Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167213 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #690 on: July 02, 2016, 12:14:05 am »

• Chell puts blue portal in spawn, to bring allies to the front quicker.
  • Puts orange portal at the front.
  • Ally respawns, sees portal to the front.
  • Walks through.
  • Chell prepares to engage enemies by putting orange portal over a pit.
  • Ally fall in pit.
  • Repeat x1000, salt ensues, volvo pls.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 02, 2016, 12:41:42 am »

I made it up to rank 53 today.  :)  I gotta say I don't really get how the ranking points are given.  I've only played with my roommate so far, and I got placed 1 rank below him.  Even though we've played every game together, somehow now I'm three ranks ahead of him?  It must be using some kind of individual performance to give points, but I've had plenty of games where I was kinda terrible too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:43:30 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #692 on: July 02, 2016, 01:01:35 am »

• Chell puts blue portal in spawn, to bring allies to the front quicker.
  • Puts orange portal at the front.
  • Ally respawns, sees portal to the front.
  • Walks through.
  • Chell prepares to engage enemies by putting orange portal over a pit.
  • Ally fall in pit.
  • Repeat x1000, salt ensues, volvo pls.

That is admittedly a downside, although symmetria has the same problem.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 02, 2016, 02:51:12 am »

Well after losing 90% of my matches yesterday and dropping from 49 to 42, my luck seems to have turned today. I've been winning roughly 75% of my matches and made my way back up to 45...though it's annoying how victories never seem to move ranking half as much as losses.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 02, 2016, 08:34:52 pm »

If we are going to group up for competitive play, we need to be in the main menu to do it. Once you're in a competitive game, people can't join your group.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2016, 11:16:10 am »

I got my totally average rank of 50 last night.  6 to 4 on placement matches, solo for all but one.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2016, 12:14:14 pm »

So after much hesitation I got this, since I figured there would be no way it would be worse for my mental health than League.

I've played a total of 2 hours, but I'm really impressed with how polished everything is, especially visually. Gameplay might be a tad too frantic for me, but it's fun and generally chill so I'm on board.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 03, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »

I finished my placement matches. 7 were wins, 2 were BS loses due to the sudden death system, and the 3rd loss was when I grouped with someone else, I finished the other 9 matches alone. Giving me a placement rating of 59.

Different topic: I played league of legends forever ago, for medium bursts of time, and I played a lot of support or jungle. Unfortunately I just really don't like supports in Overwatch since it doesn't feel like I have as much affect on the proceedings as a league support, in overwatch you're more of just a big source of healing and occasionally you do something neat.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 03, 2016, 01:37:37 pm »

Depending on how they do it, the likely new hero Sombra (which current theory suggests is a support sniper) might be your speed.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 03, 2016, 02:02:54 pm »

Unfortunately I just really don't like supports in Overwatch since it doesn't feel like I have as much affect on the proceedings as a league support, in overwatch you're more of just a big source of healing and occasionally you do something neat.
It looks like you haven't tried Zenyatta :)
With Zen, you put a healing ball on someone, then you fire bad balls at the enemies, dealing some nice damage. In comp games, he's not usually "main healer", but he's a nice addition, especially if your team has good tanks (because he has low HP and no mobility skill).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #700 on: July 03, 2016, 02:30:14 pm »

Zenyatta has remarkably powerful attacks, although they are not outwardly very impressive. I find myself on kill streaks before I realize I've managed to score any hits. It's interesting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 03, 2016, 02:33:30 pm »

So I guess I won't be playing competitive at all until second season, or maybe until Blizzard fixes their crap leaver-policy. I just won a game with randoms on Hollywood in a devastating manner, the enemy team didn't manage to defend at all, and as the attackers they couldn't even capture the first point. So in the very last seconds of the match, someone from their team leaves out of spite. I thought something along the lines of "oh wow, we did pretty well!" until I saw this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I looked it up and it appears that if an enemy leaves, it counts as only one tenth or so of a game regarding your rating, no matter when they left.

TL;DR: People on the enemy team can ruin your MMR gain from a match by leaving the match, wtf was Blizzard thinking when they implemented that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:35:37 pm by EvilTwin »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 03, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »

I finished my placement matches. 7 were wins, 2 were BS loses due to the sudden death system, and the 3rd loss was when I grouped with someone else, I finished the other 9 matches alone. Giving me a placement rating of 59.

Different topic: I played league of legends forever ago, for medium bursts of time, and I played a lot of support or jungle. Unfortunately I just really don't like supports in Overwatch since it doesn't feel like I have as much affect on the proceedings as a league support, in overwatch you're more of just a big source of healing and occasionally you do something neat.

Best support I've seen were in Bloodline: Champions - having EVERYTHING be a skillshot and completely eliminating chance (meaning heals healed for a fixed amount, increased depending on how close to the target you threw them) adds a lot of tension and really ups the skill ceiling.

... Come to think of it, best everything I've seen was in Bloodline: Champions  :'( so sad
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 05, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »

After making it up to 52, I had another bad day of overwhelming losses and fell back to 43 >_<

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 05, 2016, 09:38:00 pm »

So I guess I won't be playing competitive at all until second season, or maybe until Blizzard fixes their crap leaver-policy. I just won a game with randoms on Hollywood in a devastating manner, the enemy team didn't manage to defend at all, and as the attackers they couldn't even capture the first point. So in the very last seconds of the match, someone from their team leaves out of spite. I thought something along the lines of "oh wow, we did pretty well!" until I saw this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I looked it up and it appears that if an enemy leaves, it counts as only one tenth or so of a game regarding your rating, no matter when they left.

TL;DR: People on the enemy team can ruin your MMR gain from a match by leaving the match, wtf was Blizzard thinking when they implemented that.

Wait, what!? Okay, I was reluctant to come back and play ranked, but now I'm definitely not going to. Holy shit, that's astonishingly dumb.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 107