Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167137 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #450 on: June 07, 2016, 04:46:05 pm »

Or not.

Blizz: "Lol scrubs, server tickrate is 60Hz, it's a clientside issue. Also we won't make clientside 60Hz update rate in Quickplay unless you all play customs with it and give us feedback, even though customs are vastly underpopulated compared to Quickplay."

On the other hand, reduced McCree fan damage.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 07, 2016, 08:58:18 pm »

It's worth noting that TF2 also has a default client update rate of 20/s, but one of the first things you should do (if you have a steady connection on something that isn't dial-up) is change it, especially if you want to play sniper.

That the servers run at 60/s is far better to know (it allows more accurate differentiation between actions that would otherwise be considered simultaneous, and limits the minimum interpolation interval and client input rate). If it were 20/s, and every action was lumped into 50ms spaced updates, you can imagine how horrible that would be. It also sounded like from that video in the link that client inputs are also sent at 60/s, which is really the most important, so it's just the clientside interpolation that's crap. The difference between 50ms and 15ms will often come into play if you're trying to get a very precise hit on someone who's trying to evade it, like when going for a headshot with a hitscan weapon.

That they're asking for people to run it on custom servers first is amusing, as is that "20% of players wouldn't be able to play" figure. It should just be an option, like everything else. Competitive players won't take 20/s interpolation seriously, but if your connection can't handle it, the majority of people won't notice the difference, except when using perfectly accurate hitscan weapons for precise shots.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:43 pm »

From what I've seen of Overwatch gameplay, there doesn't seem to be many hitscan weapons. Mostly I'm seeing various projectiles.

I can kinda see why Blizz would initially implement it as a custom game option. If there was gonna be a serious competitive game between two or more teams in an e-sports style tourney it probably would not be set up using quick play. If the competitive players want the option for 60hz it's there in custom mode. Still, a majority of the gameplay for a majority of players would probably be done currently through quick play games, and it's hard to really justify having a majority of gameplay be "slower" or "clunkier" when there could be a better option.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 08, 2016, 07:06:32 am »

What weapons are you seeing that aren't?  The only ones I know definitely aren't are hanzo, Mercy, Junkrat, Torb and Mei.  And probably a couple others I'm not thinking of.
Shoes...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:23 am »

Soldier 76, Bastion, Widowmaker, and I think D.Va's mech are all the hitscan weapons.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 08, 2016, 09:43:01 am »

Soldier 76, Bastion, Widowmaker, and I think D.Va's mech are all the hitscan weapons.
Aren't Reaper shotguns also technically hitscan?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 08, 2016, 09:48:59 am »

Yeah, so is Roadhog's shotgun and Tracers machine pistol things.  Probably others too, lots of hitscan weapons.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 08, 2016, 10:35:33 am »

Most of them have a slight delay between firing and impacting terrain for effect, but as far as I know all the weapons that aren't obviously projectile are hitscan.
Shoes...

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 08, 2016, 11:52:06 am »

Im kinda glad i haven't actually bought this yet, i would have been furious if i'd gotten ingame and been met with the hitbox garbage without knowing about it first. Why do people not seem to care that they are this shitty?

I might still get the game, but thats something that i feel should be getting a lot more attention than it should be.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 08, 2016, 11:57:36 am »

I assume it was intended.  Don't most FPS's oversize the hitboxes?

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 08, 2016, 12:02:34 pm »

I assume it was intended.  Don't most FPS's oversize the hitboxes?
Its hard to make a hitbox that big by accident, which makes it worse as theyre less likely to fix an intentionally fucked up design decision.

As for other shooters no, not to the same extent. TF2 has the biggest headshot hitboxes relative to model size i know of, and it's still 2-3 times smaller than whats pictured in that image, and the only thing that uses the head collision hitbox for bonus is the sniper weapons and one spy pistol. From what i understand more than half of the main weapons in OW feature headshot damage. Games like CS actually feature hitboxes slightly smaller than the models.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:05:03 pm by Mattk50 »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 08, 2016, 01:18:33 pm »

But games like CS are not like games like Overwatch.
Yes, they're both Team-based FPS, but with the Overwatch is more a mix between TF2 and Quake, for its speed.
Also, Blizzard wanted their game to be more "noob friendly" so, to do well with high speed characters, they needed bigger hitboxes.
Seems rational to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 08, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »

I am honestly surprised they didn't go the "Buster cannon" route and just make the projectiles huge or scatter widely.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 08, 2016, 01:26:30 pm »

Oh, I just remembered I wanted to post this:

https://watcher.gg/

Its a stat tracking site, but one of the neat things is that it shows things like score/second or eliminations per minute, which is a much better metric than things like K/D or average eliminations.  It also has a leaderboard so you can try to figure out roughly how well you are doing.

I think its also supposed to watch your stats over time (once you are in their system) so you can see if you are improving.  I thought it was kinda neat, and the best of the ones I've seen so far.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »

The hitboxes work a lot better in action. Genji is a lot harder to hit if he's double jumping and zig zagging as he should be. Big hitboxes work in that regard to help make sure he at least dies in a timely manner.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 107