Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44

Author Topic: Apocalypse How - Second vision  (Read 70717 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Wow
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:33 pm »

Q1 2018

I demand that on of the ships is called Constantinople.
I would like to move onto Constantinople.
I'd like to split my engineers and mercenaries around all the Ark ships.
I'd like to draft as many mercs as possible as well as any crew. I spend 10$billion in cash on that.
Whenever I get the occasion I'd like to buy the guns in the black market using the Foundation as the final front.

It seems #3 is Constantinople now, built in Germany. Good luck.

People divided and their trip paid.

10 billion? Do you want to fill all ships with nothing but mercs? Let's say you get 500 mercs more and find all necessary crew.

[1] Oh lord. MIB discover your activities and drag you back into prison straight from the ship. They are not letting you out this time, and Korir stalls court procedures. You're good as dead.

So ends tale of cold and rational Sophia Papanous. The flood comes and she drowns in prison so like so many others.

THE END. Sorry. I liked your scheme though.

Personal financial situation:
Dead do not care.

Those young, skilled, educated individuals? Fuck 'em. They can drown. I shall live in the Doom Pit with the workers and their families. Or maybe send those young, skilled, educated individuals Rasmussen's way (along with excess workers that already went off that way) if he's hurting for people still.

Donate roughly half of my current cash to Rasmussen's crewfinding efforts.

Also, have my highly trained team of lawyers stall the court proceedings. I assume this is an autosuccess (I mean, genetic modification, and for that matter corporations in general, and court proceedings go hand in hand, right?), and if it isn't throw a billion or more dollars into it. Screw it.

Have my 750 skilled companions (workers plus their families) be at the Doom Pit post-haste. Seal the place up in preparation for the flood, and start up the daily operations.

Throw money at anything that doesn't succeed.

And see if I can get my colleagues from Equatorial Foods Inc. an ark-ship of their own (along with any people they care to bring) under Mr. Rasmussen. Inform them remotely that it is in their best interest to be on one within the next quarter. New Horizon seems like it'd be a good fit for them.

Yeah, fuck those greedy bastards, hope they drown in poorly built ships! You will build a communist utopia in the Doom Pit!

Half is 5.662 billion. Donated.

[4] Lawyers succesfully stall the court procedures that would have been necessary to get Sophia out of prison. You essentially killed her. Congratulations!

They gather their asses into the bunker and seal it up. Let the rest of world die! Biodiesel production is put in action via imported waste, aquaponics filled and prepared. Everything is nice and neat. Even your wallet that's now very empty. Not that communists need any money.

End is here.

Donate 1 billion to help Rasmussen's efforts with finding crew.
Start fortifying my ship.
Stock some more MREs, is there is enough space.
I will move into my ship.
Also, sell off 15% of both my stocks and real estate.

1 billion donated. Out of 28 billion. Cheapskate.

[6] Ship is now very well fortified. It should be able to withstand quite much of beating.

[5] All storages are as full as they possibly can. You end up kicking 50 people out so you can feed the rest for five years.

Moved. Good luck.

You don't have any stocks left.
[1] Nobody wants to buy land at this point anymore. I mean, haven't you checked weather lately? And what you are gonna do with digital money? It is all gone anyway together functional bank organization.

It's all abstract anyway.

• Find some fucking crew. Anyone ablebodied and competent. Include the yard workers who built the ships and their immediate families, they're welcome aboard. We'll pay for travel costs for anyone competent and willing if they need help getting to the ships.
  • U.S. military, you've got yourself a deal. $1b US and the maps.
  • Revisit ships 3 and 5. Fix that shit.
  • Set up scaled-down self-repairing metal production aboard the ships.
  • Move self to the Endeavour in our British yards. These things have telecommunication arrays, I'll run things from here.
  • Prepare a brief for all those who will be aboard the ships on the situation -- Rassmussen made a guess based on climatic shifts and hedged his bets, preparing for an environmental catastrophe. Forecasts give us less than a quarter of a year until the crisis becomes unavoidable. Private distribution now.

Ship names?

Ship 1) Endeavour - Flying Dice
Ship 2) Ararat
Ship 3) Constantinople - SaberToothTiger
Ship 4) Genesis
Ship 5) Voyager
Ship 6) New Horizon

'course, anyone who wants to get in touch with Herwald to claim a ship can pick their name.

6.662 billion dollars donated for the cause by your fellow business magnates ensure you get the people you need.

Deal. Quick look at maps shows that they are very good and censored by omission. In maps are number of completely blank areas, usually size of few square kilometers.

[4,2] Constantinople is improved into good condition, but New Horizon doesn't. Workers don't really get what is wrong with it. You drop them out of the invitation list.

[2,6,2,6,5,3] Facilities are constructed only on Ararat, Genesis and Voyager. New Horizon has only parts for it.

And I just give you that briefing speech.

Nothing matters anymore.

Ark-ships:
Suitable passengers found: 87508750
    1 - Herwald Rasmussen V.
    5699 - Herwald Rasmussen (engineers)
    1400 - Korir (skilled young peple + family)
    800 - Sophia Papanous (cultist engineers)
    800 - Sophia Papanous (mercenaries)
    50 - Sophia Papanous (civilians)
Suitable crew found: 1800/1800

Fateful Pit:
Citizens: 751/900
    1 Korir
    150 Skilled workers
    600 Immediate families of skilled workers (wives & children).

Priya's ship:   
Passengers found: 600/600
    1 - Priya Gupta
    599 - Young, theoretically trained rich snobs
Crew found 350/350

NEWS:
Meteorological:
During last month drizzle is upgraded into constant, but gentle, rain.

Financial:
Irrelevant to point of manic laughing.

Political:
Riots, panic, war, terrorism, tears. Death. Lots of death. 7,565,216,385 to be exact. And that's only humans.

Q2 2018

When 1st of April reaches the UTC +0 timezone gates of heaves open fully, pouring down unbelievable amounts of water. If it were to rain any more you could drown simply by walking outside. Those not in ark-ships or bunkers have to face rapidly raising water levels everywhere; deserts, forests, hills, mountains... Water clings unnaturally on every surface as if gravity itself is messed up, robbing people from safety of high ground.

First people to drown are those unable to move, usually in hospitals. After first two hours 5 and half billion people have drowned. Inprisoned, including Sophia, families, childen, babies, elderly, pregnant, sick... weak ones. Only strong still manage to stay above surface that now is two meters above ground. Terrestrial animals are largely gone, as well as lizards, insects and various birds. Waterfowls and other oceanic birds just take the ride without worry.

Four hours in and only largest boats stay afloat. Smallest have crashed against buildings and other numerous objects floating around long time ago. Only few people outside are still alive, professional swimmers and divers in addition of very strong and enduring men. Waterfowls don't care. After first day of rain all purely terrestrial life forms are dead, either by drowning or being eaten by carnivorous fishes. Except plants. Those survive a little longer. A little.

Of course being in safe aboard of Endeavour you don't know any of the suffering of those outside. All radio and television communications shuts off globally after one hour, but you can clearly hear panic and terror from last transmissions. After that only white noise flows from all media sources. Following days are very depressing as rain still continues strong as ever. The amount of water in air and thick layer of clouds ensure that no sunlight reaches the surface, bringing forth one very, very long night.

Only blink of light is occasional radio signal from ISS astronauts, but the sheer amount of water between you and them is hindering the signal, making it very broken and unclear. The bits you can understand is that entire planet is nothing but a white ball. Oh, and the exocomet missed Moon by very narrow margin. Apparently it broke into pieces and it all fell down to Earth. True enough, few days later the ark-ship encounters some very massive waves, but clears them easily. Korir and his bunker party feels seven small tremors, but remains unaffected.

On day 30 it is still raining and Mount Kenya finally fully submerges. This means the radio tower is submerged as well and rendered useless.

On May 10th rain finally ends and sky clears of clouds, exactly 40 days after it began. It raises number of eyebrows, but none amongst of Cult of Sophia. Those higher beings seems to like rolling with biblical references. Korir and his posse in the bunker doesn't know about end of the rain since their only communication device with outside is disabled and currents are too strong for manned exploration. And they didn't stock any diving equipment.

Enjoying first sight of sun for half year, people of people of Endeavour try to find out state of other ships. They ping their communications through various communications satellites and ISS.

Final toll appears to be this:
  • Ararat doesn't respond. It's last known location was somewhere in France.
  • Constantinople responds. They are fine.
  • Genesis is alive. Apparently they had some problems with the fusion generator.
  • New Horizon had some troubles, but are still floating. They collided with something and hull didn't repair itself like it was supposed to. They are not in any danger to sink, but something is clearly wrong. They too had occasional power outages.
  • Voyager is afloat, but they too suffered same power outages. People over there are complaining about bad living conditions and bad food.
  • The Priya Gupta's ship doesn't respond. It is assumed to be lost.

And Endeavour of course sailed through apocalypse without single trouble. Everything is fine.

As for what happened to Priya Gupta: You see pretty much the same. Massive rain ensured that all water pumps were on 24/7 to keep the ship floating. And it did so succesfully right until tsunamis came. First one it cleared, just barely, but second toppled the ship.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Now
« Reply #286 on: June 17, 2015, 12:03:10 pm »

Survival:

Thanks SaberToothTiger, Flying Dice, Harry Baldman and wipeout1024 (and Peradon) for creating the setting.

This phase is character oriented and mission based, so we will need more players. I'm bumping player limit up to 8 for now. Rest of the game takes place on ark-ship Endeavour, and follows along as it struggles to survive and salvage stuff from bottom of ocean. And handling whatever troubles that comes along.

Herwald Rasmussen is captain of the Endeavour by virtue of having Unlimited-weight all-waters U.S. Merchant Marine Captain's license.
Codeine Ogudi Korir is still chief of Fateful Pit, but since we won't see the bunker for a while, Harry, free to make new character. If/When we meet the bunker you can of course resume role of Korir.

I have updated first post to reflect current situation and new character sheet, so please take a look at it.

Now

The rain is over, clouds gone and sun is finally visible again. Blue skies and blue ocean everywhere.

An announcement echoes through thin hallways of the Endeavour. Radar has picked something large floating in distance.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Now - Needs more players
« Reply #287 on: June 17, 2015, 12:41:51 pm »

((It's been an awesome ride, AoshimaMichio, and I mean that in the true sense of the word. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us. :))

e: Assuming that I'm carrying on as Herwald, is there anything you need me to update my sheet with?))
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:03:37 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 17, 2015, 02:25:39 pm »

((Too bad my scheme to establish a theocracy government aboard the Arks failed, what with my death 'n all. I would become the God Empress of the Seas!))
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 17, 2015, 02:48:09 pm »

((Tee-hee, killed Sophia by accident. I meant the whole police attention thing that my bounty hunt caused (it occurs to me that I could have phrased that better, but had I known that I could stall court proceedings globally, well...), but what can you do.))

Spoiler: New Character! (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 17, 2015, 03:48:41 pm »

((Been a long time since I've played an actual RTD...should be fun running into this blind. :) ))

Spoiler: Arvcarv (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 17, 2015, 04:08:48 pm »

((I guess Sophia's schemes didn't go according to keikaku, hehe.))

3. Run Resize Enable

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 17, 2015, 06:26:28 pm »

((Wow. Just Wow. That was an amazing experience, though. My only regret was that my character died, but oh well.))
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2015, 02:32:43 pm »

((hey, did my character get accepted or what? ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:53 pm »

((It's been an awesome ride, AoshimaMichio, and I mean that in the true sense of the word. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us. :))

e: Assuming that I'm carrying on as Herwald, is there anything you need me to update my sheet with?))

You can continue as Herwald unless you rather make new one. No updates needed.

((Tee-hee, killed Sophia by accident. I meant the whole police attention thing that my bounty hunt caused (it occurs to me that I could have phrased that better, but had I known that I could stall court proceedings globally, well...), but what can you do.))

Spoiler: New Character! (click to show/hide)

Ah. There wasn't really court actions against you. Just a bit of police talking. So I automatically assumed you meant Sophia's problems.

((Been a long time since I've played an actual RTD...should be fun running into this blind. :) ))

Spoiler: Arvcarv (click to show/hide)

Welcome aboard.

I should write some description of the ship facilities to help navigate around.

((Wow. Just Wow. That was an amazing experience, though. My only regret was that my character died, but oh well.))

Psst. Make another.
Old sigs.
Games.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 18, 2015, 03:32:22 pm »

((Yeah, come on people. You, you right there! The lurker who just read the last page! We need you to make a character for a high-quality RTD. You've always wanted to RP in "Waterworld", haven't you? Damn right you have.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 18, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »

((we need more people than just me, or I'll turn this post-apocalyptic game into a huggy feely simulator where Arvin explores his feelings and tries to get along with everyone, goes into extensive flashbacks about his past life, while adding meaningless and unwanted backstory and fluff, and eventually finds his lifelong soul mate.

I swear I will!

Edit: Or in other words, every game I've ever played on the forums, Ever.))
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:55:08 pm by Dwarmin »

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 18, 2015, 07:32:23 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet: (click to show/hide)
Ain't nobody got time for that.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »

char sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:54 pm »

Spazyak's and wipeout's sheets are fine. I guess we can go somewhere with 5 players.

Herwald Rasmussen is waiting on the bridge as Endeavour slowly approaches the floating object. A video camera fixed on top of the ship is trained at the target and relaying feed to the bridge, as well as to few screens in mess hall where rest of people are watching.

Finally they come close enough to understand what they are seeing. It is a cargo ship, swimming so deep that only its cranes and deck department are above surface. It's nothing short of miracle that it has survived the apocalypse and still floating. Radist tries to contact it, but nobody is surprised for lack of response. It probably has no power at all.

There's an unique opportunity here. Since it is a bulk carrier, it might have some useful cargo. Cargo might be all ruined, depending of its nature, but that is unknown until somebody actually checks it. It even might have survivors, although such is very unlikely. And after all, it is a floating ship. All functional ships are welcome addition to the Last Fleet of mankind, even as a dead cargo container.

So, Herwald Rasmussen, captain of Endeavour. Shall we salvage what we can? A small group of capable people can survey its state and determine how much of it is useful.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44