Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167119 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2016, 11:27:02 am »

If everyone pitches in the Bastion menace will fall.  Ditto for the Reinhardt barrier menace.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2016, 11:32:03 am »

If everyone pitches in the Bastion menace will fall.  Ditto for the Reinhardt barrier menace.

And given that I've RARELY seen good Bastion players (including myself)... Pretty much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2016, 12:36:44 pm »

Bastion's one of those heroes that are really strong in early levels because people don't switch hero much to deal with problems and don't know how to go about killing him. Here's a few of the best approaches:

1. Genji. Jump out in front of him, deflect as soon as he starts firing at you, he's dead instantly. Very few Bastions have the trigger discipline to wait and check every single time to be sure that they're not shooting at a deflecting Genji. If they do hold their fire, you just M1 while closing the gap and kill them. I'm not kidding about the instant death, either, you die fast enough that if a reflecting Genji jumps into your line of fire you'll die before your brain can process the updated situation.

2. Widowmaker, if any sort of long sightline is available. Bastion's damage falls off at range. All it takes is a couple charged shots and he's dead. He can't outheal your damage, and if he doesn't move after the first shot he should be dead.

3. Pharah. Don't fly unless you have the advantage of surprise. Instead, peek a distant corner and pump rockets into him. He'll die before you do if he doesn't immediately move.

4. Junkrat. My personal favorite. Bounce bombs around corners, arc them over walls, use your concussion blast to give yourself a brief shot over a high obstacle and fall out of sight before he can react. I've played both, and there are very few spots where a turret-camping Bastion can be effective without also being exposed to fire from any decent Junkrat.

5. D.Va. Use the situation-appropriate combination of a surprise rocket-boost from an unexpected angle and her projectile barrier to get up in Bastion's face, then shred him. He's got great damage, but so do you at point-blank range, and you're a hell of a lot more sturdy. If he doesn't know you're coming, he's dead. If he's waiting for you to pop up and sees you coming the whole way, it's still better than 50-50 odds that you get him before he gets you.

6. Roadhog. The hook pulls Bastion out of turret mode. As long as there's a corner in range of the hook, Roadhog can step out, hook Bastion before Bastion can shred him, and shotgun him to bits.

7. Zarya + anyone with high DPS, and/or with high charge herself. Barrier on the DPS and yourself as you step out, open up together, and shred him before the barriers time out. Bastion's squishy as hell, the only thing keeping him alive is the fact that people don't know how to counter him and he has enough DPS to shred anyone that tried to tackle him head-on. I mean, hell, you can corner-peek him with Hanzo or McCree too if you're quick about it.

Bastion is like Reaper, you see him much less as you increase in level, because people figure out how to deal with him (it's not that difficult), he's highly situational, and relies heavily on good positioning and a strict avoidance of camping the same spot. Bastion's a pocket pick you pull out to surprise the enemy team and maybe wipe out one push, then swap out as soon as you die because they countered you. The only way to be even moderately effective against a team that counters properly is to relocate constantly, never firing from the same spot twice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2016, 01:52:00 pm »

Hell, even Mei can corner peak a Bastion and get a lot of damage in.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2016, 02:40:07 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Mei. She doesn't even need to kill him, she can just wall him off.

3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2016, 05:36:23 pm »

On the flipside, merely existing as Bastion usually gets you Play of the Game.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2016, 05:44:49 pm »

Man, I wish Blizzard didn't put Widowmaker into the game.  I've had so many games that have been shutdown and made completely unfun by a single good widowmaker.  So frustrating sometimes, especially on Anubis.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »

Widowmaker is on my list of characters that are overpowered.  But she's not overpowered in the same way McCree is where his mere existence bends the entire nature of the game.  She can be managed, its just that assuming equal skill she's going to do better than she really should.  She just needs to be put down to 150 health (her grapple and thin as hell hitbox make her bizarrely hard to kill in close combat) and have her charge time increased (currently its less punishing then that slide animation every modern shooter with overpowered snipers has).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2016, 06:26:01 pm »

The hook pulls Bastion out of turret mode

That is new. His turret mode used to actually be immune to the hook.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »

TBH McCree in his current state is easy to deal with in every situation except turning a blind corner into one with decent reaction times. The only really nasty tricks they can pull off (like flashbanging over the top of a Reinhart shield) don't get used much. Mostly it's just the obnoxious flashbang+fan instakill. Mainly just needs some counterplay on the flashbang beyond "pull Genji and hope you have better reflexes". There's so much shit that utterly shuts down his ult that I think the instawipe potential is a fair balance.

But yeah, Widowmaker is a cancer on gameplay for the same reason that overpowered one-shot rifles are always FPS cancer: there's only two types of people who use them, the ones who are so oppressively good that the match is ruined for the enemy team, and the ones who are so pathetically inept that the match is ruined for their own team. A bad Widow turns matches into a 5v6, a good one essentially deactivates certain heroes in the selection screen and makes wherever they're looking at an instadeath zone. Exact same reason I used to play CS only on servers that banned AWP and autos.

Take Pharah. 76 is a solid counter for her and can kill her pretty easily if he gets half a chance, but still has potential for counterplay at similar skill levels. A decent Widowmaker means that Pharah switches into something else the first time she dies unless she's a massively better player.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 04, 2016, 08:20:40 pm »

The hook pulls Bastion out of turret mode

That is new. His turret mode used to actually be immune to the hook.

This is when he had the little blue shield in front of him right?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 04, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »

TBH McCree in his current state is easy to deal with in every situation except turning a blind corner into one with decent reaction times.
His right click does 420 damage.  Its not an ability, it doesn't have a cooldown.  420 damage.  Its sounds fake, it sounds like a meme, but its true.  If he does his combo sans flashbang (which takes about 2 seconds) he only has to hit a quarter of the shots to kill most characters.  Reinhardt and Winston have to play like cowards; Zarya is the best counter to McCree (due to her saves) and he soft still counters her.  She can have her bubble up and he can fan the hammer, hit only half the shots on her giant tank hitbox, and then do the flashbang + fan combo on her as if she doesn't have an ability specifically to shut down CC.  If you're playing as Reinhardt or Winston and you walk anywhere near him without your barrier up he can basically sneeze and you'll die; on top of that he's in the top 5 barrier killers because why wouldn't he be.

This is if you're facing a bad McCree.  An skilled McCree can duel Hanzo (who I would say is the second best McCree counter) and Soldier 76 at their ideal range and win.

Genji isn't even slightly a counter to McCree, infact Genji is the type of character McCree was supposed to counter (he wasn't intended to be a tank killer according to the devs).  He can throw the flashbang over Genji, on the ground (including straight down if Genji is hugging McCree for some reason), to the side, or even right in front of Genji's face if the range is right.  McCree is a hard counter for Genji.  Hell, there could be nothing in McCree's kit except his left clicks and he would still be decent at killing Genji in the hands of a skilled player.  Might I remind you that he hitscan headshots for 70-140 damage?

On top of all that, McCree is the only character in the entire game who corner camps consistently because it works.  If anyone, even fucking Reaper, camps corners you can literally just walk in, notice him or hear the gunshot sound, and then walk out.  But if you try that with McCree and he has any idea what he's doing the flashbang will explode in the doorway and stun you.  And of course since McCree is judge, jury, and executioner, he doesn't need any help to kill the people he CCs (as opposed to Mei, Zarya, and Reinhardt who really want to be teamed up with someone to be effective).

Overwatch is balanced around competing times to kill.  Its not CoD; no matter how perfect your aim is as 76, Hanzo, Mei, Zenyatta, Widowmaker, there's only *so* fast you can kill that Winston bearing down on your medic.  This is a big part of why Overwatch is such a team game; simply by participating in a fight you add more time it will take for your team to die and more damage that the enemy tanks and healers will have to manage.  But McCree busts the time economy wide open like an egg.  He can kill or doom any character in the game in a half second or less.  To be close to a McCree is, by definition, to be out of position.  No one else is like that, there are characters that can justifiably hang out around Reaper or Reinhardt for a couple seconds if they have a good reason.  The only character who approaches McCree's level of "If I look at you funny you'll fall over dead" is Bastion and yet somehow Bastion has about the same DPS at close range even though he has a bunch of crippling weaknesses and effectively no abilities (whereas McCree effectively has 3, 2 of which are individually better than some characters' entire kit).

His ult is pretty well balanced and fun tho, so there's that I guess :/  Seriously, I don't think you've been matched with good McCrees.  I'm getting matched against 6 stacks that are rank 40-80 and I can say definitely that's he's a broken PoS.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2016, 10:22:35 pm »

Widowmaker is on my list of characters that are overpowered.  But she's not overpowered in the same way McCree is where his mere existence bends the entire nature of the game.  She can be managed, its just that assuming equal skill she's going to do better than she really should.  She just needs to be put down to 150 health (her grapple and thin as hell hitbox make her bizarrely hard to kill in close combat) and have her charge time increased (currently its less punishing then that slide animation every modern shooter with overpowered snipers has).

I heard that the devs said that not giving her 150 was an intentional choice because then sniper vs sniper would just be "who hits the bodyshot first."

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 04, 2016, 11:00:37 pm »

That's fair, but... I dunno, give her a passive -25% critical damage or something.  Its like you go allllllll the way over there to gank their sniper and then you have to contend with a weaker 76 for your troubles.  A weaker 76 that can annihilate you if you let them get distance.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #404 on: June 04, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »

Well, she needs a nerf some way or another. I have no idea how Blizzard could nerf Widow for the super high tier but still make her playable without being an MLG pro at the lower tier.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 107