Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167232 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #735 on: July 12, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »

Self-Destruct

Ultimate cost decreased by 15%
    Explosion delay reduced from 4 seconds to 3 seconds
    Explosion no longer damages D.Va (the player who activates it)

Yuuuuus!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:51 pm »

YES. we need more non-ultimate crowd control. (I hate genji & tracer so much)
There's a short delay between pressing E and firing, it's a single projectile that effects one target, has a 12 second cooldown, and if the enemy takes damage they get back up. Does that even count as crowd control?
DOTA 2, a MOBA with unusually crazy CC, has a character who specializes in single target disables.  His signature stun works in *exactly* the same way except that any ally of the stunned person can save them by transferring the stun to themselves.  They've literally taken one of the strongest non-ultimate CC abilities any popular multiplayer game will allow players to have, removed two of its weakness, increased its range, and then stuck it in a game that has very weak CC overall.  WTF.

Sure, bad/pub teams will cancel it constantly by accident.  But still, this is seriously the next best thing to a 1HKO.  Literally just tag someone with it, and then either
A. use it as setup for another CC like charge, trap, or hook
B.  move into position, and then attack them with a high damage attack or ideally more than one at once
C. use the downed player as a trap to catch the rest of the team with an AoE or CC ult as they move in to save the person
D. leave them asleep and kill their allies because its 6 fucking seconds

Like seriously, that ability could be 1 second long and it would still BS.  On a healer no less.  WTF.  What's kind of amazing is that its ALSO perfect for canceling earth shatter, tank form, deadeye, dragon blade, any number of ults really, and Blizzard has chosen to highlight this in their character intro.  Like "oh yeah, we added a long-ranged damage/healing hybrid who has a 50% stun uptime, clearly that's not good enough so let's show off how she can press not-Q to cancel PoTG."  Like you could do nothing but hit tranq darts whenever they're off cooldown, literally nothing, and if no one helped finish off the stunned characters you would still be turning the game into 5 v 5.5.  Think about that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 12, 2016, 06:09:36 pm »

DOTA 2, a MOBA with unusually crazy CC, has a who specializes in single target disables.  His signature stun works in *exactly* the same way except that any ally of the stunned person can save them by transferring the stun to themselves.  They've literally taken one of the strongest non-ultimate CC abilities any popular multiplayer game will allow players to have, removed two of its weakness, increased its range, and then stuck it in a game that has very weak CC overall.  WTF.

It's not like DOTA invented sleep effects that break on damage. The earliest example I can think of is most of the Final Fantasy games. Everquest also had mesmerize effects that worked like that. I'm sure there are many other examples.

In other news, I've had 4 games today where an enemy left in the last minute before I won resulting in me gaining about 5% of a rank. Really hope they fix this mess soon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:12:02 pm by Folly »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #738 on: July 12, 2016, 06:37:26 pm »

have you actually played with/as her

Good question.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 12, 2016, 06:41:13 pm »

DOTA 2, a MOBA with unusually crazy CC, has a who specializes in single target disables.  His signature stun works in *exactly* the same way except that any ally of the stunned person can save them by transferring the stun to themselves.  They've literally taken one of the strongest non-ultimate CC abilities any popular multiplayer game will allow players to have, removed two of its weakness, increased its range, and then stuck it in a game that has very weak CC overall.  WTF.

It's not like DOTA invented sleep effects that break on damage. The earliest example I can think of is most of the Final Fantasy games. Everquest also had mesmerize effects that worked like that. I'm sure there are many other examples.

In other news, I've had 4 games today where an enemy left in the last minute before I won resulting in me gaining about 5% of a rank. Really hope they fix this mess soon.
Literally at no point in that did I question that Ana is an original character with original mechanics.  That wasn't my point.  All online multiplayer games limit effects that cause people to lose control of their characters (AKA CC) because mechanics like that are always frustrating and extremely powerful.  There's a sliding scale of how much CC a game lets you have.  Overwatch and DOTA are on opposite ends of the scale, but for some reason Blizzard has decided that Overwatch needs a CC that would be considered extremely high end in DOTA.

I mean, its one of two point and click CCs in the entire game and its like 6x as long as the second highest non-ultimate stun, and twice as long as the game's two roots.  On a healer.  That's not raising any red flags for anyone?

have you actually played with/as her
No, the PTR doesn't work for me I was too busy asking my intellectual betters what the difference between a flashbang and a tranq dart is.

Have watched videos tho and read about it tho, seen nothing that would disagree with me.  Sounds like the PTR isn't terribly informative either what with everyone playing as her.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 12, 2016, 07:00:58 pm »

That's fair.  And I did say I'm willing to wait and see.  But... I'm pretty confident this is not just OP, its as bad or worse than fan the hammer was on release.  My money is on that ability not reaching the main servers in its current state.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 12, 2016, 07:09:44 pm »

It's on a healer-support whose main weapon does low-alpha DoT. Moreover, it's tied to her pistol, so I expect relatively limited range and/or not being hitscan, which means more difficult to target and the potential for a Genji deflect that doesn't rely on prediction the way his Flashbang deflect does.

Also, reflect on the irony of bitching about point-and-click ranged hard CC in the same sentence as defending poor, vulnerable McCree.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 12, 2016, 07:23:33 pm »

Point and click as in it fires at people directly in front of you and at a good range.  As in "point and click adventure", which is how I often talk about snipers.  McCree's fashbang is certainly excessive for Overwatch but at least its short range and its AoE is pretty small.

But yeah, I've hated McCree since release and the only reason I'm OK with him now is because pub McCrees can't aim and thus essentially have NOTHING except the flashbang and ult.  Ana clearly has things going for her other than the one stun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:01 pm »

That's another thing to consider, it's single-target. McCree's might be short-ranged, but you can catch a lot of people in it if they cluster, say, on a cart or behind a Rein shield.

I mean, she's next to defenseless, since her only weapons are a pistol and a DoT sniper rifle and she lacks any sort of mobility skill. She can't combo the sleep into a kill herself, so it's either an assist move or an escape.

Perfect for disabling camping Widowmakers and Bastions, too. If she had some mobility she might actually be a really interesting aggressive flanking support who wants to get behind the enemy team and harass them, sort of like a Tracer, except focused more on utility than damage, since she could still fill her healing role from that sort of position.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 12, 2016, 11:15:50 pm »

Okay, looking at how she plays, the dart seems fairly hard to land against moving targets at any sort of range. The grenade actually looks to be much more powerful, since it's basically the anti-support tool. In particular Ana's kit as a whole seems to really counter Mercy, both by debuffing her heal target at a critical moment and by putting her to sleep when she tries to get out to ult. I actually think that that's a big part of why they changed Mercy's ult to let her move while using it, otherwise any half-decent Ana could hard-counter her constantly.

Also saw something interesting commented on, that there's good benefit to spamming shots into messy brawls, since any missed shot/grenade stands a decent chance of still doing something useful.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 14, 2016, 12:33:28 pm »

Thank fuck, now I can finish my placements.

3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 14, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »

Well they seem to have fixed, or at least greatly improved, the ranking adjustment in regards to leavers. I've had several matches today where my allies left and I only lost a little bit of rank, as well as several matches where my enemies left and I still got a good amount of rank gain.

Also, for some reason, every match I've been paired with people averaging 10 ranks above me. Between having competent allies and fair ranking adjustments, I've managed to go from 35->45 today.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 14, 2016, 10:18:06 pm »

I've managed to go from 35->45 today.

Wow, that is a massive jump.  :D

I had some good games today.  I'm starting to think I can only aim after some vodka...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 16, 2016, 04:57:16 am »

Yeah, I'd say the group matchmaking needs to be improved but I've no idea how they'd go about it. Having played with some mates in a 5-stack, even with all of us being relatively competent at the game, our winrate was only like 30%. Cause whilst level means bugger all most of the time, when against a 5-stack who're all double starred (100 levels each I believe?), and all the exact same level as each other, it's a sure sign you're gonna get stomped. That round was brutal :/

Still, I've not had that issue in 3-stacks, so something's going right there. (Haven't played in a 4.)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 21, 2016, 04:14:16 pm »

So, new character analysis time:
Spoiler: Zenyatta (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: D'va (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ana (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 107