Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167086 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Release Scheduled for May
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2016, 02:10:42 am »

This last game I countered a Pharah ult by hitting her with the Orb of Discord and then several other, nameless orbs.  I mean she still got half of the ult off but she regretted it.

BTW Zenyatta does so much damage that it proves Buddhism is the superior religion.  If you think Roadhog is OP watch Zenyatta shred him in two seconds flat while healing an ally he isn't even looking at.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2016, 02:24:50 am »

...Nobody told me there was friendly fire.
I discovered this by firing Hanzo's Dragon Strike into a cluster of teammates. Whoops. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2016, 02:29:10 am »

But there isn't!
I'm fairly sure!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2016, 02:33:29 am »

There is not friendly fire, and if you killed teammates with Hanzo's dragon something has gone very, very wrong.  Did you see that during a kill cam?  The team colors are reversed during those.  AKA your enemies will have blue names, so if you saw a bunch of people with blue names dying during a killcam then you did well.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2016, 02:41:06 am »

Huh, I've just been seeing "TEAM KILL" pop up on the screen fairly often, accompanied by a voiceover. ???
And it popped up multiple times immediately after my Dragon Strike accident, so I kinda assumed that was related. Weird.
Booze is Life for Yoink

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2016, 03:13:12 am »

There's your problem.  You're not the only one; although it sounds like you are doing unusually well if this is a problem that you're having.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2016, 03:40:25 am »

If you think friendly fire is on you haven't shot at your teammates enough. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2016, 05:27:16 am »

There's your problem.  You're not the only one; although it sounds like you are doing unusually well if this is a problem that you're having.
I'd like to accept that, but sadly I noticed this after I'd switched back to AI mode to learn some new characters. :P

My connection has suddenly gotten really bad, otherwise I'd still be playing. The beta doesn't go for much longer, does it? I must admit the game is a lot better than I expected... I'm almost tempted to buy it, but I'm already planning on picking up Doom. I don't really have enough money to buy either without impeding my plans for next weekend, anyway. Dang.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2016, 12:24:53 pm »

It says something about shooters that one of the best characters is the generic caucasian gun soldier whose abilities are gun, heal, and better gun.
Shoes...

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »

More like the skills to play him is easily transferred from any other FPS, so it makes playing with him easy.  Plenty of characters can easily 1v1 him and shut him down.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2016, 02:39:24 pm »

It just says that very accurate long range high damage hitscan is powerful in the hands of a newb or a master. Just as it should be, imo.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2016, 03:00:27 pm »

It says something about shooters that one of the best characters is the generic caucasian gun soldier whose abilities are gun, heal, and better gun.
76 is blatantly an attempt to appeal to the CoD demographic.  He sprints, he regenerates, he has a hitscan assault rifle and a noob tube.

Its funny, but I went into a Gamestop a month ago and on their little TV that constantly runs ads for games, was an ad for Overwatch.  This ad was entirely Soldier 76 monologuing in a gruff voice about how he's all unhappy about what happened to Overwatch and he's going to take revenge and he wants YOU to join the fight.  A far cry from the online advertising which mostly ignored 76 and focused on the variety of diverse characters and gameplay styles.

Guess their marketing team wants to have their cake and eat it too :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »

I think it's a metaphor, all the other characters are a diverse bunch of oddballs and then there's 76, a grouchy old man representing the tired, old-fashioned attitudes of the gaming industry. Don't take my word for it though, I haven't really been paying attention.
Too many butts in this game keep distracting me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:50 pm »

My third loot crate was Tracer's ass pose.  But I hate Tracer and never play her.

And you're thinking too hard about Caucasian Gun Soldier.  He's the classic shooter character.  A gruff but otherwise nondescript American gun man who shoots people and that's it.

You've got all these unique ideas and concepts bouncing around, but the most consistently effective is the same guy you've been playing in every shooter for the past 20 years.

My lineup right now:  Reaper, Hanzo, D.Va, Lucio.  Backups are McCree, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, Mercy.

Reaper is basically the guy from Hatred but he's actually really good.  He plays best as a spoiler, running around into the enemy's territory and trolling them.  Bastion, Torbjorn, all the supports except maybe Lucio on a good day, the snipers, basically anyone who doesn't want you up in their face.

A few games ago I spent the entire round flanking and killing their mercy until he started complaining in /all
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »

There is also a question of ease of use vs mastery. A character that is great at casual/low skill might taper off at higher skill levels while ones that are very hard to use early on shine later on. You also get characters that fit a given player's style much better, so one person might do better with Soldier 76 while others find him mediocre at best.

Best is a valuation of context as much as actual character ability.

*shrug*

Personally, he's ok but not on my list of characters I plan on playing all that often.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 107