Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?  (Read 6692 times)

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2015, 02:48:35 pm »

Candy. I've started mining it several times, and at least once I started extracting it and smelting wafers, but I've never actually made anything out of it.

Air-drowning chamber for the harvesting of large aquatic animals.

Tree farm (sorta). I've dug out tree farms, but I've never kept playing a fortress long enough for trees to mature.

Settled in a cavern.

My most recent fort had two "firsts" that I've been wanting for for a while. It was the first time I made magma forges near the surface (using a minimalist minecart method). The cart-filling apparatus was later used as the basis for my first ever obsidian caster. And now that I think about it, it was the first time I ever used minecarts for quantum stockpiling (because I had to learn how to use minecarts to transport the magma.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:51:20 pm by Pink Photon »

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2015, 07:44:14 am »

I have never succeeded in building a non-lethal waterfall ever.

I've never set up a well/water system without having anyone die.
This is great.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2015, 10:07:30 am »

I've never bothered with beekeeping or nest boxes, primarily. I'd like to eventually try nests, but I don't even know where to begin there.

I've also never gotten far enough to worry about candy or clowns, though I have had magma forges before.

Also never really had a hospital, as my military rarely fights directly against anything worse than a kobold, or a langur. I should build one in my current fort though, it's less turtle-like than I usually make and has some aboveground elements (which I'd love to do more of, but it takes so much wood to build large multistory buildings...

Yeah, wells and water are another thing I haven't played with, come to think of it.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

I've never bothered with beekeeping or nest boxes, primarily. I'd like to eventually try nests, but I don't even know where to begin there.

Nest boxes are really easy! You just make a room and place one in it, then drop a female bird in that room and have a male around. Eventually it will claim the nest. The eggs are always fertilized though, so if you don't collect them from the nest box and take them away from their loving mother, they'll eventually hatch!
This is great.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2015, 10:28:14 am »

making a working ranged unit for my military...or getting my military fully equipped in proper armor...basically i never get around to making a proper military.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2015, 11:18:46 am »

Making sure everyone survives... That is seriously a low priority for me. I always sacrifice some random dwarf to the goblins or whoever's attacking, armed with only a leather buckler, leather cloak, and obsidian short sword, just to watch someone die. My forts normally are high discipline, too, as everyone fights, and half the time are open-concept ideas, where the invader is brought into the city to fight without any walls, only tactically set spear and weapon traps, archer towers, and, before town hall, a ballista.

Sidenote: Before I got to this forum, I had only underground, impenetrable cities, separate from the mines, and mourned the loss of every single cat or dog that died, let alone a dwarf. A small group of champions were the ones to challenge whoever came, completely alone. Now... Send out the children!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2015, 11:50:34 am »

I have yet to conquer the hidden fun stuff, unfortunately.  All attempts have ended poorly either by unleashing them, or something else coming along to ruin me (I'm looking at you, deadly dust forgotten beings...)

I also have yet to conquer aquifiers that go more than two z-levels.  (Only did beat a one-layer aquifer through the almighty magma.)

Lastly, I have yet to survive at all on a tundra or evil biome.  (All attempts on evil biome have ended with death by skeletal yak.  I dare say yaks are my least favorite animal due to this game.)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2015, 12:45:24 pm »

I have yet to conquer the hidden fun stuff, unfortunately.  All attempts have ended poorly either by unleashing them, or something else coming along to ruin me (I'm looking at you, deadly dust forgotten beings...)

I also have yet to conquer aquifiers that go more than two z-levels.  (Only did beat a one-layer aquifer through the almighty magma.)

Lastly, I have yet to survive at all on a tundra or evil biome.  (All attempts on evil biome have ended with death by skeletal yak.  I dare say yaks are my least favorite animal due to this game.)

It sucks when all your preparation for a proper dwarfly fight with the HFS gets crushed when there happens to be a clown type that is just a metal blob. Having my legendary champions be killed one by one by "pushes" was enough to make me go on hiatus for a while. (by the way, try using an arena flooded with 3/7 water for your final bossfight, it nullifies the flame demons and protects quite well against most dust-based syndrome effects. Also I feel ya with the yaks, but for me it's water buffalo skins. And undead water buffalo. And undead water buffalo heads. And live water buffalo that take a dislike to my hunters. And water buffalo that die in my dining hall and stink my for into a stressed-out mass of chaos. I don't like water buffalo thanks to DF :/
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]