Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Surprisepalace, The Rebirth!  (Read 37861 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2015, 12:21:07 am »

EoyaBosan, is Demonic Spoon the Hivelord still alive? I'm curious about how he's doing.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2015, 03:09:11 am »

Hi,

I've recently been dealing with some family stuff, and school hasn't really been cooperating with my life either. I'm not sure if I'll be able to play my turn. You can remove me from the list now, sorry.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2015, 06:59:04 am »

Hi,

I've recently been dealing with some family stuff, and school hasn't really been cooperating with my life either. I'm not sure if I'll be able to play my turn. You can remove me from the list now, sorry.

That's fine. I've taken you off the list. Good luck taking care of stuff, and feel free to sign up again sometime in the future!
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »

It is with great regret that I have to inform you that Surprisepalace has crumbled to its end. We put up a brave fight, but there are some things even a legendary macedwarf has no hope of defeating. Should you wish to see what ended our fair fortress, look below - but I warn you, it's not for the faint of heart...

(It's not really spoilers, you can look at it!)

On a more serious note, does anyone know what to do about this? I tried reloading an earlier save, but it just happens again.

Eoya, you're not supposed to read spoilered stuff. ;) But anyway, your posts are great! You even seem to be making the fortress better. :)

It was quoting me, so I figured it wouldn't be anything too spoilerific. I haven't read anything else spoilered, I promise!

EoyaBosan, is Demonic Spoon the Hivelord still alive? I'm curious about how he's doing.
DemonicSpoon is still alive...

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2015, 09:34:30 pm »

Hmmmm.

"However, never alter or delete the folder with the name of the game you're playing while saving from the game, or while that game is running! This can cause fatal flaws many dwarf-seasons later, and is one known cause of the "Nemesis Unit Load Failed" crash error."

"The saved game folder will usually have these contents:
A series of files named unit-#.dat. Replacing these has been known to cause the infamous Nemesis Unit Load Failed error. Resolving the aforementioned error, however, involves copying these over from a previous backup of the save. Depending on the size of the world, there could easily be thousands of these files, making it infeasible to send the saved game folder without compressing it all in one file first."

From the DF Wiki

Should we try fixing the save? Or...hm...alternately we could start Surprisepalace II? ;)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2015, 01:30:55 am »

I have no idea, sign me up for either anyway!
I do stuff, I guess

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2015, 02:31:38 am »

Or we could pick the last uncorrupted save. It's a shame, though, I liked EoyaBosan's turn, would be a shame for it to go to waste.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:38:14 am by than402 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2015, 05:44:21 am »

The save seems to have been riddled with technical problems since early on. Honestly I'd recommend starting afresh. Suprisepalaces had a good run.

DemonicSpoon is still alive...

Hahaha! I love it. Yeah, the hives was my best idea yet. Also, your description reminded me of something...

Dr. Bees!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:51:18 am by Demonic Spoon »

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2015, 06:44:23 am »

I would tentatively say I have "fixed" the issue, in a way. It seems the problem was that one of the migrants of the next migrant wave was a historical figure whose data had been corrupted, so I just lowered the population cap to cancel the migrant wave - which is... less than ideal, but at least means I can finish my turn. It's basically one of those no migrant fortresses, but even more extreme: if you let even a single migrant in the entire universe ends.

I also tried replacing the unit files with ones from the earliest save (after Chaoseed's turn), but it didn't work. The save must've been corrupted more or less from the beginning.

Here's what I'd propose: start Surprisepalace II now in another thread. Meanwhile, I'll quietly run this fortress into the ground, leaving a few "surprises" for anyone who wants to explore it in adventurer mode. Alternatively, if anyone's willing to continue as a no migrant fortress, you'd be welcome to take a turn after me.

Also, Demonic Spoon, if you play with fire...

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2015, 07:59:29 am »

I suggest going the "no migrant" way. The insanity must continue!

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »

I suggest going the "no migrant" way. The insanity must continue!

Bear in mind, that might not be the only corrupted historical figure; the game could just as easily end later due to a caravan or siege involving the wrong individual.

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2015, 05:51:22 pm »

Unless somebody says otherwise, I'm assuming we will be continuing the fortress succession as planned. I suppose at least that way the helpful little notes I've been leaving around the place won't go to waste...

Tune in tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion! Surprises guaranteed!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2015, 12:30:05 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that Building destroyers won't destroy stuff directly adjacent to them or something, which was probably the cause of the door problem.

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2015, 06:46:46 pm »

And with that unexpected turn of events, the time has come to hand over the fortress. The save can be found here.

Some advice for the next overseer(s):
  • Before doing anything, go to your Dwarf Fortress folder -> data -> init -> d_init.txt and set POPULATION_CAP to something less than the current fortress population. STRICT_POPULATION_CAP doesn't matter. If you don't, there's a good chance the game will crash at the spring migrant wave.
  • If the game crashes anyway, try retiring and unretiring.
  • If that still doesn't work, try regenerating the world with the same seed and copying over the (hopefully uncorrupted) unit files to replace the corrupted ones.
  • There's a whole bunch of notes about the fortress. White on blue were made by someone else; yellow on red were made by me. I hope they're at least somewhat useful.
  • Military equipment more or less works as it is, but might well break if you add anyone new to existing squads. I'd recommend starting a new squad instead.
  • Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but you might, hypothetically, want to cancel pulling the lever on the right and pull the one on the left instead...
  • On a related note, I sure hope you have PAUSE_ON_LOAD set to YES.
  • Have fun, and don't let the werecreatures bite!
  • Seriously, don't.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12