Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What would it take to make DF a MMO?  (Read 1952 times)

Gulfd'An

Re: What would it take to make DF a MMO?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

lets stop talking about content for a sec kay? what about the server? who will provide it also do you know how much one costs? (i have a guese cause im on the develpoment team of a new mainly online game that i can't furtherly discuss) all this must be taken into acount also how it will take a long time to make it work as a online game. not to burst your buble just slow down and think. mabey ask toady if he even wants it to be mmo?

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

The more I think about it the more I imagine any sort of multiplayer option added to the game as being third party. Looking at the dev notes there is no mention of multiplayer at all after all. Still, someone could code an external program that allows for more than one person to play on the same map. Since there isn't any direct interaction between the players there is no need for a server to be online at all times, you could just play with your friend or friends and send a file through E-mail when you want to update your fortress, send a message, send or request military aid. Then have this outside progrma edit the files in your save game to include the agreed upon resources/dwarves. Really don't know if that is possible or if anyone would even want to do that. It would let you play Single player but simulate contact with other dwarven fortresses in your area. This could be developed along side Dwarf fortress to keep it compatible with any new release. Since it would be developed all on its own whoever is creating it could make a vast number of political options if they wanted to (and had the coding know how) Who knows if people like it they could run PBEM type games with 5-10 people. People run community forts all the time so it wouldn't be that much different, would be kind of like a community map :P
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

code:

Welcome to Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress Online
                        Tales of Deceit and Wealth  

Log on
                                  Quit

Later that night while killing rats in some newbie area.

code:

The spinning adamantium balista bolt strikes you in the chest!
It collaspes in a lump of gore.
Haxx0r Anusrippers the Bleeding Anus of Anuses says: lulz u got pwnt newb i'm leat
You log off

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

No, just no.
This entire thread makes me puke.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sheogorath:
<STRONG>
code:

Welcome to Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress Online
                        Tales of Deceit and Wealth  

Log on
                                  Quit

Later that night while killing rats in some newbie area.

code:

The spinning adamantium balista bolt strikes you in the chest!
It collaspes in a lump of gore.
Haxx0r Anusrippers the Bleeding Anus of Anuses says: lulz u got pwnt newb i'm leat
You log off

</STRONG>

haha, I could definitely definitely see that name generator being abused  :D
As if it weren't already producing bad names as it is randomly

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

I agree with Markavian, something along the lines of Spore seems most likely to me - also because it is easiest to implement. You could base it on downloading other peoples' worlds.

For adventure mode for example, the first simple step would be to have an option to export your adventurer and import him/her into another world/game. You could even make it feel more like in-game travelling by giving the export option only in harbour cities or the like. So what your adventurer would do would be taking a ship to another continent...

For fortress mode alone such content-sharing ideas apparently only make sense if there can be some interaction in between fortresses - but who knows, maybe this is even somehow part of the army arc? Isn't the intend that you can send your armies to attack other sites? Maybe you could send actual reclaim parties to other abandoned fortresses.

Or maybe it will at some point be implemented that adventurers can visit populated fortresses, not only abandoned ones. As a result the interaction in between fortresses themselves could also be richer.

Still, it would probably still be better if fortresses from different worlds could be somehow imported into a single continent. Not something impossible, I guess, but probably not a high priority for Toady...

So yeah, real multiplayer is probably not going to happen. But I could imagine that something like the above could happen, especially if Toady puts together the necessary infrastructure anyway while fleshing out singleplayer (army arc, caravan arc (?), etc).

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

I just thought of something that would make Dwarf Fortress into an MMO without taking anything away from Dwarf Fortress at all. What if someone made a dwarf fortress MUSH (multi user shared hallucination) or MUD for the community.
It would allow all of us to play together, role play ect, but still let you play Dwarf Fortress single player to your hearts content since it would in no way shape or form replace it.
We could go with the mud and have combat ect but that to me woouldn't be nearly as much fun as a MUSH where we could roleplay. So many people want to play in comunnity forts and such it might give people a place to carry out these complex roleplays in real time. Do you think Toady would allow a fan to create a MUSH set in his world if they agreed to defer to him on anything to do with it and shut it down at his request if he changes his mind?

[ January 04, 2008: Message edited by: Serondal ]

"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

If anybody's serious about setting something like that up, I'd probably be very lenient in terms of using elements of the DF "world", since my ultimate goal is to make it all randomly generated, anyway, he he he.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

I think an ASCII based ATITD style game would be sweet. I'd pay a couple bucks a month on that.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

I used to enjoy coding these types of things a long time ago. I might look into start up something like this. I could just make it a dwarf fortress and people could join on and create migrant characters with a character generator. Then they would role play with other players as the admin's create situations (like sieges, mining parties, ect) as public events. Might be a cool way to draw new players into the community as well and I would put up a donate link to Toady so might also draw in extra funding to him :P I will certainly look into it, see how hard it will be to relearn coding for MUSH or MUX ect. If anyone else has a lot of experience in this lemme know if you're interested. One man can run one of these but it pretty hard to handle all alone. One good thing about Mush style games is every player can build their own stuff and request it be added into the game world. So if someone wanted to build their own home or a shop ect and then request me to add it into the game grid it would be very easily done. I would NEVER charge for it though, even if I hosted the server at my own expense I wouldn't think of charging.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Hey since every other person who knows basic programming and graphic design is making an MMO, let's go ahead and make games that have no reason to be one into it! Quick cash!

Or Koreans could do it, god knows those bastards are pumping out MMOs like China is Nike shoes.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Gulfd'An

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

servers cost a ton never forget that (well mabey not that much but still quite a bit) i think buying a server in a can (shiping crate full of computer parts that is a very good server that some company will ship staright to you) costs 1 mil or something but i don't really know

and yes i think a ascii mmo would be the most awsome thing ever (my dream is for one day [if he ever gets around to makeing the comercial version] adom to be played on a handheld game plat form with online capabilitys like the ds or psp but i have no way of afecting if this will hapen or not) so im thinking of learning C and makeing a computer game of my own my only problem being im a 3d modeler not a programer and if i wanted it to be ascii i couldn't have any 3d models other than mabey a rotateing symbol in the background of menus but then i could just use a 2d thing and make it look 3d and oh my wow i rambel on to much i almost filled a page (my guese) of notepad (if i was using notepad)

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

With what I'm talking about I could use my own computer as a server, no need to go crazy and buy a million dollar server O.o As long as I leave it on and running at all times I'm certain my computer could handle any traffic such a game would get. I might get 10-20 people max online at the same time durning peak hours, normally 5 - 10 people sitting there idle doing nothing at all.

Gulfd'An

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

but that would pretty much forfite any hope of doing anything that needs a lot of bandwith or procesor cause its being used by other things

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Btwilley:
<STRONG>I mean really who needs 900 mugs each year?</STRONG>

You've obviously never seen a dwarven bar brawl  ;)

(Note that the mugs are always empty; even in a brawl, they aren't going to waste alcohol!)

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 [2] 3