Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: SCP: Another day, another death [IC]  (Read 7817 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: SCP: Another day, another death [IC]
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 06:39:03 pm »

Agent Park
Cabling? Affirmative, 100mm or bigger at least, this thing is huge. Don't know how effective tear gas will be but might as well take it. No flamethrowers, they have little use against something that has no fear and I don't plan on getting close enough to use them. Bring as many rocket launchers as your arms can carry, give me the order number for the gear and I'll send it along with the vehicles. See you at the airstrip in 20.

Park went to the motor pool and found just the right amount of surplus M2A1 IFVs. Perfect. You're taking all of these? Yes I am. We've got a job to do, pal.

12x M2A1 Bradley IFVs
Capacity: 3 crew + 7 passengers
Loadout: 25mm Chain gun, 1x TOW II (7 rounds), secondary 7.62 mm MG

He filled out his order forms and booked the small fleet of transport aircraft it would take to move all the vehicles and gear. All that was left was the men.

Park arrived at the airstrip in his MTF Winter Combat Uniform where Carter had the similarly equipped troops lined up. He stood near Carter in front of the ranks and spoke at a private volume without taking his eyes from the ranks. Time to cut the dregs, we're only taking 87 of them. He still clutched the SCP dossier and presently handed it to Carter for him to review. He scanned the formation, recognizing most of the faces, and nodded approvingly. Excellent work. It'll be tough to weed them out. How many volunteered?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2015, 08:23:56 am »

Carter briefly scanned the dossier, and handed it back to Park. "That looks proper nasty." He paused, looked over the assembled troops, and turned back to Park. "This is Bravo Company, one hundred men strong. They were quite...eager to prove themselves. As far as weeding out goes, I'll pass word to the platoon leaders through Captain McCullough. I trust his judgement implicitly." Carter strode over to one of the men standing at the head of the company, and spoke briefly. Shortly, the company was down to an acceptable strength. Three men stepped forward from the ranks. "Park, I want you to meet 2Lt. Kowalski, 1st Platoon, Lt. Briggs, 2nd Platoon, and 2Lt Walker, 3rd Platoon."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:15:12 am by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 08:18:31 pm »

Agent Park
Pleased to meet you Walker, Briggs— Park took the time to shake their hands. —and happy to see you back on your feet, Kowalski. You recovered nicely after that run-in with the cat. He made copies of the dossier earlier and distributed them now. You know the drill by now. Study it closely gentlemen, and brief your men. Each of you pick 4 volunteers, and Kowalski take 5 instead.. He paused. He had a better idea than sending them home. Those lucky 13 are our capture team. They'll ride on top of the AFVs in 1st Platoon, they'll be equipped with cabling for tying down the giant once it's disabled. You're dismissed, see to it.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 10:14:18 pm »

Agent Carter
Carter again turned to Park. How much in the way of sustained fire do you think we'll need to bring this bastard down?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2015, 05:16:14 am »

Agent Park
More than we'd think, and less than we'd hope. It recovered from losing the lower half of one of its legs in seconds. It's wishful to assume we'll be able to use all our firepower at once, but that's why we're taking so many vehicles. It can't take more than 2 or 4 Bradleys to pin it down with cannon fire once we've used a TOW to kneecap him, then cannons chew him up while the infantry offload and regroup, cover with rifles while the gunners deploy grenades and launchers, finally the capture team moves in to tie it's body down. They have fish hooks, steel cable and those special self-driving pitons for use as anchor points. They need to punch into solid rock to be most effective, the frozen ground or concrete buildings work well as an alternative. We know it can regenerate limbs but we can't risk damaging the head, it might die. It seems pretty slow too. It eats people, we can use the men as bait lure it to someplace clear where the vehicles will have plenty of room to avoid him.

After Dinvale had finished with the supplies, their transport arrives and Park has Carter embark the company.

Somewhere in Eastern Europe...
It was a long flight. Later that night they arrived at the UN rear air base where their equipment had already been offloaded, the temperature was already dipping below zero. Just before they landed the men had all donned their robin blue peacekeeping helmets; Park pulled on a blue beret and made sure his Major's insignia was pinned on correctly. The men debarked and he asked Captain Carter and 1st Lt. Dinvale to organize an immediate sortie. Meanwhile he departed to the base commandant's office to establish their cover and justify the mission.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2015, 09:16:31 am »

"Well enough. We were about to let a Class D get a look at the painting before you called me, and I said I would have it for an hour, so, I don't have much time... Was there something you needed?"
"I'd like some help researching this other SCP after you're done with the painting."

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 09:21:11 am »

Agent Dinvale

I wasn't going to say anything earlier, but now I'm curious, why do we have 13 soldiers nailed to the tops of our AFVs? I think it might affect our excuse for being here as peacekeepers...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 04:26:27 pm »

Agent Dinvale

I wasn't going to say anything earlier, but now I'm curious, why do we have 13 soldiers nailed to the tops of our AFVs? I think it might affect our excuse for being here as peacekeepers...
((Soldiers ride on the tops of armored vehicles all the time.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »

Agent Dinvale

((Soldiers ride on the tops of armored vehicles all the time.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((The image of having people tied to the top of our car was too good, I had to communicate it))

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:38 am »

Agent Carter
Alright, Dinvale, let's get this sorted. I say we take first and second platoons and grid the area the SCP is suspected to be in. I'll ride with Kowalski and head up first, you and Briggs can take second. Also, as far as callsigns go: I've spoken with our air support. They are going by Lancer 1 and Lancer 2. Collectively, Bravo Company is designated Pitfall. You can raise any of the platoon leaders on the radio by calling for Pitfall 1 Actual, Pitfall 2 Actual, or Pitfall 3 Actual for Kowalski, Briggs, and Walker respectively. Captain McCullough is Pitfall Actual. You need to get a hold of me or Park, just use your encrypted earpiece. Nobody else will be on that net. Ready to head out?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:48 am »

Agent Dinvale
Thanks for informing me, I'm a bit behind on army lingo having never been in the military. Ready when you are.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2015, 08:00:59 am »

Agent Carter
Let's mount up then. Lieutenant Kowalski! Let's get this show on the road! Carter quickly made his way to first platoon's lead vehicle, clambering inside the troop compartment and rapidly settling in with the infantry squad. He keyed his earpiece. Park, this is Carter. First platoon and I are ready to depart. Dinvale is with second. We're going to work a grid search pattern near the SCP's last known location. Any last minute intel for us?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2015, 11:09:05 pm »

Agent Park
As he left the administrative office Park took a moment to reply. The UN Commandant told me they lost contact with two of their northern patrols only a few hours ago, so they sent out a few platoons of infantry on a seek and destroy mission, now they're out there getting slaughtered by an "ogre"... Park grit his teeth. The damn fools fled into the city, it's eating civilians and wreaking havoc out there. The spooks have their work cut out for them but we've gotta go in there and stop the fucking thing first. Park arrived at third platoon's vehicles and climbed atop one of the IFVs. Third platoon! Mount up! He bent and sat down halfway inside the commander's hatch, then took the radio mic that was offered to him. Capture teams okay? Alright, let's move it out Bravo Company. He handed the mic back and took up a map instead, then began directing the team towards the town.

On the way there he discussed with his command team. This is bad. We need a new plan, the armor won't be as useful in the town. Ideas?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2015, 12:23:48 pm »

Agent Dinvale
Dinvale spoke into the earpiece. Quietly, so the soldiers she was with wouldn't hear of the trouble.

Any chance we can find something faster, maybe motorbikes or cars that are faster than these IFVs? If we can't get a timely delivery from the foundation, we could probably demand the civilians loan us their vehicles for the mission, I doubt they'd refuse a bunch of soldiers commandeering their cars to fight a giant monster.

She looked around at the soldiers around her, they seemed bored waiting for the call to move out. Best not to get them concerned until a decision had been reached.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:43 pm »

Agent Park
Park made his decision quickly. He wasn't about to make himself responsible for the expenditure behind a city-wide retrogression. There's no time to fly anything in, it's stomping around a city filled with who knows how many witnesses, we have to catch it now. We're undercover so I don't give a damn with the civilians think of us, but we can't transport the rocket launchers on motorbikes. Car might work if we could find enough of them but dismounting to fight would be a pain. They could be useful as decoys. Drawing it out of the city would be ideal, but there are just too many people concentrated there, it would be impossible. An evacuation might work if there are enough UN survivors, I'm sure those cowards would be more than glad to have an excuse to run away again. Damn them for putting us in this position.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:25:37 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7