Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167352 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1125 on: November 25, 2016, 12:18:21 am »

>Choose Symetra
>mash E key a whole bunch
>"Everyone is shielded!"
>GOTTA GO FAST to the first point
>slap down 3 turrets in a room
>wait a bit
>slap down 2 turrets in that room
>Match starts
>Barnacle turrets zap a few dudes
>you spend the next minute spamming energy balls down a corridor at an enemy reinhardt
>Wild Winston appears and looks at your barnacles.  They die
>But hey you have ultimate
>Slap it down in a corner somewhere
>While you were building a teleporter, Genji was studying the blade
>Tele gets like 2 uses before katana folded 1000 times cuts through it
>At this point you probably got wombo comboed by any number of ultimates and died
>first point gets lost
>In like three of the maps second point is like 10 yards from defense's spawn
>what a teleport that will be
>"Fuck it"
>DapperApples has switched to Zenyatta (was Symetra)

eh good riddance to that, she really needed some sort of change
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1126 on: November 25, 2016, 08:53:08 am »

>using meme arrows

:l

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 25, 2016, 09:34:04 am »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 25, 2016, 10:10:55 am »

I find it funny that people are complaining about Symmetra apparently being OP now. I feel like she's still more or less the same so long as you aren't stupid. I mean, in PTR one has a tendency to get melted by Symmetra but honestly she was always able to do that, it's just that back then you were too busy babysitting your shitty teleporter.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 25, 2016, 11:12:13 pm »

Played Reinhardt on Numbani Attack. Got gold for eliminations... with eleven. Got gold for damage dealt... with ~9k. Got gold for objective time and objective kills. Got a card for >20k damage blocked.

We lost. Terribly. Because the rest of my team was: That One Offense Widow That Constantly Dies But Refuses to Swap, Offense Sniper Bastion That Kills the Junkrat When He's Behind Your Shield after swapping from McCree Who Can't Land M1 Shots And Doesn't Know What E Does, Ana That Only Shoots Enemies And Ults You When You're CCed, OMG I Just Updated and Sombra Is So Cool I Want To Play Her Every Match, and a Winston that at least tried to help load some of the team onto his back. Props to you, friend. o7

That was far from the worst match of the night. Fuck it, going back to Saltfield 1.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 25, 2016, 11:42:34 pm »

Well look, some people are bad at videogames, and who are we to judge them? It's not like they chose to have the horrible strategic sense to never ever play something that's not a sniper, that's just how they are. :P

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 26, 2016, 12:24:31 am »

Eh, I've been playing some competitive, sparsely. Sometimes I'll get teams of people playing totally meta, legitimately non-underpowered hero's in their correct roles... and we still lose hilariously, mostly just due to them being pretty damn bad at actually killing anything, having almost zero self-preservation sense, map-awareness, basic FPS skillset.

Unfortunately Overwatch does replicate one of the things I hated most in League of Legends, there are characters that can completely exploit your teams weak links, so carrying becomes real damn hard when your team has those weak links.

Genji is just the Katarina of Overwatch.  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 26, 2016, 01:04:23 am »

But Genji at least requires a modicum of skill and thought. You can't wipe a team while literally facerolling.

Well look, some people are bad at videogames, and who are we to judge them? It's not like they chose to have the horrible strategic sense to never ever play something that's not a sniper, that's just how they are. :P
I don't mind people who try but still suck. I don't mind people who screw around but still at least carry their own weight. People who make shit picks, do nothing, and refuse to swap? They're like Battlefield players who spawn as Recon, run off to the edge of the map, and waste ammo while not getting kills until they get countersniped or bombed. Even if you suck and barely do anything you can at least PTFO and be a target to take heat off of other people. You can pick Lucio, swap to healing, and just try to stay alive and sit on the objective long enough to hit Q in a fight.

In objective-based team games that's what matters most: PTFO every time all the time. Even if you're literally the worst player, PTFO. If you PTFO you're easier to carry by far. When I'm playing like shit and out of my league, I pick something I can survive with and sit my ass on the objective. I'd rather have kinda bad teammates who PTFO than pretty good teammates who wander around chasing kills. Literally all you need to win an average 6v6 in OW is one or two good players who can lock down the objective or dive in and kill the shit out the enemy backline and for everyone else to have enough sense to PTFO.

Same principle as League, actually. With two teams of randoms, the ones that pressure objectives constantly are almost always going to win. 5-6 people is just enough that you can't hard-carry incompetent cats, but you can make a decent showing with incompetent sheep. You usually can't solo an entire team alone, but you can create enough of an opportunity that even a pretty bad team can clean up against a roughly equivalent or moderately better team.

Gotta remember, even when you're hard-carrying or being carried, it's a team game. Even if your teammates suck you still need them to win, even if you suck you can still make a meaningful contribution simply by being present.

:|

3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 26, 2016, 04:24:27 pm »

Widowmaker is kind of a vicious cycle though, because unless you play a lot of rounds where you're bad at her, then you'll never be good enough as her to be a good Widowmaker that people won't bitch at.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 26, 2016, 04:53:41 pm »

But they don't know. They don't know that there's more to online shooters than sitting in a corner and failing to click on heads. They're just chasing that dopamine hit of getting an occasional kill on someone who went AFK, and they have no idea how effective they could be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 26, 2016, 05:33:53 pm »

You can practice. There's the practice chamber thing and bot games for a reason. Before I ever started playing McCree I went into the practice room and worked on my aim until I could semi-reliable land headshots on moving targets while moving on multiple axes. I practiced a little on Widow, but I already knew from experience that I detest sniper roles and don't have the time or drive to get good enough to make pulling them over something I enjoy and am going at worthwhile.

It's also about more than clicking heads. You can suck at clicking heads but still have good positioning, but most of the shit Widows also have terrible positioning and no situational awareness. It's very much like sniping in any other FPS, there are a few people that are really damn good at it and a whole bunch of people who worship at the altar but can't even approximate competent play.

Like, shit, if you can't snipe, just pull Winston and jump on people or Reinhardt and hold M2 on the objective. OW isn't like most FPSes in that clicking heads is simply one of the ways to contribute, and not even the most useful one.

3. Run Resize Enable

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 26, 2016, 05:42:30 pm »

There's the practice chamber thing and bot games for a reason.
Yeah, no, not enough :
I can get gold for elim and only headshots with Hanzo vs hard AI bots (as long as the team is not killing them right out of their spawn), but against real players I would get happy if I have 1 kill a minute.
Bots move with a simple pattern, especially if you're not really near them, so it doesn't train you that much.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 26, 2016, 06:25:39 pm »

Like, shit, if you can't snipe, just pull Winston and jump on people or Reinhardt and hold M2 on the objective. OW isn't like most FPSes in that clicking heads is simply one of the ways to contribute, and not even the most useful one.

Suicidal, objective-hugging tank teammates are actually some of the best teammates you could ever ask for.

"Guys I think we pushed past the payload too far and we're getting rekt, someone go before-"

*POSING HEROICALLY WINSTON UPON THE PAYLOAD*

"GOD BLESS YOU HARAMBE."

This actually happened on Rio, i was 76. Winston just shielded and emoted on the payload while we pushed forward like headless chickens and died. He held the payload. 7:32 match duration, 7:00 objective time. GOD BLESS YOU, TANK OBJECTIVE HARAMBES.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 26, 2016, 08:03:25 pm »

There's the practice chamber thing and bot games for a reason.
Yeah, no, not enough :
I can get gold for elim and only headshots with Hanzo vs hard AI bots (as long as the team is not killing them right out of their spawn), but against real players I would get happy if I have 1 kill a minute.
Bots move with a simple pattern, especially if you're not really near them, so it doesn't train you that much.
Yes, that's absolutely true, bots aren't a substitute for PvP experience. You'll never become a top-tier player only playing against bots. What they are is a bridge. You can get to a certain degree of skill playing against bots, and getting to that point before trying to play a head-clicker hero against other people can make a world of difference, especially if you're against people that aren't that good themselves. A Widow or McCree or Hanzo who only lands 10% headshots and 40% total hits is still a vast improvement over one who struggles to hit 10% of their shots, and doubly so if they also know how to keep mobile and position properly.

It's the exact reason why so many games force or try to lure you through a tutorial and some vs. AI games before you jump into online multiplayer: simply having that basic hands-on experience in a more controlled environment directly improves your baseline performance; being dumped directly into PvP isn't going to help a bad or new player improve much/at all because people are going to take advantage and slaughter them. It's a way to get used to how the weapon handles, your sensitivity, hitboxes, &c. without also having to try to win the game.

3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 26, 2016, 09:52:53 pm »

especially if you're against people that aren't that good themselves.
I'm going to emphasize this especially for characters with projectile travel time.

One thing I've noticed as Pharah is that if I go up against new players my accuracy goes down the tubes.  This is because my ability to land shots on people depends on being able to get in their heads and understand what they're trying to do.  Since new players are inherently hard to predict, I can't get in their heads.  So I just kind of hold down LMB in their general direction and inevitably they walk into my rockets on their own.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 107