Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23287 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 05:31:28 pm »

is there a reason they cant just use whichever bathroom corresponds with their pluming as it were?

In addition to the social consequences, sometimes there are legal ones. Florida, Texas, and Kentucky are all considering bills right now that would require transgender people to use only the bathroom of their biological sex.

Texas even wants a bounty for trans people using their bathroom. I can already see all the horrible episodes of Dog in the future.

There have been some fairly amusing responses
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 05:35:33 pm »

Sort of... if that picture wasn't wrong on so many levels. (Namely: "Do I look" part... There is no acceptable look you should have to qualify for)

Though kudos for the irony of they aren't going to cause you harm while making the best "I am going to kill you face" physically possible.

But that is more that they were trying way too hard to make this person be contradictory to the women's bathroom...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:39:41 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:15 pm »

Idea! How about a DNA analyzer that you have to stick your finger into (though a method that doesn't need to prick your finger would be optimal, for the obvious sanitary reasons), that way it sees what your chromosomes are and opens the correct bathroom!

Disclaimer: Is not even being serious here.

Seriously though, fucking republicans........

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:50 pm »

Lots of good stuff.  :)
Fair enough. Still, I think I'm generally pretty not bothered by this question mainly because...
Is this something Americans care more about than Europeans, or does the same attitude exist in both places? I don't really see how anyone knows what your sexual identity is when you're using a stall, nor why it should matter other than people's perception of impropriety.
This.
Dunno, might be just my area or from my (lack of) experience, but I do think here in Europe, at least in some parts, we have a much more relaxed approach to this stuff. Or at least we don't really care enough to do things like what I'm reading some people do in US-A.

Come on you lot, get your shitz together. Trying to fine somebody for not using the "right" bathroom? Cray cray, yo.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 05:41:14 pm »

Come on you lot, get your shitz together. Trying to fine somebody for not using the "right" bathroom? Cray cray, yo

You can also get on a sex offender's list (but everyone knows the Sex Offender's list is total BS anyway) which will make your life a living hell.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 05:44:10 pm »

The nastiest part of the bill is, to quote the article: "The legislation does not define how a student's "biological sex" would be determined or verified." The schools would therefore have two alternatives: make the students wear a badge while going to the bathroom, or subject them to an "examination." I know which one is worse, but neither of them should ever happen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 05:46:14 pm »

The nastiest part of the bill is, to quote the article: "The legislation does not define how a student's "biological sex" would be determined or verified." The schools would therefore have two alternatives: make the students wear a badge while going to the bathroom, or subject them to an "examination." I know which one is worse, but neither of them should ever happen.

Well no that isn't true.

The US legislation basically all but says that someone can refuse an examination and nothing outside a warrant can force someone to provide such.

Also just have a student ID... lets not add more crazy to the bill then it already has.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 05:47:33 pm »

Well no that isn't true.

The US legislation basically all but says that someone can refuse an examination and nothing outside a warrant can force someone to provide such.

Also just have a student ID... lets not add more crazy to the bill then it already has.

The badge thing has echos of Nazis and the Jews, know what I mean.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 05:48:17 pm »

Well no that isn't true.

No, closer to Australia and their treatment of the Native Australians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 05:50:28 pm »

Well no that isn't true.

No, closer to Australia and their treatment of the Native Australians.

I'm not aware of Australia making the Native Australians wear some badge saying 'Native Australian' on it or somesuch at some point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

Then you really need to start reading up on Australia because it was pretty dang terrible at one point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 05:54:19 pm »

I was referring specifically to the Nazis making Jews wear a Star of David armband. Point is that making a minority subgroup of a population (transgender in this case) have to wear a badge just to go to the bathroom is going nowhere good.

EDIT: I just realized something, wouldn't laws like those in Texas, Florida, and Kansas violate the federal (and perhaps state) anti-discrimination laws? Because I can see a collision between those happening.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:58:27 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 06:00:28 pm »

I was referring specifically to the Nazis making Jews wear a Star of David armband. Point is that making a minority subgroup of a population (transgender in this case) have to wear a badge just to go to the bathroom is going nowhere good.

Well the Handicapped need to carry proof that they are indeed handicapped.

That is the co-relation I would draw upon. Though it is mostly because the handicapped get special privileges rather than they need ID just to use basic ones everyone else have.

Still this issue won't resolve itself anytime soon.

Since it relies on what you consider someone's sex to be and whether or not bathrooms are gender or sex specific.

Which for a conservative state, a bible belt state, and one with a significant old population... it doesn't look good.

I do wonder how you could resolve it though.

EDIT: I just realized something, wouldn't laws like those in Texas, Florida, and Kansas violate the federal (and perhaps state) anti-discrimination laws? Because I can see a collision between those happening.

It definitely could be challenged on those lines.

Most likely the defense that it isn't "discrimination" is that TECHNICALLY everyone falls under that law. Even as a male you have to be able to prove you are indeed a man.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:05:04 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 06:04:14 pm »

The fact that handicapped people need to carry proof that they are handicapped is not even the same thing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 06:05:14 pm »

I do wonder how you could resolve it though.

I have an idea, how about a transgender bathroom?   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20