Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Temple of the Elements  (Read 15125 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Temple of the Elements
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 12:01:22 pm »

^^ Wrong thread?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 12:20:12 pm »

No actually, I'm giving out ideas.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »

Funnily enough, that's actually similar to an idea that I had - Having bosses that show up repeatedly throughout the dungeon, with heuristics capable of learning what strategies work best against the player. Expanding that to the whole dungeon though... That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'm not gonna work on it until I have everything else put together, but I think I'd like to do something like that.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »

Yeah, that's a good idea. If they controlled their minions, it would be even more interesting. Of course, the ultimate would be if they designed their dungeon level to be effective against the player as possible.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30:32 pm »

Yup. Again, that's pretty far down the list, but I'll definitely consider it.

Also, I'm going to enable pretty extensive modding. You can actually have the game load your groovy code and inject it into the game. Does anyone have any advice on legal agreements I should mandate for modders?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 10:02:28 pm »

Does anyone have any advice on legal agreements I should mandate for modders?
I've never looked into anything like that, but if I were to, the first thing I'd do is research games that have a really active modding community. I could actually put you in contact with this one game dev if you have questions about that sort of thing. He answers questions daily on his forum.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:19 pm »

Ah, excellent, that'll do.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:48 am »

In general, my opinion for the legal stuff would be that you should mandate that any mods made should be free, to start with.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 12:19:10 pm »

Yeah, I'll do that, among other things. I'm mostly worried about losing the rights to my game somehow, and want to guard against that.

Also, how do you think levelling should work? I know I'm gonna have a gigantic skill tree thing that you get a point in every level. Should levelling have other effects? If so, what? Right now I'm thinking small bonuses to your stats & attributes, E.G. Warriors get 1 HP, .5 dexterity, .75 Strength, and .75 Constitution per level. I might also do it so that everything (or just most things) on the skill tree scales based on level. Thus, a node might give you +1 Strenth per level, or a skill that has variable effect based on your current intelligence, etc.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 08:13:59 pm »

PTW. Will try demo soon.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »

Certainly. I'm actually gong to be uploading a new demo soon after I get this last feature or two hammered out.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »

Alright, here's that new demo. I haven't added a mac run script yet, but I'm working on it.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 03:07:14 am »

Um, I downloaded it. How does it work? I'm not code literate.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »

You're on windows, right? You should be able to double click the .bat and have it run.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 03:38:25 am »

Yup, thanks, got it working :D It's pretty fun, reminds me of RotMG a bit. Can't wait to see the finished project, especially the skill tree!
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5