Is this poll terrible

yes
- 0 (0%)
totally
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 20, 2015, 08:45:24 pm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2) Preparing the reboot...  (Read 34188 times)

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
Re: Murderflood: resurrection (Ardentdikes IIIv2)
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2015, 05:37:38 pm »

I am really surprised to see that my dwarf is still alive. Sorry, I kind of lost track lately.

Now, since my life should get back to a semblance of order in September or so, I'd like to sign up for a turn, if you don't mind.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:15 am »

1st Hematite 106 - Early Summer.

Lately, I've been having a bout of disturbing dreams, though I can't seem to pinpoint what exactly unnerved me about them after I woke up from them. Can't really put it into words, but there is a growing sense of unease - a foreboding of sorts, like something looming on the horizon.

Frankly, I think its the excessive amounts of pepper roasts that are everywhere on the menu these days.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So... in order to keep my mind off these troubling thoughts, I've been resorting to keeping myself busy, picking up some skills in mechanics even. (Alas, fishing activities have been strictly prohibited as outlined in the scroll - on the secret list of overseer mandates. Otherwise, I would be making myself busy with procuring a good catch.) Lately, I've been personally installing the fail-safe mechanisms that will seal off the magma cistern in case of untoward circumstances beyond our control. Its also useful for maintenance of said cistern apparently.

As a result of all this work, I feel like the situation with my episodic nightmares have been much improved. Of late, my musings have been on more practical matters, and these concerns have steadily drawn my attention to the rich cache of resources we are sitting on, and how to make the best use of it.

The overall mood of the fortress is starting to lift, albeit slightly. Many of the dwarves I've been observing seem to be content with how things are going.

Though not everyone is in a cheery mood.

I feel like things are starting to look up now.

11th Hematite 106

It has been brought to my attention that Tirist Zokundodok, one of the children is behaving particularly rowdy lately. Better keep an eye on him to ensure nothing untoward happens.

13th Hematite 106

Tirist has claimed an abandoned Craftsdwarf Workshop beneath the surface. Strange, I've not been aware of the existence of these facilities - there simply isn't much traffic in these parts.

14th Hematite 106

The leopards that we've procured from the elves have given birth to a litter of leopard cubs. Hopefully, they won't have that Faulty Posterior Syndrome that the dogs and horses before them contracted.

17th Hematite 106

mayor Cattennakuth mayor has been re-elected mayor.
Spoiler: mayor (click to show/hide)

2nd Malachite 106

Tirist has begun working furiously on a mysterious construction!

6th Malachite 106

Tirist has created Idneth - Rockbalanced, an avocado wood amulet. Upon completion of the artifact, she immediately headed off to the Lone Cactus to throw a celebration party.

16th Malachite 106

Nothing exciting has happened. This is a good thing. Most of the fort is preoccupied with the daily rigors of existence - production, providing, rearing, honing, consumption, rest and a WHOLE LOT of hauling and construction.

We have been paving the outside of the fortress walls as per the instructions given in the scroll. Flooring on the southern outpost is close to completion.

I've redirected most of the labor to hauling all the rock from the magma cistern. We'll need it later on to floor over the rest of the fortress and to construct more floorspace, and the sooner we can gain access to the Earth's Blood, the one less thing I have to worry about.

In the meantime, I've been helping out by linking the mechanisms to the fail-safe device.

25th Malachite 106

The connection work has been completed. And now, to test out if my effort has all been for naught or if I did pick up some engineering skills.
Spoiler: the moment of truth (click to show/hide)

Success! Now to order the release of the Earth's Blood.

By Armok's grace, the miners have uncovered another cache of the coveted blue metal!

Excavation is almost complete. It won't be long now...

26th Malachite 106

Lord Deus Asmoth has mandated the construction of war hammers.

Deus must have perused through the stock records, urging me to hurry the hell up with the weapon production. *Sigh* I do hope he understands that these things take time. Especially when you have to reinforce some semblance of quality control. However, we are not far now from achieving our goal - only the blunt weaponry are left. I wish he'll quit harping on me already.

Yes m'lord. The walls have ears!

12th Galena 106

Excavation of the magma cistern is completed. The next step would be to flood the magma cistern RELEASE THE EARTH'S BLOOD.

Meanwhile, construction work begins on the paving of the outer rim of the fortress. I've been instructed that this will keep those icky creaky trees at a safe distance from our walls. HAH! TAKE THAT NATURE! LETS SEE YOU TRY CRASHING INTO THE WALLS NOW.

14th Galena 106

Zuglarkun II lets loose a fell laughter.
THE DEED IS DONE.

OK ok, calm down. calm down. We must not get ahead of ourselves, there is much work yet to be done before we can continue with the process of pumping the magma to the surface. These contraptions should help.

21st Galena 106

The training report by Urist McKiwi VI indicates that our military is getting well acquainted with the masterful weaponry that Flame has produced.

Through rigorous training and familiarity with the heft of the weapons, they have grown to appreciate the effort gone into producing these weaponry. Many of them are growing rather attached to the master craftsmanship.

Autumn has arrived on the calendar
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:28:03 am by Zuglarkun »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2015, 05:42:34 pm »

Of course we need hammers! Without them, how will I order the execution of the random innocents dangerous subversives that try to trade away those earrings I like undermine our thriving trade industry?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2015, 03:50:02 am »

Rush the magma. The nobility needs it's hot tub.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2015, 08:31:32 am »

Rush the magma. The nobility needs it's hot tub.

120 more pump stacks to construct...

By the way, where is the DAMN LEVER FOR FLOODING THE HOSPITAL? Some buffoon was climbing up the hospital ramps, opened the hatch, slipped and smashed a pot on both herself and her baby. Now the lass is lying in the hospital, inches away from the beds, while her crippled baby is crawling all over the first floor. However, due to some reason or another, no "rest" job is being generated. I enabled more diagnosticians some time later, after discovering we had only 3 in service. Still nothing. So i think i may have to re-injure the damn dwarf or at least move her with water to get her to generate a rest job.

EDIT:

Well, curses the self draining hospital does not work.

I built another lever to connect to the floodgate connecting the hospital interior to the river, and released the water from the river. Unfortunately, whomever built the assembly that powers the millstone, had the pump blocking the flow of the water to the hospital, so eventually it went down to a trickle. Well that was correctable, I had a miner go and dig around the pump to get at the river. Success! But, then I discovered the water flow does not reach the drains at the bottom left at all. Turns out the water is emptying out from the well near the center of the hospital.

/facepalm (the wonders of succession fortresses!)

You would need to either (1) increase the flow of water from the river (bigger pipeways) or (2) relocate the well. I had plans to connect the magma pump stack to the hospital as well, which will rule out (1) since the magma will flow down into the river below. Though, that might be a good thing, since it could possibly dam up the base of the waterfall below. Opinions?

Also, I'm making a separate plan to open up the magma cistern to other areas of the magma sea in case the magma does not regenerate as I had thought it would. This would be a Plan B. Plan C would be to relocate the cistern or expand it one more layer downwards. There is more magma flow directly below and I had designed the cistern in such a way that maintenance is possible. You just have to pump out the magma within it first. If the bloody thing does not fill to the brim by end of the overseers turn next year, then execute plan B in hopes that it will work. I'm nearing the end of the year and the magma is at 5-deep with streaks of 4. By my estimate, it should fill up by autumn of next year give or take. Just gauge if the magma levels have increased instead of spreading out cause its difficult for me to tell. Hopefully everything I've done this turn works out *crosses fingers* otherwise I would look really foolish digging out all that crap for nothing.

EDIT 2:
Also, Poor Unib will not work any jobs. She has fallen and can not get up. She will not be able to get another job until diagnosed, you can confirm that from her health screen. Unfortunately, since she heals quickly, the window of opportunity to get a diagnosis job was lost. Will have to cause another injury to snap her out of it. I suggest capturing gobbos or the like and releasing them in the hospital. Otherwise, we can welcome the new doormat to the hospital!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:56:03 am by Zuglarkun »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2015, 02:34:12 pm »

Flood gate lever is in the south west, two floors up. Left lever opens the flood gate, right lever re-powers the pump. I didn't realize there was a well in there, or I'd have moved it. Try putting it behind walls and a door. That should fix the problem.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

11th Limestone 106 - Early Autumn

The dwarven trade contingent has arrived from the mountain homes, along with Uzol Godthurkubuk the outpost liaison.
I mistook the liaison for one of the caravan guards, since he was decked from head to toe in a mix of various bronze and copper armors.
Spoiler: Uzol Godthurkubuk (click to show/hide)

Apparently the reason for this is that the route from Murderflood to the mountain homes is so filled with danger in recent times that it was considered best that the liaison was able to fend for himself, in order to reasonably increase the chances of survival out in the wilderness. No wonder the human merchants did not arrive last season. When i pursued the matter further, I only got a muffled reply from Uzol - something about were clowns...

13th Limestone 106

Uzol spoke with the mayor, mayor outside the Lone Cactus where the mayor's makeshift office is located.

From my understanding, Uzol has come with authority from the Queen herself - Urdim, to elevate our standing in her realm. We shall join our brethren as another standing symbol of dwarven fortitude and prosperity - a bastion of hope in these troubled lands.

From Uzol's accounts, It seems the danger abroad has disrupted the mountain homes information networks. Little news has arrived from the other settlements. We are one of the first that they've been able to contact thus far. Uzol believes this a temporary setback, but I am not so sure what to believe.

As for the fortress's needs - from my knowledge, we are short on cloth, (though that is being corrected now, but a little buffer sure won't hurt.) and leather. I will have to comb over the stocks later to see what else we are missing.

I put in a HUGE significant order for leather, cloth, various colored stone blocks, colored magma-safe stones (so useful for differentiating levers, at least from what I've picked up on thus far), metal ores, bolts, and cats. (Yes cats, we don't have a breeding pair unless you want to send someone to save Dastot under the waterfall)

Seems there is a shortage of crossbows, fish, cloth, plants, scepters and - pearl amulets back at the mountain homes. Wait just a damn moment, when did the mountain homes come across a supply of pearls? Has someone managed to torture the merpeople into giving up their fishy secrets of oyster harvesting?
Spoiler: The trade agrement (click to show/hide)

After an exchange of pleasantries, the outpost liaison bid us farewell, waddling off into the distance under the weight of the armor. I wonder why don't more trade liaisons adopt this armor wearing habit as standard practice?

15th Limestone 106

Usanlaluth Zirilminbazshashimush Angak - Murderflood the Firey Enchanted Hell-Dike of Terror and the surrounding lands have been made a duchy. News sure travels fast along these parts. Also unsurprisingly, mayor has been re-elected mayor. What with a name like that, I wouldn't be surprised if our mayor came from a long lineage of mayors.

I made an order for gold furnishings in order to sate the need for opulence our new duke would certainly come to expect from his newly appointed rank.

23rd Limestone 106

Under my orders, Ghills traded for sand to kick-start the screw pump production, a whole bunch of leather and some assorted food items. Sadly, we couldn't afford the large amounts of silk or cloth that the merchants brought at the behest of the previous trade agreement. But I expect that soon enough our cloth production will be getting into high gear, so we would not have such dire need for it anyway. These things tend to work themselves out. The merchants though seem disappointed that they have nothing to show for their efforts in procuring the vast amount of cloth and trudging through dangerous lands to bring them for sale on our doorstep. I corrected their mood with a sizable amount of profit, and a sample of our fine pepper roasts that made their eyes tear in joy. I promised them more of the same would await them if they would bring more leather next year. They nodded fervently, tears still in their eyes and tongues lolling about in what I can only assume was sheer bliss.

2nd Sandstone 106

Deus Asmoth has been laying on the pressure lately, mandating mail shirt production and then following it up immediately with warhammer production.

We're doing our best to sate his demands. But the never-ending tasks of fortress building just keep piling up on top of each other. While I had the time, I had a look over some of the art pieces that were scheduled to be delivered to his abode.

Yes, I would say our armor smith/ metal smith Oddom has some fine taste in art.

4th Sandstone 106

The troubled dreams have returned lately, perhaps its all this fancy business with the dukes new accommodations that has been getting me all antsy as of late. Can't get a good wink of sleep with all these things requiring my attention. Sometimes I even get the nagging sensation that I am being followed as I go about my business in the tunnels beneath fortress, setting the screw pumps in place for the magma pump stack. But of course every time I care to glance back behind me, there isn't anyone there. The newly appointed duke must really be anxious for his furniture to send someone to tail me, but wouldn't it be better to urge the metal smiths to hurry instead? Or perhaps, it was that hooded figure from before, but I would rather not think about it - that encounter was harrowing enough. If they are keeping a respectable distance, then perhaps they mean me no harm.

5th Sandstone 106

I was doing the usual routine of hauling the green glass screw pump parts to the magma pumpstack, when the air was rent by this horrible nerve wracking cacophony. I turned about, half expecting that dreaded hooded figure to be there, but there was nothing. Which in a way was worse, there was no telling from where or from what that dreadful cry came from. I could feel the tension thick in the air, and I wanted nothing more than to be out of those narrow winding tunnels and out and about in the bask of the yellow face above, as odd as that might be coming from a dwarf. But us dwarves are very much aware of the dangers lurking just out of sight in the dreary depths.

9th Sandstone 106

It was only later on that I heard report that the cry originated from a forgotten beast that announced its presence in our domain. Odd, I felt a tinge of relief though forgotten beasts are certainly no laughing matter. Many a fortress has fallen to these forgotten abominations - whether they were caught unawares or that they thought themselves well-prepared to handle these creatures. These towering forces of nature certainly should not be underestimated. On hindsight, ordering those tunnels sealed up back when I found the dead reacher corpse contaminating our tunnels was a stroke of good luck. Without that dead intruder befouling the tunnels, I would perhaps have overlooked the breaches in these shafts, and the situation today would have been much more dire. Yes, the Mountainous Earth still smiles upon us.

I've sent Rovod the military captain of the Gilded Arrows to keep track of the foul beasts movements and give me a report everyone once in awhile of its whereabouts. Her experience in tracking will prove to be of good use on this occasion. One can never be too sure about these things.

Meanwhile, upon hearing these latest reports, the merchants have announced their intention to leave. They are busily packing up their wares, and safe to say - want no share in our troubles.

13th Sandstone 106

I was informed that the merchants have hastily embarked upon their journey.

In the meantime, Rovod has returned with her first report on the description and whereabouts of the beast which she had named Leto.

It seems this Leto would certainly be categorized as a dangerous foe, though a little ridiculous looking gauging from Rovod's description. I expected a Sandworm Giant Earthworm, or some burning disembodied eye or even a huge grossly misshapen spider, but a turkey? (later on I learned it was part spider, to little comfort.) Still, I urged Rovod and her squad to take turns keeping track of this foul abomination. When I asked about the conditions of the caverns, the only reply I got was -

I was rather offended at first, but later found out from her other squad members that Rovod spoke as she did in consideration of my well-being.

To put it aptly, its a slaughterhouse down in the second cavern layer, a sight that would drive even the most hardened dwarf into sheer terror.
Spoiler: Leto is hunting (click to show/hide)

This foul creature had accrued its fair share of battle scars and much of the carnage found below can surely be attributed to this twisted monstrosity. I did not sleep well that night.

27th Sandstone 106

it seems she has taken over a craftsdwarf workshop and is sketching pictures of... things in the dirt...

"Armok damn it, if you want something can't you ask properly instead performing this dumb and mute crap?"

*FUMING*

6th Timber 106

Goden is working secretly on a mysterious construction...

More reports stream in from The Gilded Arrows, each one more grisly than the last.

10th Timber 106

Goden has created Kegethilid - Heldruler, a dog bone buckler.

I've been looking over the military these few days, the matter of the forgotten beast foremost in my mind. Inspection of the military has led me to believe that Iden of the Gilded Arrows might not be fit for service. I'm considering discharging him honorably from service, though he has had his fair share of glory and is experienced in battle, I'm afraid we can't afford a liability on the front lines.

I made certain arrangements in preparation for all out war in the near future. We needed to replenish our medical supplies in lieu of injuries that would certainly be sustained in the battles to come.

The latest reports from Rovod only reaffirmed the appropriateness of my decision.

Some of the other dwarves are of like mind as well.

Even the sparring sessions have ramped up in intensity, in anticipation of bloodshed.

On the other hand, the rest of the populace are decidedly less concerned with such trivialities, most of them going about their busy lives with nary a care for the battle looming in the horizon.

Everyone has their way of coping through tough times...

Though not everyone conceals their lingering fears well.

Spoiler: Atis sums it up (click to show/hide)
Indeed, nobody is truly free from the shackles of uncertainty and the feebleness of the spirit. We can only hope to endure.

26th Timber 106

After careful consideration, I have discharged Iden from the Gilded Arrows. I got a replacement for him from the Hunters in our midst.

There is another matter which I must speak of.

I've been on edge these few days.

I've made mention before of how I had this sensation of being followed, and I think finally my paranoia is getting the best of me. Just the other week, I was busy with work on the pump stack, hauling screw pump components and determining where each part went before the masons came in and set things in place. I was on this familiar routine deep in the tunnels below when I heard a faint pit-pattering of footsteps behind me. I stopped in my tracks and chanced a furtive glance behind, and thankfully there was no one there. (to my relief) So I continued onwards, but immediately those footsteps began to pick up again somewhere in the distance.

This incessant "pit pat pattering" and the dogged pursuit of an unseen assailant began to rake on my nerves. Hoping desperately to lose this annoying wretch, I picked up my pace, but the footsteps only grew ever more insistent. I tried waiting it out, spending ever more time in those dreaded tunnels, as I shuffled my feet and bided my time. True enough, the footsteps would stop when I stopped moving, though the nagging sensation I was being watched never did fade away. But every time I would grow steadily weary of all this, as my growing boredom, thirst or hunger would urge me to get moving. And as I dragged my legs and proceeded to go onwards, those footsteps would reappear every time and tail alongside me.

After an entire week of this cat and mouse game, I had finally had enough. I needed to stand my ground! I will not be made a fool of by some miserable sneak!

27th timber 106

As I began my long trek to the surface after completing yet another well designed screw pump, the by now familiar "pit pat" started up somewhere behind me again. Quickly, I rounded the corner and stopped in my tracks. The foot steps had ceased. I took in a deep breath and steeled myself, then I charged headlong into the tunnels behind me...

Winter has arrived on the calendar.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:49:31 pm by Zuglarkun »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2015, 09:59:01 am »

3rd Moonstone 106

"Strange, no one has seen a glimpse of Zuglarkun II lately. He asked nicely to have me tail Leto's whereabouts and bring him reports of new developments but here I am with a report in hand, and he is no where to be found! All this paperwork lying about everywhere unattended! I guess someone will have to tender these reports to the duke, not that there is much to report anyway. Ah well, here goes -" - Rovod

Report from Rovod:
Flame has finally completed all the orders for our new weaponry!
I'm really digging this shiny steel crossbow in particular; SO SHINY. I'm glad to announce that for his dedication and services, Flame has been conferred with the title, "Master Weaponsmith." Also, I'm glad to report that the dukes accommodation arrangements have been completed!

4th Moonstone 106

Report from Rovod:
My squad has found the unconscious body of Zuglarkun II in the mining tunnels. We revived him with a ice cold bucket of water. He seems badly shaken, but otherwise fine. All limbs and appendages intact. He is indisposed at the moment. He grabbed me by the shoulders and entrusted me with the responsibility of making these overseer reports in the interim, all the while muttering about having some matters to attend to. Hah! I get. To be. Overseer. Wait til the folks at home hear about this!

14th Moonstone 106

Report from Rovod:
I've received news of an Urdim suffered a bad fall on a ramp at the hospital while fetching an earthernware pot for booze brewing. The pot slipped from her grasp as she fell backwards, and hit her in the ribs, shattering them. Yeowch! More distressing was poor baby Olon, whom Urdim had been carrying at the time of the accident. Her left lower leg is utterly crushed and mangled beyond recognition. Eek!

28th Moonstone 106

Report from Rovod:
No one has attended to Urdim yet. Bloody slackers! She is still lying at the bottom of the ramp in the hospital, though it seems others have attended to her food and water needs in the meantime. She seems to be taking things fine and everything, its as though her rotund body is preventing her from turning over the right way - like a turtle laying on the back of its shell or something. She seems perfectly fine upon inspection, nothing injured at all, though she seems to be expecting someone to come around to have a look over her condition. Very peculiar.

Just in case, I've ordered the hatches removed and staircases to be installed to prevent further shenanigans on that front. Safety first!

After asking around all day, I found out that only 3 diagnosticians were employed in our fortress. 3!! I never knew our healthcare conditions were so bad! What if I get injured? Speaking of things in bad condition, the state of law and order around here is horrendous! Why look at that! We don't even have any cages or chains set up for the use of detaining criminals nor anyone to administer a healthy dose of dwarven justice!

I've implored Urist McDuck to increase the amount of healthcare professionals by a fair bit. Also Olon, whom had been a crippled baby recently, is now a crippled child.
Congratulations Olon on your 1st birthday! Hope you like your broken leg! *Just joking* Hopefully now that she is of age, she will be able to get some medical attention. Don't you know that toddlers aren't covered by dwarven medical services? Later in the day, Bembul finally arrives to carry Olon off to the hospital. Good Dwarf!

2nd Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
I have decided to stay over at the hospital for the time-being to see that Olon gets tended to. Bomrek the miner comes in (stepping over Urdim) to make a diagnosis on Olon, whom is recuperating in bed.

3rd Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
Edem arrives to clean the patient. Shorast comes in shortly after to make a second diagnosis.
The poor lass is getting restless, yeah a young'un like that needs to be up and about at her age. Unfortunately, she will have to wait for all these complicated medical procedures to get over and done with.

6th Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
Zefon arrives to suture the wound, it seems yet another diagnosis is required. They must all be "medical specialists" to split up the duties like so.

7th Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
Surprise surprise, Shorast arrives for yet another diagnosis. Maybe he is the family doctor or something.
Melbil arrives to set the bones in place, meanwhile Deus Asmoth arrives for a personal visit to give water to Olon. Oh how nice of the duke!

8th Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
Zefon arrives to dress the wound. Sponge makes yet another diagnosis. I know hospitals are inefficient and all, but this is getting ridiculous.

10th Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
Domas arrives to immobilize the break, and... why am i not surprised, Shorast comes in yet again for another diagnosis. Domas arrives after that with a crutch and soon after Olon is discharged, though the same can't be said for her mother, whom has not only fallen and can't get up, but has a bad but of insomnia.
Spoiler: Another diagnosis?? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Olon is discharged (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Urdim... Insomnia (click to show/hide)

12th Opal 106

Report from Rovod:
I checked in on Zuglarkun II, he had been poring over this tattered tome day and night after sealing himself up in one of the rooms on the second level of the fort. But now he seems to have collected his wits, with a rather grim and determined look on his face might I add. He still seems quite pallid but is able to resume duties shortly I think. I think I've had my fill of being overseer and will return him to his rightful position. Its been fun bossing people around, but I've been missing out dearly on my training. Now I'll leave him to it once I leave this report on Leto on his desk.

-----------------------------------END OF ROVOD'S REPORT------------------------------------------

13th Opal 106

I've resumed my duties as overseer of the fortress. I had been looking over the reports that Rovod has been sending in, but it is all irrelevant to me. These things mattered little ever since that horrible encounter in the depths, and I've never been quite the same after. I've been poring through the contents of the tome that I pried from Iton Oboknin's remains, and I have discovered a great many secrets surrounding the lands of Murderflood. I only pray none of these horrible secrets will turn their gaze towards Murderflood. A heavy burden lies upon me, but at least now I am resolved to see things through, starting with getting rid of this tome, no one else needs to subject themselves to this madness. Rovod has also reported more disturbances coming from Leto. Perhaps that is a sign that there is worse to come?

14th Opal 106
I do not wish to relate my encounter in the depths, but nonetheless some sort of record must be attempted in case anything untoward were to happen to me. That possibility is growing ever more likely now that I've made further progress into the unfathomable mysteries after poring over that forbidden tome of secrets, and so I must set this down should anyone stumble upon these secrets as I have.

I... I was accosted by the foul deceased spirit of Iton Oboknin that fateful day in the passageways deep below. I know it was the wereloris because I had set my eyes on that terrible visage before. I had seen its dead countenance before in the refuse stockpiles at the western keep. I remember that I was readjusting the refuse stockpiles that day when I noticed a tome had slipped out from the tattered remains of Iton Oboknin's corpse. Now, I wasn't one to pillage from the dead, but there was this strange allure to it that I couldn't keep my eyes away from. I ended up stowing it away with me, though I nary gave it a look all those weeks after. Little did I know the trouble it would bring in the coming days.

I came face to face with the other realm that day in the passages below, and I would never forget the way that foul entity looked. Those giant wells of emptiness that you would call eyes, the stubby index finger that he used to accuse me of stealing his possessions on those grimy 5 fingered claws of his. Worse of all, was the gibbering laughter it made! that horrible noise will haunt my dreams until the end of my days.
Spoiler: the horror! (click to show/hide)

It had wanted the tome returned to it, but though I was horrified, I was loathe to acquiesce to its demands. Not after seeing how dwarven might was able to overcome wretches of his ilk. After all, there must be something valuable recorded in there for it to want it back so badly. I wrested with the fiend but fell prey to its cold steely grasp, fortunately I was able to retain possession of the tome and help came by soon afterwards, driving it away.

And so here I am now, with a decision to make.

15th Opal 106

I HAD attempted to burn the wretched tome last night, but I managed to save a few pages from the fire. I thought it would be better to have some shred of evidence to fall back on should things go bad. But it is too dangerous to leave it lying about, I need to store it in some secret place that only I would know about.

20th Opal 106

Now that that wretched secret is safely stored, I can go back to the banality of everyday life.

After some consideration, I have relocated the well. In the event that the security of the hospital should be compromised in some way, we should still retain access to a well.
I've decommissioned the old well, and a crew should be coming to deconstruct it and floor it over anytime now. With Urist McKiwi VI's help, preparations for war are proceeding at a good pace. Even the children seem enthused by the notion of it.

23rd Opal 106

I've also neglected to mention that I've moved the refuse stockpile useable materials - bones, skulls and the like to a holding area underground. The animals and cage holding area is located at the same level.

4th Obsidian 106

All is well it seems, most of the folk here are enjoying the tenuous peace. Little do they know of the horrors lurking below.

15th Obsidian 106
I've received word that Mestthos was possessed by unknown forces! Foul spirits begone! we do not need your ilk here!

We badly need personal quarters for the dwarves. We've been producing more clothing at the behest of the mayor, as most of our clothes are in a bad shape. So far, the clothing problem is being alleviated one article of clothing at a time, though 200 over dwarves is a long list to go through and some are already experiencing the ill effects of being impoverished on the clothing front.

However, everyone that had a new issue of clothes has taken to throwing their old tattered ones all over the place. Clothes are strewn all over the place, it is an unsightly mess.

17th Obsidian 106

Mestthos has claimed a craftsdwarf workshop, muttering away.

28th Obsidian 106

I wish to retire this position of overseer to some more deserving fellow. It is a dreary task to run a fortress of this magnitude. I have made the necessary arrangements, and other than expanding on the floorspace, I've fulfilled my end of the bargain on all the items listed in the overseer's scroll of mandates. There are still things I need to find out to confirm my suspicions on the matter of the secrets I found in that tome. I hope the next overseer will be up to task after I have cleaned up this mess of a place.

You must not refuse the kindness of strangers after all.

Spring has arrived on the Calendar.

----------

Meh, wasn't particularly satisfied with the write-up, but there is something peculiar about the fortress.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:03:48 pm by Zuglarkun »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2015, 08:39:53 pm »

Here are the levers to for the flood gate in the hospital and to re-engage the pump. FG on the left, pump on the right. I'm almost certain I marked them with (N)otes.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2015, 10:57:21 pm »

Here are the levers to for the flood gate in the hospital and to re-engage the pump. FG on the left, pump on the right. I'm almost certain I marked them with (N)otes.

Oh yeah, I neglected to mention that I discovered those later on. I was confused because your previous post said SW when the levers were found in the SE. Yeah, anyway I added a note for the lever on the right, as a note was absent there. I ended up not making any changes to the hospital besides relocating the well one level up.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »

Ah, now that I realize it, the note I made was in that part you took over. And I always confuse east and west in DF. No idea why.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2015, 04:33:04 am »

So our hospital creates hypochondriacs who won't move until the doctor sees them, and our doctors aren't having it. Thus it is in fact *reducing* the health of our dwarves by starving them to death on the floor.

Eh, better than Moltenchannels at least.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2015, 02:46:42 pm »

Finally I have finished!

FPS should be somewhat more reasonable now, hovering around 15-20 and sometimes 30+.
There is still some flooring to be done at the southern end of the main fort. The western fort is not floored over yet, while the southern outpost is secure from the threat of trees. I highly recommend pausing when close to the end of the season (or whenever it is you autosave) and scanning for and removing tree growth around and inside the surface fortress to prevent save crashes. As long as trees don't touch the walls, you should be fine.

Oh and a few more things for the next in line...
- trade for gypsum powder if you are able, we have none.
- I made a note nearby the Trade Depot wall on what we have available for trade. To reiterate, trade goods wise we have prepared meals and the obsidian swords that we won't be needing, should trade away the bows and arrows as well as the wooden weapons, why use those elf implements? Swords, bows and arrows are already at the depot look in the weapon bins if you can't find them.
- i used most of the wood logs for the flooring near the turbine hall. So traders probably won't bring any wood.
- I cordoned off a rather large area to the east of the tombs, designated to be multi level royal tombs for the queen and her entourage, if you need more stone, you're welcome to try digging it out, though you'll have to channel it layer by layer from the top. Kind of tricky.

Save is up: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10993
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:06:56 pm by Zuglarkun »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2015, 01:50:57 pm »

Excellent turn, Zuglarkun! I'm certain that the few dwarves who no longer have to sleep on a hot, sandy patch of soil are grateful for your term as overseer. The unlikely-named jwoodward48df is next, and has been PM'ed, altho he hasn't been seen around recently I think. If he doesn't respond shortly, FearfulJesuit is next in line, and has also been Pm'ed to let him know of the situation.

Edit: Indexing continues. The 4th year by Urist McKiwi has been correctly linked, and some noteworthy quotes added to the OP. You may have noticed that we have like 9 parts for each turns, maybe let,s try to keep that down a bit and edit our posts.

Edit 2.0: FearfulJesuit responded, and should be available to play either next turn or should jwoodward48df (can we just call him Woodward?) be unavailable. This thread is almost sort of moving foward. Maybe.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:24:37 pm by Taupe »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2015, 08:46:14 pm »

Edit: Indexing continues. The 4th year by Urist McKiwi has been correctly linked, and some noteworthy quotes added to the OP. You may have noticed that we have like 9 parts for each turns, maybe let,s try to keep that down a bit and edit our posts.

Never! This is nothing next to Moltenchannels! :P

But yeah, this was a cool turn. More paving is always nice.

EDIT: I'm surprised you didn't go for the "I have no idea" lever labels. :P
EDIT2: And 'killing moltenchannels' was quite a serious engineering project for a beginner. That self-destruct system was really badly damaged.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:54:29 pm by Urist McKiwi »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22