Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23262 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:27 pm »

OK, so that clears you, but what about Tack?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2015, 09:26:39 pm »

Fair enough. I also agree that boys, especially in a boarding school environment, can be sexual frustrated and deprived. To present them, and indeed ALL men as monsters is just not fair though. That said, curfews are hardly the answer.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:35 pm »

God, no, they aren't. Jesus, that was supposed to be a joke! See, he said "at the end of the day", which idiomatically means "As the inevitable conclusion", but literally means "at sundown". And since that's a particular time of day, a curfew would be the way to solve the problem. It's a form of humor based on equivocation.

My jokes are bad, and I should feel bad!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2015, 09:31:36 pm »

God, no, they aren't. Jesus, that was supposed to be a joke! See, he said "at the end of the day", which idiomatically means "As the inevitable conclusion", but literally means "at sundown". And since that's a particular time of day, a curfew would be the way to solve the problem. It's a form of humor based on equivocation.

Yes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2015, 09:33:41 pm »

Yeah, I need to be a little less subtle sometimes. Lesson learned!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2015, 09:35:19 pm »

I probably would have phrased it as "If they're all predators at the end of the day, we ought to implement a curfew!", which makes the (rather obscure) joke a little more obvious, but I digress.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2015, 09:38:46 pm »

Hah, Bauglir? More like BOGGLER. Get it, because HIS jokes are bad?

aaaaaaah.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2015, 09:40:55 pm »

aaaaaaah.
I read that as BOOGER and thought we were devolving. I wasn't wrong.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2015, 09:44:01 pm »

aaaaaaah.
I read that as BOOGER and thought we were devolving. I wasn't wrong.

Ah yes, society. The ironic part is how I insinuated inflammatory posts like Tack's derailed threads, but, plot twist, it's actually me. Mwahaha!

To keep this in the right direction though:

-Men: generally not sexual predators.

-Transpeople: should be allowed to go to whichever bathroom whose gender they identify with.

-Society: Worthless and outmoded, should be burned.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2015, 09:48:23 pm »

Urist, if you're mad that I was joking in the first place, keep in mind that the point of the joke whose mechanics I've outlined wasn't just to be funny, or to trivialize a bullshit stereotype, it was to underscore how ludicrous Tack's statement was by implying that the obvious misinterpretation was still more reasonable than what he actually meant. I'm not entirely clear where the conversation is, at this point, so I apologize if I'm just beating a dead horse.

EDIT: And I also apologize for being a jackass otherwise, so one way or the other I have clearly made a mistake.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:50:00 pm by Bauglir »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2015, 09:52:32 pm »

Urist, if you're mad that I was joking in the first place, keep in mind that the point of the joke whose mechanics I've outlined wasn't just to be funny, or to trivialize a bullshit stereotype, it was to underscore how ludicrous Tack's statement was by implying that the obvious misinterpretation was still more reasonable than what he actually meant. I'm not entirely clear where the conversation is, at this point, so I apologize if I'm just beating a dead horse.

EDIT: And I also apologize for being a jackass otherwise, so one way or the other I have clearly made a mistake.

Nope, you did a good job. TOO good a job actually. That's all. No anger here friend.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2015, 09:57:38 pm »

Ah, phew, sorry. So, yeah, then I'm largely in agreement with 2 out of 3 of your points (I think society's got some nifty things about it, it just needs to get its shit together and quit being dicks to people for no damn reason).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 15, 2015, 10:18:41 pm »

'Twas a funny joke though.

On to defending my unpopular views to Scoop;
Trans people are predators.
In terms of evolution, men are actually the predators.
Quote from: Define: Predator
1. An animal that naturally preys on others.
2. Person who ruthlessly exploits others.

When you listen to the average trans person talking about their bathroom-related fears, have you not noticed that it's the Boys bathrooms which are the ones involving violence?
Congratulations to you if you've risen above it, most men have. But women have nothing to rise above (In That Particular Way).
I'm an equal opportunity sexist. Both sides of the coin are quite tarnished, possibly not even evenly tarnished. Why should nature care about PC? So i say it like it is:
Men have a genetic predilection towards violent aggression, Women are stereotypically more 'cruel', and so on the list of blanket sterotypes go. They're there because a significant portion - Maybe not a majority, but easily enough to be noticeable - shows those specific traits. Or because companies and advertising.
You're a new-age man with softness and love in your heart? Awesome stuff, I'm glad for you. I wonder if you were bullied in school by predators.

I said 'Predator'. You said 'Monster'.
Quote from: Define: Monster
1. A large, ugly, and frightening imaginary creature.
2. An inhumanly cruel or wicked person.
I personally don't like the assertion that all men are monsters.

As a race and as a gender, I personally prefer to laud our virtues, but I won't hide our vices. Men are predators. But we are also protectors. So that's nice.

For a disclaimer on my obviously skewed views, I was raised in Boarding School, and learned a lot intrinsically about Lord-of-the-Flies style pack culture. I also have mentioned before on the forums here that my sex-ed from 8-11 was 'MEN ARE INTRINSICALLY EVIL, DO NOT RAPE WOMEN', and my sex-ed in grade 12 was 'IF YOU ARE NOT EVIL, HERE IS HOW TO DEFEND YOURSELF FROM RAPE CLAIMS'.
They did a whole new take on 'Abstinence teaching'. Instead of 'If you have sex, you'll go to hell', it was 'If you have sex, you will be arrested and sent to prison.'
Sex is a two-person act and they took great pains to hammer in that if you were a man you would have literally zero credibility to any judge or jury.
It took me many, many years before I'd actually have sex without 1. Ensuring both parties were sober. 2. Asking explicitly if they were sure and ready that they wanted to engage in sexual conduct.

Now, I believe this particular philosophical train of thought could cause some wildfires, so perhaps in PM?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:08 pm »

Sir. I was in fact bullied. I shall have you know that the people who I remember who hurt me the most were women, although a number of men did as well. I will not make it seem more than it is, I was never bullied intensely, and besides a low-grade paranoia that most people did not like me, I was rather a normal child.

Indeed, I said monster and in this situation predator and monster are one and the same. For only a large, ugly, and cruel creature would prey upon others just because they are unlike themselves. Unfortunately, the reality of it is that they are very much less than imaginary. I know a lot of men, and lot of women, and even the ones who bullied me, I would not call them predators. Monsters, perhaps, but we're all monsters at some point or another, so what are they really? Just people. There are true monsters out there, who hide in the forms of men and women, and they are terrible indeed. So, when you tell me men are predators, I am very naturally angry within the context of our discussion. Because, most people, as far as I can tell, are more than okay with transpeople.

So again, when you say men are predators, and that it's the boys bathroom that experiences problems with transgendered people I believe you, but I also want to point out that it's an extremely low percentage of men who act this way. Not to mention, that men are raped by women with enough consistency to make the news occasionally, men are just less-likely to report it due to societal standards. For, I assume that by problems you mean rape. You may also mean discrimination, and honestly that is part of being a child, and once again the standards you are taught.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:53 pm »

Actually those statistics you're talking about usual involve them being raped by other men.

I think the major difference is our respective definitions of predator and monster. I believe that to term a human a monster, you must believe them incorrigible, inhuman and unrepentant. Serial-crimes are perpetuated by monsters.
When I think 'predator', I think 'wolf', and wolves are awesome- just not a good thing for modern society. In a similar sense, human predators with the 'alpha male' mindset and pack mentality had their place, but they don't anymore. In that way there's still some useful places for those old-world souls, but they're few and niche.

If we were ever thrown in a Lord of the Flies type situation, I would be thankful for (albeit wary of) those same predators. I would not want to be stuck with a monster.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20