Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: RTD: American Politics Edition- NP: 1948  (Read 6412 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
RTD: American Politics Edition- NP: 1948
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:13:07 pm »

1948 Deadline: 1:00 AM GMT, Sunday, March 15, 2015.

A brief conversation in the American Politics thread over in GD has brought me to the conclusion that trying to simulate American elections using an RTD game could be a lot of fun.

We're going to start the game in 1948, with Truman vs. Dewey vs. Thurmond. Initially, I'll try and keep us within the bounds of actual history, but because of the butterfly effect and player input, we'll gradually get further and further away from it, and I'll have to do more storytelling. White House and Senate elections will both be simulated. I'll have to come up with another system for the House, though.

Here's how the presidential elections, at least, are going to work. Let's suppose we're still close enough to actual history that we can use a real election as a baseline- say, 1960. You can cast a vote for Kennedy or Nixon. You vote Nixon.

Back in my secret spreadsheet, I'll have randomly assigned you a state. (If we have less than fifty players, which is probable, I'll use the players' vote margins to weight randomly selected votes from invisible players for other states. Let's suppose, for example, that there were only twenty people who casted votes, but 12 voted Kennedy and 8 voted Nixon. This means that I'll use a weighted random number generator to cast "votes" for the other thirty states, where each "invisible" player had a 60% chance of casting a Kennedy vote and a 40% chance of casting a Nixon vote.)

Now that we have player votes, or simulated player votes, for all fifty states, I'll use the roll to dodge system with a six-sided die to create elections that deviate from the baseline. This works as follows:

Roll a 1: Your campaign backfired spectacularly. An extra 2% of voters voted for your opponent.
Roll a 2: Nothing happens; historical margins are used.
Roll a 3: Partial success. 1% of voters switch to your candidate.
Roll a 4: Success. 2% of voters switch to your candidate.
Roll a 5: Outstanding success. 4% of voters switch to your candidate.
Roll a 6: Backfiring success...7% of voters switch to your candidate, but there is an additional 10% probability that voter fraud is uncovered and the ballots are thrown out. (I know it never happens in real life that a state's ballots get thrown out this way, but it makes for a better game.)

If an incumbent president rolls 6's for himself in more than a quarter of states, Watergate happens.

I have a midterm right now. When I get back, I'll outline additional procedures for the House and Senate, and how I'm going to do voting margins for imaginary match-ups later in the game, like, say, Rockefeller vs. Wallace, or an incumbent Reagan in 1980.

You can start signing up now by posting below. The deadline for the 1948 election is going to be on Saturday night or Sunday morning, depending on where you live. You can vote Thurmond, Dewey or Truman. If you vote Thurmond, indicate a second choice (he wasn't on the ballot in all states.)

Don't worry about Congress just yet. I haven't figured out what to do with it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:26:14 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: American Politics Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »

I'll vote for Thurmond first, Dewey second.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:19:48 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to work Congress. The real problem with Congress is that it's very common to vote party A for your congresscritters, but party B for the White House. This was the standard pattern in the South from 1960 to the mid-1990s: send conservative Democrats to Capitol Hill, but vote for the Republican at the presidential level.

So the popularity of the president has some influence on what happens to Congress, but I can't derive the swing in Congressional elections from the margin of victory in the White House. This will take some thought, and proposals are welcome.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:58 pm »

I'll vote for Dewey first, Thurmond second. Let's make a world where 'DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN' is accurate. Or at least is the opposite.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to work Congress.
That's ok, so is Obama.

HEY-O!  :P

I'll vote Truman. Korea needs bombs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: American Politics Edition- NP: 1948
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »

Stepping in to make a quick rule note before I go back to agonizing over Congress: the Electoral College is unamendable. It's what makes American election-watching so fun and I'm not going to get rid of it.

However, I will introduce margin penalties to presidents who won the electoral college but didn't win the popular vote, which will make it harder for them to win re-election.

Also, Truman will be technically be able to run for a third term in 1952 if he wins this round.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:02:12 pm »

Actually, can I change my vote to FDR's corpse?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 03:13:32 pm »

Actually, can I change my vote to FDR's corpse?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For Shame, Theodore Roosevelt's would do much Better!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »

Well, it's been like forever since I've been in an RTD, so, I guess I could start again now, lol.

I'll go Dewey and Thurmond.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 03:54:27 pm »

Any chance I can vote for the jackalope? If not I'll go with Truman...

Also does the d6 change what our voting results are or is it some kind of after-the-fact book-cooking for the final results?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 04:26:18 pm »

Any chance I can vote for the jackalope? If not I'll go with Truman...

Also does the d6 change what our voting results are or is it some kind of after-the-fact book-cooking for the final results?

It's after-the-fact book-cooking. Rolling a 1 actually sets you back. Rolling a 2 means no change happened from the historical pattern. Rolling a 3 is a 1% addition to your candidate. Rolling a 4 is a 2% addition. Rolling a 5 is a 4% addition.

Rolling a 6 is a 7% addition, but with a danger: there's an additional one-in-ten chance that massive voter fraud will be uncovered and the state's ballots invalidated. (This doesn't actually happen in real life, but it's a fun game mechanic.)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 08:40:04 pm »

I'll vote Truman. Korea needs bombs.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 08:45:51 pm »

Voting Truman as well.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 08:51:12 pm »

You know what would make a good alternate action? Smear campaigns. This causes pretty much the opposite effect of regular voting; it makes your candidate's voters go to another candidate. 1s and 6s cause blowback (Or the potential for blowback) and mean your own candidate's voters go to another candidate.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 09:28:12 pm »

You know what would make a good alternate action? Smear campaigns. This causes pretty much the opposite effect of regular voting; it makes your candidate's voters go to another candidate. 1s and 6s cause blowback (Or the potential for blowback) and mean your own candidate's voters go to another candidate.
As a person who has not done extensive study on politics in America, I'm not sure how common smear campaigns were in the past. Though they are common now (or at least they were the go-to for the last presidential election) I think they used to try to get you to vote for someone rather than stop you from voting for someone else...
Pages: [1] 2 3