Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: Apocalypse How - Second vision  (Read 70751 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse How
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2015, 10:35:31 am »

Oh! I see. Well. Probably should help with that, then. Original post edited!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:37:31 am by Harry Baldman »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »

Q2 2017

Share my desalinization insights with Mr. Rasmussen (and perhaps a few qualified workers to help him actually build some desalinization devices or at least oversee their construction - he'll have to pay them himself, though) - give him the location of my bunker as well, so that he may be able to find it after the end if he needs to. Could always use a bit of trade, my rationale goes, and if he needs people for arkships, we'll certainly have them.

Spoiler: BUNKER BUSINESS! (click to show/hide)

Also, look into the possibility of obtaining loyal mercenaries in Kenya and, if possible, the nearby lands. There ought to be plenty with the warfare going on. Inform them that the world is about to end through intermediaries.

As we discussed earlier, the people are what he desperately needs, so I assume he's probably fine with any price you name. We'll use your workers for construction.

[5] Indeed, broken things without tools and materials to fix them would be very bad. You find and purchase large array of spare parts for all machines you have in the bunker. Including few machines, tools and blueprints to modify them if a sudden need to completely rebuild something arises.

Workforce alone is 200 men. By avarage their immediate family consists of wife and three children of different ages. So total thousand people. And bunker can host only 950. Mr. Rasmussen must share some space.

The list of young people you requested earlier is done. Total number of people on list (including immediate families) is around 700. Your people are keeping track of their locations so they can be easily reached at anytime. The actual problem is how you plan to attract them in? They are good smart people, what's the carrot you plan to use? Or the stick?

You have not stockpiled any medicine. Nobody has. [3] You purchase enough medicine to last two years.

[Personal inspection: 2+1] Well, all entrances are basically made for human sized objects. Even the main entrance is pretty small. Dunno if that's weakness, but submersiles from Ark-ships would have really hard time getting in.
    [Crew inspection: 2+1] The long tunnel up to top of the mountain still lacks entrances you planned.

Mercenaries are aplenty, their loyalties are questionable though. [1] You catch attention of exactly wrong kind of people.

Personal financial situation:
    All stock related decreases along with global economy.
    Still transferring land to the company.

Spoiler: Codeine Ogudi Korir (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

• Continue ongoing projects. Keep waiting on fusion plants. If no meaningful progress on shipboard reactors by the end of next quarter, start asking questions.
    • Contact Korir about desalinization plants ((What sort of deal would you like?))
    • If engineers can be spared, try to scale down the hydro engines. If not possible or practical, cut into living space.
    • Start an external recruitment drive of individuals with similar qualifications as the internal candidates. Bill it as long-term scientific expeditions.
    • Contact Sophia about branching out recruitment

|
    |
    v

The end is approaching, Ms. Papanous. Our projections of passenger space aboard my ark-ships is substantially in excess of what my own people will need; shall we cooperate to fill them with as many trustworthy individuals as possible? I am given to understand that you already have a related project underway.

Korir let's you know location of his bunker. And that he has around 750 good, highly skilled people (and their families) who he would like get on board of arks. Accept?

Korir sends his workers to build desalinization plants. [2+1] They build half of required number. Too much time goes for playing tourist.

Sophia gracefully sends her engineers to assist with hydro engines. [2] Tech is already as small as they can make it. They construct the device and get it ready for installation into Ark-ship #1.

[1] People are suspecting you have ulterior motives there so nobody is recruited.

The USA company still fails to produce minimized fusion rectors for your ships. Which is a problem that needs to handled very fast. Power production facilities must be installed onto the ships during next quarter or entire construction will halt.
    The company keeps dodging your questions, often pretending the people you want to talk with are not available or your calls are directed to trainees who don't know anything. Something smells fishy. ((We can do a mini turn to solve this one if you want to.))

Speaking of deadlines, unless a miracle happens Ark-ship #1 will be ready right before apocalypse starts. You might want to pour some extra money into it. Rest of the ships will be ready for their virgin voyage three months before that. Assuming the schedule holds.

Evaluation of company and associate personnel you requested a while ago is done: [6,2,2] Turns out your criteria is rather tight. Only 400 people match your requirements.

Oh, and US military is interested of your self-repairing metals.

Something odd happens on stock market. Dividends you receive rise nicely, but value of actual stocks drop like a ten ton brick of steel near event horizon.
    Real estate sale continues on schedule.

Spoiler: Herwald Rasmussen V (click to show/hide)

Find LOYAL mercs ASAP. Train them in CQC and prepare them for what's to come.
    Comission my engineers to help with the Ark construction.
    Stockpile weaponry for my mercenaries.
    Move onto the Ark.

[4] Luckily enough you find mercs you are looking for. [Merc reaction: 3] They don't really know what to think about the future you tell them about. Few ask if they can bring their lovers along.

Engineers are scheduled to help with all electricity related things. Those things will be installed on next quarter.

[1] Your attempt to stockpile weapons brings attention of various serious looking people in uniforms.

Earliest Arks are ready by end of Q4, so no moving yet.

Your stocks suffers same fate as of Herwald Rasmussen's. Luckily it's not your company's stocks that lose their value.
    Nobody is currently buying your real estate.

Spoiler: Sophia Papanous (click to show/hide)

Inspect bunker for structural faults or deficiencies, and also inspect the communications equipment for faults.
    Try finding research on possible ways to help stop the melting of the ice caps.

[4] Korir's bunker? Or your own ship?
    [4] Turns out the communications equipment you purchased for your ship is truly horrible crap that would have failed very soon and probably broken whole battery array. That needs to be fixed asap!

[4] Existing research about the matter mostly recommends to stop warming of enviroment. None of them actually go as far as telling how to do that except one: it suggests dropping nukes on volcanoes to release mass of particles into atmosphere. This would then reflect sunlight back to space and drop temperatures on global scale, possibly initiating new ice age if done poorly.

Your stocks is now officially trash paper. Might be good idea to get rid of it altogether.

Spoiler: Priya Gupta (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dharma Inc. (click to show/hide)

Ark-ships:
    Ships are getting ready at steady pace, numbers 1, 5, and 6 even ahead of schedule. The last two could have fusion generators already installed, but green light for installation wasn't given. As a result workers spent whole month playing ping pong. At least they made all ready for sticking parts in.

Suitable passengers found: 1650/8750
        400 - Herwald Rasmussen (engineers)
        750 - Korir (workers)
        300 - Sophia Papanous (engineers)
        200 - Sophia Papanous (mercenaries)
    Suitable crew found: 0/1800

NEWS:
    Financial:
    As our chief ecomist predicted earlier, economy took a dive downwards. Not as bad as the one few years ago.

Political:
    Large number of nations sign a document to prevent future wars. This means they can all now focus on updating their armies in peace, selling old armaments and laying off unnecessary extra soldies.

Other:
    In Czech Republic new cult is rising. They preach about incoming purification of Earth, The Second Deluge as they call it. The only reason they exceed the news threshold is because of their target audience: highly trained individuals. They claim having a prophet, but refuse to tell her name to outsiders.

Q3 2017
    I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
    Old sigs.
    Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #257 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:24 pm »

Send people to speak to the people on my list, and inform them of the coming end - whether they believe me or not, extend an invitation to come to Nairobi (fully fund their trip myself, and throw in some more cash on top of that to keep them interested, with promises of more if they actually turn up).

Meanwhile, expand the list further in case of dropouts.

If the workers would like it, fund their families' trips to join them in Mr. Rasmussen's employ.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • inveterate shitposter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #258 on: June 07, 2015, 02:34:58 pm »

• Co-conspirator employees are, of course, welcome. Broaden selection of own employees to fill ships to 75% capacity, accepting candidates who were closest to passing the line.
    • Focus effort and funding on Ship 1.
    • Check with Euro power company on the status of their work.
    • See what sort of deals U.S. military might go for.
    • Buy small quantities of small arms and ammunition, more of nonperishable medicine, food, fresh water, spare parts, &c.
    • Investigate the U.S. power company directly. Back up all data, patents, &c. re: fusion at multiple locations.

Aurora on small monitors:
    1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
    2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
    3. Run Resize Enable

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
    • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #259 on: June 07, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »

Sell off three fourths of my stocks, and buy new communications equipment.
    Inspect my ship for structural faults.
    Ain't nobody got time for that.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • Wannabe Shitposter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #260 on: June 08, 2015, 03:32:11 pm »

Let mercs take their lady friends in.
    I'd like to ask for some of the room on the Ark be left out for my closest friends, family and accomplices.
    I would like to continue training my mercs. Gift and bribe them so they keep happy.
    Explain to the MIB that I would like to buy the cheap weaponry now and sell it later at a higher price to the same people I bought it from.
    Continue to try to stockpile equipment and weaponry.
    I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
    It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
    There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
    • Space Accountant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #261 on: June 09, 2015, 02:25:25 pm »

Kinda mini mini turn here to avoid pushing completion of all ships to last minute.

• Co-conspirator employees are, of course, welcome. Broaden selection of own employees to fill ships to 75% capacity, accepting candidates who were closest to passing the line.
    • Buy small quantities of small arms and ammunition, more of nonperishable medicine, food, fresh water, spare parts, &c.
    • Investigate the U.S. power company directly. Back up all data, patents, &c. re: fusion at multiple locations.
    Euro company has finished their on ship version of the reactor a while ago if you remember.

You take trip to headquartes of the U.S. power company personally and announce them you are coming to have talks. After arriving they make you wait two hours before the their CEO and other assorted sales personel arrive. He's pretty good at avoiding answering your questions, but after roasting them for five hours you manage squeeze answer out of them.

To put it simply their engineers cannot scale down the reactor design despite of having fame for producing compact generators for ships. "This is all new technology after all" is their excuse. And the reason they have been avoiding you is that their lawyers have been trying to find way out of the contract without success so far.

Also lets discuss about those small submersibles ark-ships are supposed to have. What's main design with those? Size? Capabilites?
    I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
    Old sigs.
    Games.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • inveterate shitposter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #262 on: June 12, 2015, 05:01:54 pm »

• Offer an out for the American company. They pay us a substantial (open for some negotiation here -- don't press so hard that they take truly drastic action) fee in exchange for waiving the second main term of the contract (the obligation to produce shipboard reactors) and they continue to not redistribute the technology in return for retaining the license to produce the land-based reactors. I.E. contract stays the same except removing requirement for shipboard reactors in exchange for a fee.
    • Use the European shipboard reactors in the arkships.

Submersibles/midget submarines. In general <100t, a crew of no more than 6 people, and little/no onboard living space. More specifically, something akin to the DSV Alvin and other subs of its class. Grasping and cutting manipulators possibly with an arm with universal adapter clamps so that other tools could be made to fit, proof against high pressure, external storage capacity of some sort, &c. Basically for salvage work and mapping out newly-underwater ocean floor for hazards and safe channels, and maybe eventually sub-surface construction.

3. Run Resize Enable

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
    • Space Accountant
      • View Profile
    Re: Apocalypse Wow
    « Reply #263 on: June 13, 2015, 02:27:36 am »

Q3 2017

Send people to speak to the people on my list, and inform them of the coming end - whether they believe me or not, extend an invitation to come to Nairobi (fully fund their trip myself, and throw in some more cash on top of that to keep them interested, with promises of more if they actually turn up).

Meanwhile, expand the list further in case of dropouts.

If the workers would like it, fund their families' trips to join them in Mr. Rasmussen's employ.

[6] You rather generously toss 5000 dollars at each person in addition of funding their trip, which seems to catch attention of people, including those who you didn't invive. In the end there's three thousand people hanging around your main office. What now?

[6] Not sure if you want to expand the list in current situation, but your staff succesfully does so effectively doubling it.

[1] There seems to be shortage of medicine in Kenya. Go beg some from Priya Gupta.

[4+1] The terminal is build fast and proven sturdy enough to withstand super massive tsunami and extreme pressures. It can probably withstand even the volcano erupting.

Yeah, your employees would like to have fully paid cruise.

Other news: 50 of your employees fail to show up into work during last two weeks. Police finds out that they and their entire families have been brutally murdered.

Also, you probably want to move that stockpile of MREs into the bunker?

Despite of economic failure going on your stocks and dividends keep their value.

Spoiler: Codeine Ogudi Korir (click to show/hide)

[1] Nah, upon rechecking the list it turns out there was a clerical error. Even fewer people actually qualify than earlier was reported, but you keep them on the list anyway. Gotta find more people elsewhere.

Dumping money on ship 1.

US military basically wants exclusive rights to buy those self-repairing metals, but they understand that is suboptimal for international company like yours. So their bottomline is exclusive military rights in exchange for price of your choosing. Basically you cannot sell self-repairing metals for any foreign military forces. And they would like to have your company do building of new warships using self-repairing metals since your employees have already experience working with it.

[1] You forgot that you are banned from purchasing weapons since that one accident on your teen years. Solving that thing takes enough time to make you forget rest of your shopping list.

Desanilization plants are finally completed, enough for each ark-ship.

• Offer an out for the American company. They pay us a substantial (open for some negotiation here -- don't press so hard that they take truly drastic action) fee in exchange for waiving the second main term of the contract (the obligation to produce shipboard reactors) and they continue to not redistribute the technology in return for retaining the license to produce the land-based reactors. I.E. contract stays the same except removing requirement for shipboard reactors in exchange for a fee.
      • Use the European shipboard reactors in the arkships.

Submersibles/midget submarines. In general <100t, a crew of no more than 6 people, and little/no onboard living space. More specifically, something akin to the DSV Alvin and other subs of its class. Grasping and cutting manipulators possibly with an arm with universal adapter clamps so that other tools could be made to fit, proof against high pressure, external storage capacity of some sort, &c. Basically for salvage work and mapping out newly-underwater ocean floor for hazards and safe channels, and maybe eventually sub-surface construction.

[5] They gladly accept your offer and pay 3 billion as fees.

Submersibles got. An afterthought roll was 5, so you are doing good here.

Your own money comes back in form of dividends. Despite of otherwise bad economy your stocks remain up.
      All non-essential real estate is sold, leaving only your 250 million dollar family estate.

Spoiler: Herwald Rasmussen V (click to show/hide)

Sell off three fourths of my stocks, and buy new communications equipment.
      Inspect my ship for structural faults.

[3] Economy isn't doing well, so you end up selling those at rather cheap price.

[4] Well, it seems to be in good condition. Standard maintenance might be helpful, but nothing really beyond that. In addition of replacing those horrible horrible communications equipment you purchased for it.

The companies whose stocks you own go all under. The stocks are now literal trash, good thing you sold some before this happened.

Spoiler: Priya Gupta (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dharma Inc. (click to show/hide)

Let mercs take their lady friends in.
      I'd like to ask for some of the room on the Ark be left out for my closest friends, family and accomplices.
      I would like to continue training my mercs. Gift and bribe them so they keep happy.
      Explain to the MIB that I would like to buy the cheap weaponry now and sell it later at a higher price to the same people I bought it from.
      Continue to try to stockpile equipment and weaponry.

Ok, lovers permitted.

At moment there's plenty of space left.

[3] Yeah, they keep training kinda half heartedly. Knowing that world is coming to end and that these skills are useless in the bleak future tends to do that. Half of the time they spend your money for various vices so I suppose they are kind of happy. Kind of.

[1] They don't buy your explanations. In addition they find out that the mercs you have guarding your power stations are forwarding their extensive paychecks to terrorist groups. As such you are suspected for assisting terrorists and put into pretrial custody.

You have hard time doing anything weapons related from prison as your funds are frozen at moment. ((That's some really bad luck.))

Stocks make more money for you, but you can't enjoy of it in prison.
      Likewise selling your real estate is prevented.

Spoiler: Sophia Papanous (click to show/hide)

Ark-ships:
      Herwald's money speaks, and additional people are hired for construction of Ark-ship #1. Job is done rapidly and with high quality, bringing it on same schedule with other ships, the schedule being completion on end of next quarter.
      I probably should hint at this point that investing money into tasks helps. Those $ numbers aren't there just for a show. You can also assist each other.

Suitable passengers found: 2150/8750
          400 - Herwald Rasmussen (engineers)
          450 - Korir (skilled young peple + family) (overflow from bunker)
          750 - Korir (workers + family) (overflow from bunker)
          300 - Sophia Papanous (engineers)
          200 - Sophia Papanous (mercenaries)
          50 - Sophia Papanous (civilians)
      Suitable crew found: 0/1800

Bunker:
      Planned Inhabitants: 2150/950
          350 Young, skilled, educated individuals
          1050 Immediate families of people above (wives & children).
          150 Skilled workers
          600 Immediate families of skilled workers (wives & children).

Priya's ship:   
      Passengers found: 0/650
      Crew found 0/350

NEWS:
      Financial:
      Economical dive keeps going.

Meteorological:
      Polar caps are literally melting in eyes. Meteorologists go nuts and yell "I told you!" to everybody who's willing to listen.
      Odd global weather stabilization is taking a place. All rain stops by september, only few occasional drizzle keeps plants from drying. Usually scattered clouds of Earth are now uniformly scattered. Measured distance between two groups of clouds is basically identical all around the globe.

Q4 2017

((We should come up names for ark-ships, Korir's bunker and Priya's ship since those are what mankind will call a home for who knows how long. Watchers can also suggest names.))
      Old sigs.
      Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
        • View Profile
      « Reply #264 on: June 13, 2015, 04:32:27 am »

Seems like we're not hurting for bunker people! Well then, conduct interviews via my flunkies and obtain a list of 50 skilled, educated individuals to live in the bunker with their families. Or however many I can take to fill my bunker to capacity (keeping the number of workers and families as-is).

Bring the MREs (and myself) into the bunker.

In the meantime, fund a hunt for whoever was responsible for the murders.

In addition, pay to have the information on my bunker-guests expunged from any existing records. Well, them and about just as many random unfortunates, to keep people guessing.

Finally, see if I can work out a deal to buy up a whole lot of Priya Gupta's medicine, about two or three decades' worth for a thousand people. Include contraceptives in the list of needed medicines if they aren't yet. Help her with finding whatever people she requires.

(oh, and from here on in the bunker ought to be dubbed the Fateful Pit)
      « Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:10:25 am by Harry Baldman »

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
      • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
        • View Profile
      « Reply #265 on: June 13, 2015, 05:42:10 am »

Start searching for people to bring onto the ship, especially those who are young, educated, and skilled.
      Start replacing the communications equipment, and continue stockpiling canned food, MREs, and medical supplies, such as antibiotics, painkillers, and others. Also, start finding crew for the ship, preferably trying to find the most skilled.

Agree to give Korir the medical supplies in exchange for help finding crew and passengers for my ship.
      « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:39:17 am by wipeout1024 »
      Ain't nobody got time for that.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
      • Space Accountant
        • View Profile
      « Reply #266 on: June 13, 2015, 07:11:24 am »

Please note this:

Finally, see if I can work out a deal to buy up a whole lot of Priya Gupta's medicine, about two or three decades' worth for a thousand people. Include contraceptives in the list of needed medicines if they aren't yet.
      Old sigs.
      Games.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
      • inveterate shitposter
        • View Profile
      « Reply #267 on: June 13, 2015, 08:27:50 am »

• Loosen the personnel requirements further. Accept skilled workers and thinkers of any age, including those with families, from the company. Open message to my colleagues inviting them to do the same. Stop planning for filling space at 80% capacity.
      • Finish my shopping.
      • U.S. Military: Price is $6bUS for the exclusive military rights, open for negotiation as low as $4bUS. Let them know that we're interested in ocean-exploration and change over time in floor level, coastlines, &c. for future company-sponsored scientific expeditions; we'll knock $2bUS off that price in exchange for copies of U.S. military maps of the world, both land and oceans (if they push, of course they should censor sensitive data first).

If there's a deal, let them know that our largest shipyards are already involved in a major project, but requests for smaller classes of ship might be able to begin within a relatively short period of time.

3. Run Resize Enable

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
      • Wannabe Shitposter
        • View Profile
      « Reply #268 on: June 14, 2015, 08:56:25 am »

((Guys, could you be of any aid with the imprisonment situation I got going right now? Could any of you try to influence anything?))

I'd like to try to use my influence to be released out of jail. If I fail, I'd like to prepare a believable story for the trial.
      I'd like to donate 50 milllion of dollars to the foundation.
      If I successfully defend myself, I'd like to immedieately move onto the Ark.
      I'd like to inform the MIBs exactly which mercs had contacts with terrorist organisations.
      Recruit more mercenaries and train them for their job.
      « Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:16:50 pm by SaberToothTiger »
      I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
      It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
      There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
      • inveterate shitposter
        • View Profile
      « Reply #269 on: June 14, 2015, 10:52:41 am »

((That's what I'm working towards -- if I can get in with the U.S. military, I might be able to leverage those contacts to push for your release.))

3. Run Resize Enable
      Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44