Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?  (Read 6709 times)

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Re: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 05:42:21 pm »

Before i shame the dwarf name too much, i massacre elf traders every time they step inside my depot
Phew... you scared me for a second...
7) never embarked to a glacier
I actually just did a glacier embark, it wasn't the lack of resources that killed me though... stupid werebuffalo found its way to me...
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Richard Von Veger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McRichard cancels sleep:interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 07:04:26 am »

Never started a fortress with Aquifers
Never used power
Never used magma
Never built a water trap
Never visited the circus
Never fought a dragon

When I look at it now, there is a lot of things I never done.And I am playing DF for ~9 months now...

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 08:52:27 am »

Oh, the things I have never done. Like a few people before me, I get caught up in making my fortress look nice, and usually start a new fort because I did something that just irks me to no end in the design.

I've never been to the circus, not even a peep into the tent.
I've never built any sort of pump stack or messed with power.
I've never built a waterfall even though I really want to.
I've never once settled in the caverns, though I do open them up.
I've never gotten candy. It's usually always surrounded with lava and just not worth the effort to me.
I've never messed with minecrafts or tracks (or quantum stockpiles).
I've never found or trapped a GCS or a dragon (even a cave dragon sadly).

And this may get me lynched considering how many years I've been playing this game, but I've never started a war with the elves.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2015, 02:35:05 pm »

I've never been to the circus, not even a peep into the tent.
One peep is all you need to lose a fortress to demons... xD
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 02:08:14 am »

>All these people don't build hospitals.

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

Quite easily if your overriding goal is to turtle behind a crap ton of traps.   Frequently by the time the 3rd migrant wave rolls around I've goten things setup to seal the fortress off at a moments notice with at least the start of a trap coridor.   If you never sally forth to fight invaders and keep the caverns nice and sealed off when your not actively gathering something from them there are not that many way's for dwarves to get injured outside of operator error (oh gravity and minecarts, thou art cruel mistresses)   I've had forts go for 10-20 years without any major injuries that required a hospital.  Thats not to say there were no major injuries at all but they tended to fall in the near instant lethality range.   Not much a hospital can do for a hauler that got decapitated in an ambush or one that got run over by a minecart and pushed down the dropshaft to the magma forges.  That cave croc didnt leave much of that fisher to stitch togeather either.

I usualy slap a hospital zone over a bed or two, usualy the ones from the initial dorms once I upgrade to individual rooms just so any injuries go somewhere I can find but I dont normaly bother seting up dedicated staff or supplies till I start on major military training.   I just turn on the doctor skills for some idlers if I spot an injury that needs attention, other times I they recover on their own before I notice.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 04:57:28 am »

Typically neglect...
The mid-and-lower caverns, as I tend to have enough piddling stuff to do topside (building pointless castles is a favorite pastime.)
Magma (travesty, I know, but I'm very lazy and don't like basically rebuilding my foundries once they're built the first time.)
Anything complex. I have an intense fear of moving gears, minecarts, and running liquids of the burny or drowny variety. I will admit it's mainly because I don't like the FPS hit moving liquids often gives me, but I also prefer my dwarves die in a manner I can recover the remains. Hell, even simple traps get neglected period because I'd rather arm soldiers that can chase the enemy and give me a possible source of FUN.
Clothing industries tend to suffer in favor of looting clothes or just producing one new outfit for everyone every few years.
Never built a silk farm either.
Never deliberately started a war with humans now that I think about it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 06:09:33 am »

Siege engines. I always think "hey they're pretty cool" but never get to work on it.

Been a few years since I touched them.

Also pump stacks. Considering I always embark on volcanoes all the time I don't really need them.

A 1z pump is fine though. Also the only use of power that I do is for millstones.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:29 am »

>All these people don't build hospitals.

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

Stuff that kills most of my dwarves are deadly with or without hospitals. Hospitals are for the very lucky survivors. Hospitals are of limited value for me. The length of time it takes for dwarves to haul wounded there, then the time it takes for a doctor to actually make a diagnosis and do something about it - days. The dwarf is usually going to die before that; the hospital seems to make recovery faster, but that's about it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 10:02:33 am »

I make hospitals in all forts, but hospitals as the first thing you do ? Naah. It's fine to not have an hospital by year 2, although I generally make one around that length of time.

Or when I need one.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 10:29:06 am »

Never used minecarts, never used siege engines.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »

Conquering hell, or playing the same fort long enough for a kid to grow up.

I also want to fully domesticate at least one wild animal species, just to see if I can import them to future forts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »

I tend to clear cut and flatten the area around where I start digging out my fortress so I can later build a fancy stone block above-ground fortress there. The problem is I never quite get around to it. I'll do some earth-working, like making a moat around the area and stuff, but never the actual fortress.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 07:23:28 pm »

-Minecarts
-Proper military training. I try but my dwarves refuse to take part in it, usually I just capture goblins and use them as live training, which is a more dwarfy method anyway.
-magma pump stack, it's rare enough I bother with a water stack let alone deadly deadly magma. Many other people on this forum seem to be similarly disinclined.
-Beekeeping, cheese and animal husbandry. It's hunting, fishing farming or trading for me.

Aside: One consistent thing people seem to have said on this forum so far is HFS. I lost a fort when I fell for the candy sword, then I lost about 3 more fortresses trying to figure out how to dominate the circus. When I finally won I literally built a massive spiral staircase down to the circus, built a small outpost and began hunting clowns on mass, making badass leather jackets, silken socks and bone figurines out of clown cadavers. Such sweet revenge for poor Clasphoists. *WINNING IS FUN*

Edit: Wow looking at this forum makes me feel way better. I thought I was pretty inexperienced considering there are parts of DF I don't touch but it looks like my list is shorter than most. I guess I feel like a big man now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:28:45 pm by MrCompassionate »
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 09:07:54 pm »

I've never settled the 2nd and 3rd cavern layers. The places that I find everything I need in the early game are where I settle, and by the time I see lower cavern layers, I'm already too invested in surface and/or first layer. This embark I even specifically dug to open all cavern layers and magma from the beginning, but didn't find anything except the magma sea. By the time I did open caverns, it didn't make much sense to expand to the 1st much less the lower ones.

This next fort i'm starting i'm deliberately going to settle on the cavern levels so i can be closer to the magma sea and get actual magma forges going. I've never succesfully built a magma piston(i dont quite understand the steps to its construction, do you channel the sides down a long shaft, build bridges/hatches around the level you'll make it drop to, build a support on the side with a floor attaching to the piston, and then channel the roof away above the piston?)  and a magma pump stack is FAR too much work for me.

Going to take multiple military dwarves in case of GCS fun... Do GCS appear on all cavern levels or just the third one?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2015, 10:07:48 pm »

Going to take multiple military dwarves in case of GCS fun... Do GCS appear on all cavern levels or just the third one?

The dorf-eating spiders should show up on any cavern layer if I'm not mistaken. Been awhile since I've seen one in vanilla though (as of late, I've not gone poking holes in caverns because I hate moss growing on everything in my dirt layers.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5