Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: You are Nigel and the Maeshowe Ethics Committee!  (Read 10919 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are Nigel and the Maeshowe Ethics Committee, Hit Single Required!
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2015, 12:25:01 pm »

We stand. FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE!!!

Become blusteringly passionate.

+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are Nigel and the Maeshowe Ethics Committee, Hit Single Required!
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2015, 02:00:21 pm »

You’re reaching a pitch that probably only whales can hear without some kind of electronic aid.

Lawd but I love me some lawas writing

We stand. FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE!!!

Become blusteringly passionate.

+1
+1

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You are Nigel and the Maeshowe Ethics Committee!
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2015, 05:44:04 am »

”Our, like, ultimate goal?”

You want to say, you know, like, domination or something, baby, or, kinda, what isn’t, you know, but you feel that something rather grander is required, something far more eloquent – you need to grab the balls by the horn and stop beating the birds in the bush and really connect.

”Really, you know, Derek, we don’t have an ultimate goal – we’re living it right now, you see? It’s like we are our ultimate goal. Because it’s less about arriving than the journey itself, and we’ve been on that journey all our lives, man. Well, since, like, this morning, more specifically.”

”Exactly – and that journey, is, you know, all about standing, like the ancient stones of Orkney did so bravely.”

”Quite, Quebs – they stood for all who passed by, which was quite a lot, because Orkney was far more metropolitan in those days, but anyway – the stones stood, like we do, for everyone – for everything, for all true peoples’ causes.”

“Ah – yes – that explains the kilts then, right? That is to say, for the benefit of the listeners at home, the Maeshowe Ethics Committee are all dressed in kilts today, and lead death growler Nigel is quite topless.”

”Exactly, Derek! Man, it’s almost like you’re a hero of folk yourself, your comprehension is so instinctive and deep, wow. Poetical. But yes - ” – and it’s about now that your voice starts getting perceptibly deeper with growling passion – ”Yes, and since you mentioned kilts, we want to be like, everyone’s army of folkmen and women – folkpersons, almost, like, folkmermaids, wafting aft from the sea of folk and with all sorts of kelp just floating about – playing music in defiance of tyranny. People come to listen as free persons, people, and free people, persons, they are. How could they listen without freedom? But, you see, we give them more freedom, just by being free!”

“So the people are listening, then?”

”Yeah, man!”

”Totally, dude! Even the kids like the right true folk. They listen, and they live! And so, I guess, our ultimate goal is that, many years from now, the small boy who heard us play this morning will remember the freedom in his ears when he first heard us, and remember that he’s lived with that freedom all his life, and so been freed from oppression in at least a little way – that even though capitalism may have taken his life, it never took his freedom!”

“Crikey. Well, we have a few more minutes before the break-”

”Cool, ‘cos, like, why the hell is it twelve p.m., man? It’s not twelve post the meridiem, is it? It should be zero bloody o’clock, right?”

You notice Quebecca roll her eyes.

“Okay, well, er, I don’t know, just, like, the man, I guess? Anyway, Nigel, I don’t know if you have another song ready for us, or if you want to tell us more about your musical journey and philosophy? Unless you have some place to rush off to?”

”Oh yeah, of course, well…”

Do you have another song ready for them, or do you want to tell them more about your musical journey and philosophy, or have we got some place to rush off to?

Spoiler: Current Band Status (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2015, 06:18:31 am »

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this is the ideal moment in time to pop some pills.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:06 am »

Excellent idea Yoink! Pop some pills! Then initiate the death growl into a four part chorus including cricket bat, silence, and... Shit. Betty's not here. Mourn Betty's absence with a song made up on the spot about lost bagpipes.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2015, 08:11:46 am »

Excellent idea Yoink! Pop some pills! Then initiate the death growl into a four part chorus including cricket bat, silence, and... Shit. Betty's not here. Mourn Betty's absence with a song made up on the spot about lost bagpipes.

That'll do the trick, yes. Can't expound on the philosophy too much, that'd just spoil it.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2015, 08:27:19 am »

That'll do the trick, yes. Can't expound on the philosophy too much, that'd just spoil it.
Because the philosophy is...like...all about un-expounding, the un-expounding of oppression!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:19 am »

Because the philosophy is...like...all about un-expounding, the un-expounding of oppression!
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:10 am »

”Okay, Derek, yeah, so, cool,” you start, ”This one’s called Lost Bagpipes – it’s about the un-expounding of, you know, oppression through mourning and, uh, so on. The background is pretty much the Highland clearances of the nineteenth century, in fact, and how guilt from that time still kind of, you know, pervades our everyday life. Kind of like, the geography of human emotion. Have you, er, have you got any paracetamol left, Harun? My throat’s still a bit sore.”

”Oh, totally, Nigel. Here,” he says, handing you two rather papery looking paracetamol. You pop them in your mouth and reach for a glass of water.

”Okay, yeah, so, here we go… two… three… four…”

You tap a slow rhythm out on the side of your leg. You death growl.

”Looooooooooooooooooooost,

Loooooooooooo-ohhhhhhhst in the Lowlands…

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNED!

Burn-burn-burn-burn burning HIIIIIIIGHlands…”

”Grrrrrrrrrrrrr… bust it out, Quebecca…”

Quebecca busts out some silence and you drop your head, closer to the microphone, and start to actually sing.

”I woke up this morning…”

Harun quickly picks up the obvious rhythm with a deep, angular bass.

”I woke up this morning… with my bagpipes in my hand… hand… hand…

The burning bagpipes killed me, in the midnight gloom…”

Quebecca suddenly shrieks, a high-pitched squeal like a woman treading on a leopard during a hotel toilet trip at 3 in the morning, and almost as terrified. You wonder if she had a sore throat too.

”I woke up this morning…”

”I woke up this morning… with fire burning in my land…

The ashen wasteland spreading, my lover’s palm dreamt upon my hand…”

Although it could just be her way of vocalising her mourning for Betty.

”LOSTTTTTTTTTTTTT,

LOST IN THE LOWLANDS…

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNED!

Burn-burn-burn-burn burning HHIGHLANDDDDDS…”

Your grandmother was called Betty.

”HIT IT, HARUN!”

Harun hits it. It’s like the organ in Riders on the Storm. You’ve never heard anything like it, except perhaps the organ in Rider on the Storm. Harun’s head shakes, and it starts to rain. You wipe your face and smack your thigh and tap your feet, quite severely lost in approaching ecstasy, and Quebecca shrieks again in a somewhat startling way, totally feeling it, staring at the door.

”HIT IT, HARDER, HARU- OH JESUS CHRIST THERE’S A LEOPARD COMING THROUGH THE DOOR-”

You turn to Derek to see if he’s noticed, but the poor DJ’s turned into a standing stone. A standing stone of oppression.

He’s not going to be any help.

The leopard slowly turns the handle and Quebecca slowly turns completely white and hides behind you, snatching Harun’s tambourine off you and holding it raised in front of her.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:25 am »

Stare that damn oppressive leopard down. Be as stoic as the Cliffs of Dover, unyielding in the face of French artistic impressionism. Be as stoic as the Scots of Scotland, unyielding against the oppressive tea-drinking horde. BE. UNYIELDING.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »

Begin questioning the quality of the pills, and by extension the validity of your senses and the universe as a whole. Don't stop singing though, because that's real

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »

"Loooooooooooooo-

Loooooooooooooooooo!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST"

There's a leopard – but you don't embrace it. It's a leopard of oppression, and you've heard its scream. You stare it in the eyes, and death growl, lightly at first.

"Shake... shake in the morning,

Or is it... is it the night? Tonight?

The working man, crossing the ashen, the ashen lowlands,

The sparkle in his eye, it's gone... it's gone"

You're rocking quite hard by now, rain pouring from the ceiling and pure folk rhythm pouring from Harun's hands and cricket bat and, indeed, mind – visible like purple little waves crossing the room to you and Quebecca, juddering your knees but still staring at the damn leopard, still outside the studio door, paws on the door handle.

"IT'S GONE... BURNED...

BURNED IN THE HIGHLANDSSSSSSS!

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNED

BURNNNNED IN THE LOWLANDS!"

You're trying to get out the core of the message, but the damned leopard is giving you some kind of political constipation. You try to imagine yourself as chalk cliffs wearing a kilt.

"TEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TEA FOR MY BABY

LEFTTTTTT

I DUN LEFT MY BABY..."

It seems to help but you wonder at the leopard – you wonder if you didn't take some bad paracetamol or something.

"Baby... how could you do this?

Lover... the tea of oppression?

The tea of the south...

But I won't cry for you, baby... You're gone to me... gone to tea..."

You watch the purple waves cross into your temple again and again and again. You've never heard of bad paracetamol attracting leopards or any other big cats before.

"It's not alright, baby,

It's not okay.

I ain't growing a moustache for you, baby,

I won't wear your black beret."

So it can't be bad paracetamol. It must be good paracetamol. All you can do is advance on the leopard and sing – probably the only thing you can count on.

"You took my universe away from me honey,

Left me running from depression.

I thought we formed a holy circle,

But you were just a standing stone of oppression."

You pause.

"GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

You leap forward – Quebecca screams, suddenly exposed – and with some virtuoso rabid cricket bat as a backing you shoulder charge the door, busting it off its hinges and smacking it right into the face of Bagpipes Debbie, knocking her over and stumbling through, crashing to the ground next to and partially on top of her, and on top of her bagpipes.

She's got a hearty looking bruise round her eye – surely not from the door - but she's smiling and carries on bagpiping without hardly a breath, without even getting up, she bagpipes away lying there on the floor with you partially on top of her, a fierce animal-like wailing, crescendoing, crescendoing, and then exploding in a high pitched scream, and joined by Quebs, who's wandered over to the door and screamed, and who looks down at both of you, and screams, and then is silent.

Harun is silent too, musically, at least, and comes over.

”Shit, dude, that was some dope death growling, man. Whoa.”

“Ladies and gentlemen... that was Maeshowe Ethics Commission with Lost Bagpipes, and a very impressive performance it was too. Now, Nigel – before you go, when can the people see you live next?”

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2015, 05:11:14 pm »

A nearby park
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:25 pm »

On top of her bagpipes, you see *eyebrow waggle*

"We'll be doing another show at the park to honor and remember our first ever performance, but if you want to see us in the flesh we'll be accepting free drinks Gerard's Craft Coffeeshop!"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2015, 04:35:31 am »

It’s quite disappointing that I can’t find the time to update this, because I was enjoying the gentle stroll-like writing of it.

The only sensible solution appears to be to stop and to not start a new rtd.

I will see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7