Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167141 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #420 on: June 05, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »

Even behind reinhardt I had a bad time with the enemy Winston.  There's no way to deal with him in time to save me and there's no way to escape or kill him in time.  Yeah, if my whole team's on point to protect me, but the key issue remains, why pick him over anybody else.  Even in the offensive support role soldier 76 does better.

If he gets buffed I'll play the shit out of him, even committed to it by getting a skin.  I've got a skin I like for every hero now.  Never again temptation to buy boxes, never again playing for boxes, I can play the game for fun now.

Look into these eyes.  Do you see mercy?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:23:34 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 05, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »

I would note that the Lucio/Mercy dynamic depends heavily on the map and team comps. Lucio's generally great for KotH on all comps because he can mix it up in a messy fight, but Mercy (on the right map) can output more healing) as well as a better utility function when everyone's full. Mercy's ult is also, I'd say, a bit better for clutching close fights because it doesn't rely on perfect timing. A Lucio ulting too early or too late isn't nearly as impactful as even a one or two man Mercy ult.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »

I never really understood Lucio until I saw a friend of mine play him, who had mastered his wallrunning ability.  He can actually go up walls if you have a 90 degree corner to abuse.  Also used both the speed and hp auras better than I could.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »

Yeah, a good Lucio can wallrun out of certain pits on KotH maps.

3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 05, 2016, 06:07:34 pm »

I would note that the Lucio/Mercy dynamic depends heavily on the map and team comps. Lucio's generally great for KotH on all comps because he can mix it up in a messy fight, but Mercy (on the right map) can output more healing) as well as a better utility function when everyone's full. Mercy's ult is also, I'd say, a bit better for clutching close fights because it doesn't rely on perfect timing. A Lucio ulting too early or too late isn't nearly as impactful as even a one or two man Mercy ult.
The flip side of that is that Mercy's ult is useless if no one is dead, so if they shoot the medic first she has no ult with which to save herself.  Zenyatta and Lucio both have the self protection, Mercy and Lucio both have the ability to save people from one-shots.  Lucio's ult lacks the glaring weaknesses of the other two even tho in a vacuum its not as powerful.  I would definitely agree that Lucio and Mercy are on a similar level (although Lucio is still better by a little IMO) whereas its a larger jump down in power to get to Zenyatta.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 05, 2016, 07:54:11 pm »

So I occasionally see videos of this game on Youtube. Is it fun? Good? Balanced? Gameplay looks like TF2 meets Dota.

I'd consider picking it up to try, there's a couple heroes that sound interesting to me, but apparently it's 40 bucks and I'd rather not shell out that kind of cash on an impulse.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 05, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »

Blizzard has a 30 day return policy, pretty relaxed I think if you change your mind.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 05, 2016, 08:53:09 pm »

Is it fun?

I think so.  Fun is subjective.

Good?

The game does have polish.  There's 21 characters, and about 6 or 8 maps.  The characters are split into four roles, and each of them is easy enough to pick up, but some of them have decent depth.  Not a massive amount of content, but I enjoy small bursts of it every day or so.

Balanced?

There's a few issues here and there, but nothing absolutely game breaking.  General consensus at the moment is that Widowmaker and McRee are strong, because FPS sniper for the former and a powerful close range stun and burst for the later.  D.Va is weak due to a flanking focus with somewhat lacking damage.  A lot of new players have trouble with Bastion, as he simply cannot be taken head-on.  No character feels helplessly weak, unlike some TF2 classes.

It does help that players are encouraged and often do select decent team compositions.

Gameplay looks like TF2 meets Dota.

I guess.  It has a better teamwork focus than tf2 does (at least pub wise), and I think some class roles are executed better than in TF2.  The only real dota-like mechanics are the fact that you have abilities on cooldowns, and each character has an ubercharge-like ultimate ability.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 05, 2016, 10:43:24 pm »

So after watching a bunch more gameplay videos I'd say this looks like a pretty gud fun team-based FPS. Lots of heroes that look like they have fun playstyles. I honestly can't believe I snubbed checking it out for so long because I (initially) disliked the aesthetics.

Blizzard has a 30 day return policy, pretty relaxed I think if you change your mind.
Unfortunately it seems doubtful my current PC will run it. Even if I wanted to buy it now I can't play it.

There's 21 characters, and about 6 or 8 maps.
Are there plans for more content in the future? I know Blizzard's Diablo 3 team has consistently been rolling out new seasons with new legendaries and various additional features without any extra money charges beyond the Reaper of Souls dlc.

Also is there any kind of training mode? In games like this I like to be able to play around with characters or run around in maps to learn layouts without having to worry about burdening a team with my newness.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 05, 2016, 10:56:07 pm »

Future content will be released and will also be free.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 05, 2016, 11:50:19 pm »

Yeah, there's a training map with varied terrain and moving robot targets.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 05, 2016, 11:59:56 pm »

Can also play vs bots.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 06, 2016, 12:13:37 am »

If you do that, make sure to turn on headshots only. Takes a lot longer for you to die and it's better aim practice.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 06, 2016, 07:09:00 am »

I like the aesthetics actually.  Nice and clean and colorful is a good step away from brown and gray and gray and brown.  I even like how the characters look like they're made of playdough.

The thing I don't like is how all the maps are Generic Future City, with a couple cultural buildings thrown in theme-park style so you know where you are.  Globalism, everybody.
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:20 am »

Have you seen the building that's a window on one side and a completely different room inside?
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 107