Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167477 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1425 on: July 16, 2017, 03:50:00 am »

Granted I play on Asia server with a bunch of Koreans. We pretty much invented the Korean D.VA playstyle, and arguably started the dive meta with the last overwatch league. Naturally, people mimic the playstyle of pros and almost obsessively try to fill out the dive meta. I have never seen anyone pick Rein unless out of absolute necessity.

Back to the point, Phara/Mercy is a must in our games. (Which is why I try to perfect my widow shots) Winston/D.VA being the spearhead and Pharmercy dealing damage, and when things go south, she simply rezzes everyone. The swing factor of Mercy in Korean Meta is insane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 16, 2017, 08:57:21 am »

So what is the dive meta?  Everybody just piling onto the point?  Because that's what I've always done.
Shoes...

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #1427 on: July 16, 2017, 09:19:19 am »

It's main strength is creating chaos by bypassing the choke points where the defending team is set up and going straight for the point and/or picking off squishies. It forces them to give up an advantageous position and scramble to adjust while their back line heroes are getting shredded, and they can no longer focus fire like they could with a steadily advancing Rein barrier push. The enemies are too far apart and no one can focus targets properly.

I honestly think it's more of a product of map design than anything. Almost every control map has well established choke points for the first point, including a lot of King of the Hill maps. Defense almost always sets up at the choke and isn't prepared for someone suddenly bypassing their biggest advantage.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 16, 2017, 09:48:59 am »

That's what I was wondering, what actually is it.  I haven't played in a long time (sombra was out last time i played but i didn't actually play her) and I'm pretty much lost on what the actual strategy is.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 16, 2017, 12:49:38 pm »

So what is the dive meta?  Everybody just piling onto the point?  Because that's what I've always done.
Its taking mobility heroes that do well in close range and all jumping on top of the enemy.

Basically think of it like this.  There's some characters like Winston and Genji, that you just aren't going to kill 1v1.  Unless you get lucky or the fight lasts for 2 minutes.  The whole idea of those characters is that they're distracting because you have to dedicate 2-3 characters to dealing with them.  So what happens if you have an entire team of 6 players, 4-5 require more than one character to deal with?  That's dive.  The idea is basically, some of us may die, but in the process we'll do so much damage and waste so much time we'll with the overall fight.  Dive comps live and die by fighting as 6.  Its not about grouping up but you NEED to all be fighting or none of you fighting.  Cowardly players do really badly in dive.  (so do overly aggressive or uncommunicative ones but that goes for all comps)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:04 pm »

The idea is you can use your mobility to all focus the same target at once. If done well you can pick off their team one by one without them getting a real chance to respond. Zenyatta is used because the discord orb is extremely valuable when you're killing people one by one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 16, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »

So what point do people get into comp?  I've jsut gotten back in, but this game doesn't have levels the way League does and I dunno when I should jump in.  Part of me says right now, yolo.
Shoes...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 16, 2017, 05:36:10 pm »

whenever. if you want to play with 2 snipers and 4 dps, go quickplay. otherwise just play comp

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 16, 2017, 06:52:06 pm »

Yeah, mostly it comes down to how serious you want the matches. Quickplay is usually people playing to win but using characters they aren't as good at, or team comps that are more fun then seriously competitive.

Comp is for salt and serious play.

Personally, I mostly do quickplay since solo comp doesn't really appeal to me and the friends I play with aren't interested in it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:25 pm »

The only limitation on comp is you need to be level 25. You can jump in whenever, it caters to all skill levels.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 16, 2017, 07:34:49 pm »

The only limitation on comp is you need to be level 25. You can jump in whenever, it caters to all skill levels.
That said, trying to jump in when you're low level will result in people bitching non-stop and blaming you for everything.

Not that I ever play with people below level 100 despite being 50. Even in quickplay.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 16, 2017, 08:33:41 pm »

That said, trying to jump in when you're low level will result in people bitching non-stop and blaming you for everything.

They'll find other excuses to bitch anyway, don't worry about that.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 17, 2017, 12:16:31 am »

Unfortunately if you're under level 50, people may assume you're a smurf.  I've matched with a 30 before (I'm over 400) and had him insulted in chat for being bad.  People just assumed he had the same experience as me.  In reality OW is his first FPS.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 17, 2017, 03:48:07 am »

I think for the first few levels you're matched with other new players. Beyond that it only cares about skill.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:19 am »

I jumped into competitive and ended up in low gold at level 25, didn't get accusations of smurfing. If you end up around platinum after you calibrate (not unbelievable imo if you have a good deal of previous fps experience) then you might get some, though.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 107