see..

Telepath Tactics is a turn-based strategy RPG set in the steampunk universe of Telepath RPG. It features gorgeous pixel art, destructible battlefields, environmental hazards you can shove enemies into, the ability to build bridges and barricades, and a ruleset that adopts best practices from such classic series as Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea.

Official Site: http://sinisterdesign.net/products/telepath-tactics/

Features:

- Play through a story-driven single player campaign with dozens of unique characters in a tale of love, death, and intrigue!
- Build an army from among 23 different classes! Learn more than 110 distinct attacks as you level up your units, then promote them to powerful prestige classes!
- Destroy walls, freeze water, build bridges and lay explosives, changing the face of the battlefield to your advantage!
- Capture the high ground to get damage and range bonuses for your ranged attacks!
- Shove enemies off of cliffs!
- Fling enemies into environmental hazards like traps, water, and lava!
- Employ more than 110 different skills and attacks to defeat your enemies, with nasty effects like mind control, blindness, and burning!
- Confront aggressive enemy AI that reacts to your moves, grabs items, breaks down your barricades, doggedly pursues your most vulnerable characters, and shoves you into the lava every chance it gets!
- Deal with merchants to keep your army well-supplied; make hard choices about your priorities both on and off the battlefield as you march against the slavers who imprisoned your family.
- Undertake missions in both hand-crafted scenarios and procedurally generated dungeons and forests!
- Tired of single player? Play 2-6 player multiplayer matches with randomized item drops, multiple play modes, and support for team matches!
- Employ the easy-to-use Telepath Tactics map editor to create your own scenarios; easily mod in new characters, items, attacks, tilesets, destructible objects, and even brand-new single player campaigns!
- Download other peoples’ campaigns, drop them in the User Campaigns folder, and voila: you now have brand-new campaigns available to play!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Telepath Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:39:49 am »

Very interesting. Note that it is a Beta that takes $25 to access but they say getting it during Beta will earn you a DRM free final copy.
I'll have to think and do more digging before I choose whether to opt in.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:53:12 am »

Yep, I am waiting for the reviews as well. ->

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics-a-strategy-rpg/posts/1169079

"In other news, I finally sent out review copies of Telepath Tactics yesterday, which leaves the gaming press a solid month to play through and compose their reviews in advance of the game's release. Hopefully this means the game will have some decent launch day coverage!"

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »

Any indication if its coming to steam? 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:05 pm »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:53 pm »

Oh, good.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:09:07 pm »

Sounds good on paper. Particularly interested in the moddability. Hopefully the multiplayer allows for co-op challenge maps; they were one of my favorite parts of FFTA and WotL. I'm not really seeing the similarities to Wesnoth, though.

Unfortunately, I'm always worried when someone compares a tactics game to Disgaea. Trying to puzzleify and add massive amounts of grind to tactics games does not improve them. Hopefully the terrain alterations are tactical in nature instead of annoying setups to puzzle combos.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »

PTW
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 05:06:49 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm always worried when someone compares a tactics game to Disgaea. Trying to puzzleify and add massive amounts of grind to tactics games does not improve them. Hopefully the terrain alterations are tactical in nature instead of annoying setups to puzzle combos.

I am worried about that for other reasons because well...

Disgaea isn't a "tactical" game so to speak (outside puzzle maps which can be fun). It is more of a insanely broken RPG on a grid then it is a battle of the minds.

As well Disgaea has a lot of "attacks" but most of them are pointless, they are either outright better than another one or they just don't have any appreciable difference.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea would make a terrible mix.

So I've been playing a "Balanced" version of Final Fantasy Tactics (great mod, I'd suggest it to everyone who wants to play it) which balanced all the classes and got rid of the calculator and I kind of learned that ultimately... I liked the balance but more importantly I like the tactical options.

110 attacks is a HUGE red blaring warning light and tells me "Missing the point" or "This is a disgaea RPG with classes". Sure Final Fantasy Tactics had a lot of things that could be considered "attacks", but I would never use that term. Tactics Ogre, also a great game, has almost no actual special attacks outside spells and "limit breaks" (and limit breaks are one of the game's weak points) but it makes it work because while a Paladin might not get to bring great fire to the battlefield (they do get healing mind you) they also have the ability "Rampart" which slows down the enemy approach.

Overall I am not even going to go near this game without a video review, it NEEDS one. Since, lets kind of face it, disgaea without its humor would flop hard. A disgaea type game lives and dies by how great its story is.

While the game I am truly looking for is another Final Fantasy Tactics or another Tactics Ogre: LUCT.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:13:33 pm by Neonivek »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:27:32 pm »

Telepath RPG huh? Didn't I play that a decade ago on Newgrounds?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 04:12:13 am »

Trying to puzzleify <...> tactics games does not improve them.
I don't know, Advance Wars is straight up puzzles disguised as tactics (this manifests in there being no randomness and AI being predictable consistent) and it's really fun.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 06:43:00 am »

it's really fun.

This is what Japanese designers thankfully understand - and why they sometimes come up with wild concepts like Disgaea, which in turn (sorry :) are hard to stomach for some of the more po-faced  Western audiences. Sometimes it`s good to put your brain in low gear, string some kerrazy combos and grind like there`s no tomorrow...without much care how untactical it all is. 

Yes, Telepath has been around for nearly a decade and the first entry was so awful it made me forget all about Sinister Design. I like the promise of destruction and use of environments, plus procedural dungeons, but this so easy can turn out to be a dud...it would help if he`d release release a demo, as was the case with the RPG title.

Side notes: "gorgeous pixel art"? Nope, it`s just about okay. "Steampunk"? soon to be as annoying as "zombies". Seriously, if your game is really good, the word will spread, there`s no need to always cram all these tropes in.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:17 am »

It looks, eh, okay, and as hungry as I am for a tactical rpg with a class system, I'm not going near this untill someone does a detailed review of it or I at least hear good things about it on bay12 (bay12 has never failed me as a method of finding out if a game is worth buying). ATM I'm very skeptic of it, at best, pretty much any game that has compared itself to fire emblem or FFT have failed to deliver.

I also fail to see how this is in any way similar to battle for wesnoth.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:01:32 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:34:54 am »

Well, I said that the game reminds me of Wesnoth, I never said that it's like Wesnoth. Obviously, there are lot of differences. What I meant is this: Fantasy setting & tactical strategy. You can bring your units to the next chapter in a campaign & they level up just like in Wesnoth, even tho, there are differences because of the classes/items etc.

..and yeah, I am waiting for the reviews as well, I never buy games without checking out reviews / long gameplay videos. I made a mistake one time only: Endless Legends. Fantasy TBS? Hyped? Day 1 purchase...than after playing for a couple of hours, I realized that I don't like the game somehow...Oh well, I won't make the same mistake again for sure.  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:12:32 am by gimli »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 10:35:22 am »

There was this game called Agarest: Generations of War that I picked up a good while ago. It looked decent from the videos but the reviews warned me that was heavily padded and grindy. It kind of reminded me of the langrisser series, being a tactical rpg with dating sim elements, but man, was I disappointed. The problem wasn't the super OMG ANIME nature of everything or the dating sim elements, it was how damn repetitive the encounters were and how there was no real tactics about it at all, it was very much a poorly designed disgaea clone that was 100% about positioning your characters to do combined attacks and all that jazz.

Anyway, to this day, the best tactical rpg experience I've found outside of fire emblem, FFT and Tactics Ogre has been, ironically, two mmos called dofus and wakfu, respectively.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:43:34 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2