Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167265 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #855 on: August 03, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »

Now that I'm in Europe, I tried playing on quickplay to see what it's like.

...It's very easy to see why the western world has a toxic community given how shit everyone is. I mean, I'm not a good player, but this is the next level in being terrible at video games.
Nice, competent, cooperative. Choose two.
Okay but it's really tragic that these people play worse than kids who can't speak English.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #856 on: August 03, 2016, 11:55:27 pm »

Blizzard cannot into spines.

The Zerg actually have quite a few spines.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 04, 2016, 06:18:00 am »

Blizzard cannot into spines.

The Zerg actually have quite a few spines.

Hydralisks are quite willing to share theirs with you from a distance!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 04, 2016, 02:13:20 pm »

Playing Ana with randos in Temple of Anubis: Defense.

Our Reinhardt, after dying: "Wow, 18 killstreak"

Random enemy: "Dude, Ana is riding you like a horse."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 04, 2016, 10:22:12 pm »

As a Reinhardt main, I will say Ana is the best thing to happen to me since I started maining Reinhardt (not by choice, see below). I don't think any other character becomes as lethal as Reinhardt with the Nano-Boost. Roadhog comes close, but only if his Ult is ready.

Anyone else have to deal with the frustration of being naturally gifted with a character that, while you don't mind it, you'd rather not play? All my life I've never played Tank. I've only ever picked things off from afar or got nice and close with a blade. I live by the infinitely wise words my boxing coach gave me back in the day: "Don't get hit." And yet I find myself better able to assist my team to victory as Reinhardt than, say, Tracer or Reaper (though admittedly I've only got 3 more hours on Rein than Reaper right now). It's to the point that when I play with my regular guys I say "I wonder what I'll be this round..." and everyone laughs thinking I'm making a joke about how I only ever play Reinhardt now, even though sometimes I'm actually trying to play someone else.

But then I get called things like "Best tank ever" and "a god" and I wonder if my preferred playstyle all my life is not the playstyle I'm best with.

Now that I think about it, in Soul Caliber 2 I was always Nightmare playing against people. That was because I learned his moveset and utilized it in such a way to maximize mobility (my god some of those stance-change combos...). It's kind of similar with Reinhardt, I don't play him vanilla. Unless I'm needed to shield a path (getting the team to rush into the left side of the first arch in Anubis for example), leading a charge (literally any B point), or standing on a payload, I'm using Reinhardt to sneak around my enemies and draw attention from my team doing what they're doing (usually sucking, unless I'm in a group). I'm dead for more victory screens than not, usually because a sneaky Reinhardt is a mean motherfucker. The Supports should know to fear me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 05, 2016, 12:50:40 am »

Man of Paper, I think you should maybe reconsider stealthardt.  Reinhardt just isn't a stealthy dude, even ignoring the fact that he's huge he also has some of the loudest footsteps in the game, and his charge callout is audible from a good distance away.

More to the point, the shield is what makes Reinhardt good.  Going ham is the fun bit but the real meat of the character is in using the shield to protect his allies.  And I think you'll find that as you get matched with higher and higher level people, your charges start working less and less, enemy Reins will become absolutely brutal at using Earthshatter on your allies, and the CC characters will notice much more quickly when their medics are threatened.

Or I mean do what you want, it sounds like you're having fun.  Just be aware that vanilla Rein has its own joys, and ultimately the character is played that way for good reasons.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 05, 2016, 01:04:46 am »

EnigmaticHat (Tank) + MZ (Ana) = Lethal Combo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 05, 2016, 01:44:41 am »

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I play the objective and act as vanilla reinhardt more than stealthmans, but, especially when I'm grouped with friends, doubly so when it's the start of the match, I love to take some time to, say, hide next to the attacker's spawn and charge the whole team into the icy waters below. And I often don't stealth unless there's a dedicated firefight going on to draw attention from my huge bootsteps. It's all situational, obviously, but I personally think most people even see Stealthardt as a feasable option, let alone an effective one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 05, 2016, 07:01:41 am »

I mean, there's a reason for that. There are other heroes that do literally the exact same thing except that they have mobility to help them get into position and escape after, and don't rely on being in melee range to do steady damage. It's like how Hanzo is pretty much pointless to play now; Ana is a better sniper than either him or Widow, and his ult is about as useful as pre-buff D.Va's. Except worse, because a good Hanzo player can still get stuff done without that lurking voice saying, "Y'know, you'd probably be doing a lot more if you used his kit in the more effective style."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 05, 2016, 11:07:39 am »

I mean, there's a reason for that. There are other heroes that do literally the exact same thing except that they have mobility to help them get into position and escape after, and don't rely on being in melee range to do steady damage. It's like how Hanzo is pretty much pointless to play now; Ana is a better sniper than either him or Widow, and his ult is about as useful as pre-buff D.Va's. Except worse, because a good Hanzo player can still get stuff done without that lurking voice saying, "Y'know, you'd probably be doing a lot more if you used his kit in the more effective style."
I disagree about Ana being the best sniper. She's the best sniper if you can't land headshots; if you can, you're better off with Widow unless you desperately need supports on your team.

Hanzo is.... well, Hanzo's pretty much always been a dumpster fire of a character. Pre-patch, he was an annoyance because he could get a headshot if he hit you in the dick, whereas now he's really reliant on being able to either hit heads, or throw the ricochet arrow at someone's feet in order to get kills. Either way, he's less effective as a 'sniper' than Widow or Ana will ever be. But I don't think he needs a buff, I think he needs a straight-up rework in order to give him his own niche. (Maybe make him the defensive anti-flanker, since Mei isn't doing that job properly?)
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:51 pm »

Which would explain why post-Ana buff her pick rate in Comp has been ~10-15%, while both Widow and Hanzo are flatlined at 0.n%. People are picking Torb more than Widowmaker right now, on PC, in competitive. That's how far in the dumpster she is. Her theoretical damage is higher, but it requires you to land nothing but headshots and for the enemy team to stand out in the open without shooting you. Ana can pump out her damage in shorter windows without needing to scope in (while retaining that option), and she can self-heal, debuff enemy healing, and heal her teammates from long range or in an AoE, and she has a strong ranged hard CC in a game nearly devoid of it.

Widow's a one trick pony and she's not very good at that trick right now. As it should be. There are enough FPSes out there dominated by people who can click heads with overpowered weapons, this doesn't need to be one of them.

I mean, you can probably get away playing her in low-MMR casuals with two team sof randoms, but you can do that with any hero, even Torb or Bastion.

3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 05, 2016, 03:10:20 pm »

Apparently season one of competitive is ending on August 17th.  You'll get your spray/icon rewards if you finished your placement matches, and you'll get CP points depending on your highest achieved ranking:

Code: [Select]
SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

I only managed to get up to 55 as my highest, so I figure I don't have a lot of chance at getting 120 CP's, but 80 CP's is still nice.

---

Also I think I'm actually getting worse at lucioball.  I did so well the first day, but now I always feel like 20% of the time my shots don't register, which is pretty embarrassing when you are the goalie.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:15:36 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 05, 2016, 03:27:56 pm »

I personally think Ana didn't need to be buffed (aside from the sleep dart recovery time to reduce my anger towards randoms) but I'll take it since she's my main now.  Dueling a good Widow as Ana is suicide, because Ana is the kind of character that Widow specializes in killing.  If you're shooting at, say, a Winston... Widow is better in theory, if you have perfect aim, but the shooting is easier as Ana and Ana can start running and gunning as the ranges shorten.  And of course Ana has actual abilities, while Widow's feel like she was given shit abilities to compensate for her great gun.  I mean the grapple's solid, I guess.  It does something the other sniper has as a passive.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 05, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »

The grapple lets you land those style MLG hookshots and everyone knows showboating gives the most points.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #869 on: August 05, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »

My secret theory is that all ranks from 1 to 100 are hell.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 107