Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Never mess with lashers....  (Read 2078 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Never mess with lashers....
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:00 am »

I tried to kill a human lasher, but instead, he killed 5 dorfs by lashing their brains out, include all of my militia members(maces, hammers and full copper armors) and the expedition leader. He then ran into my basement.

I recruited a new squad to hunt him down but couldn't find him everywhere....then I noticed my miner had dug through the ocean floor...maybe he escaped from there?

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Never mess with lashers....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:59:07 am »

If he's still on the map you can find him under "Others" in the Units screen.

Lashers are terrifying because their weapons cut through any armor like it was made of crackers. They're a threat to your military no matter how strong it is. In adventure mode you at least have a variety of tricks to use against them, but in fortress mode they're best dealt with by marksdwarves.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »

Shields and legendary dodgers. With most other enemies a well equipped military can soak up hits without raising their shields but lashers are basically melee railguns.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:17:31 pm »

I thought the accepted designation was that they were really using light-sabers?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:46:04 pm »

lashers are pretty dangerous, but uniquely, their attacks are bit slower than any other weapon(recovery of four instead of 3). It's a good idea to group your squad together and then bum rush him to abuse that slow recovery time.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »

If he's still on the map you can find him under "Others" in the Units screen.
I already checked.

lashers are pretty dangerous, but uniquely, their attacks are bit slower than any other weapon(recovery of four instead of 3). It's a good idea to group your squad together and then bum rush him to abuse that slow recovery time.

At first I thought 4 half-trained soldiers plus full armors should kill him easily.
I reloaded the save and checked the solderis, only one of them was adept weapon users and skilled shield/armor users, the others were all adequate and novice in shield and weapon, one was skilled dodger but I guess that was not enough.

Edit*

Maybe I am too used to all-legendary squads. It seems, a weak military is more fun.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:33:36 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:22 pm »

0.40 *still* has insane whips?

I mod mine to be less OP.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:30 am »

0.40 *still* has insane whips?

I mod mine to be less OP.

Yep, whips are still as deadly as lightsabres; even copper whip.
I think because faces/necks don't have much armor protection.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:01:20 am »

I recommend silver whips. If you get one in your fort, get a soldier training with it immediately, in advmode keep it with you. Even when they don't cause a serious wound, they can still deal enough pain to knock out anyone who isn't nostun. They'll never be able to finish a monster made of bronze or better density, but they can crack each part enough to disable them.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:16 am »

Whips are OP. Don't use them.

However, whips are ALSO the only thing that keeps goblins competitive against dwarves. Well, that and numbers.

Seriously, dwarves have martial trances, access to iron, steel, adamantine, and superior armor and weapons in general. Most of what goblins have are copper/silver/iron no-quality weapons, and leather armor. Occasionally they have a breastplate or a cap or something.

Not to mention the unstoppable behemoths of legendary warrior dwarves you get by sparring non-stop by a few years.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:55 pm »

I tested in arena mode. Grand master lasher vs bronze colossus.
Even a copper whip can kill a bronze colossus.
It is terrifying!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:55:01 pm »

I recommend silver whips. If you get one in your fort, get a soldier training with it immediately, in advmode keep it with you. Even when they don't cause a serious wound, they can still deal enough pain to knock out anyone who isn't nostun. They'll never be able to finish a monster made of bronze or better density, but they can crack each part enough to disable them.
I think whips mainly just penetrate straight through armor, which goblins don't have very much of. Meaning your masterwork steel axes are probably going to be more useful against more targets since goblins are the only enemies you'll be fighting that have armor. Especially since whips are now significantly slower than every other weapon.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:50:25 am »

I don't get why that happens, or at least, I don't get why Toady hasn't done something about it.  I'm sure he saying "well, whips can travel faster than the speed of sound", but here's the thing, only leather whips travel faster than the speed of sound.  Any metal whip is going to be too heavy to swing at that speed, and doesn't have the elasticity to transfer force from the grip to the tip which is what creates the speed.  A leather whip is dangerous, but not especially so compared to anything sharp. 

So bottom line, if it's elastic enough to move at supersonic speed, it's too elastic to pierce armor with blunt damage. 

I also don't get why he thinks scourges are edged weapons.  They can cut skin, but they're not sharp the way the game calculates things as sharp.  Unless he means to treat them as Urumi, in which case he should call them Urumi. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:46:22 am »

I tested in arena mode. Grand master lasher vs bronze colossus.
Even a copper whip can kill a bronze colossus.
It is terrifying!

It was inevitable.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55:49 pm »

Whips are the railguns of this game, lashers will just lash the crap out of your dorfs brains!