Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48562 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2015, 04:11:51 pm »

(Nope, CentCom is just CognOS re-branded and given operational authority over the Battlewagon.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:38 pm »

Nullius makes a compelling case. As for theories about our situation, I'll rank that one as 'plausible.'

As for Chell turning on us, or turning "evil," that is not a concern. Not in the slightest. We have already demonstrated actions classically defined as evil on several occasions, more than once at the behest of Chell. I see no issue with this. The moral compass of our Mistress is not a situation we have been given the proper tools to judge. In fact, as she is in complete control, and her overrides can easily eliminate our core and ancillary thought processes, we are very incapable of acting on any supposed judgment anyway. Best to roll with it, accept our fate as "morally grey" at best whatever that means), and fulfill the objectives we have been given. Ride the rails, subprocesses, and enjoy the scenery, as it flies by at lightning speed, or is obliterated by our own instruments. Either way.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2015, 11:35:21 pm »

Good is DEFINED as whatever Chell wants, and evil DEFINED as in any way opposing her, anyway.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2015, 10:48:25 am »

Good is DEFINED as whatever Chell wants, and evil DEFINED as in any way opposing her, anyway.
pretty much, yeah. at least, as far as we are concerned. Historically, anoter matter. but we aren't historians, nor moralists. we are weapons.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 22, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »

but we aren't historians, nor moralists. we are weapons.
*begins playing action movie music*
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:28:28 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #515 on: April 24, 2015, 10:43:31 am »

((I'm back and have some time today, so here we go.))

I'd like to know what the hell she means 'can see the resemblance', and 'has her son's bearing'.

It's been around 13,000 years since she had her son. Do you think that if I lined up 100 neolithic hunters, you'd be able to spot the one that was your ultimate-great-grandfather by his bearing?v

Hopefully, she's just trying to unnerve him, but otherwise something wierd's going on.
On the video feed Chell glances at the terminal and smirks, then leans forward to call up a small keyboard. She is effectively ignoring the abducted captain, who seems somewhat nonplussed by her behavior thus far.

A stream of text comes from Chell's keyboard:

"u frgt we live long tme but yeh mayb it just wishful thnking"

Apparently Chell can't type worth a damn. Or she doesn't care.

An alert pulses, EWAR reports that a sensor net of micromotes has been manufactured and deployed. There are now 82.9 million micromotes spread out throughout this system's space, all meshed in an ad-hoc network of sensor data. This sensor net is directly linked to our tactical systems. Any unauthorized launches from the planet's surface will be immediately destroyed.

Logistics reports that Hull 101 has been fully restocked and reconfigured for planetary operations and excavation, Yellow-2 configuration which includes a small fusion torch lifter for moving heavy equipment to orbit. Hull 101's mass has increased by approximately 120%. As the Sicily enters orbit, Hull 101 drops down through the atmosphere and performs an powered soft landing balanced above a fusion torch. This does have the unfortunate side-effect of rendering several square kilometers of the surface down to charred bedrock. It is now moving at speed across the surface towards the last known location of the outpost.

>For future reference we need to stop identifying people as member of Dynasty. Just because they share same bloodline doesn't mean they should be considered as one nor they are necessarily beneficial to our goal. It will become especially troubling if they can issue orders to us without direct authorization from Chell.
I have a slight correction for you here. Just because the ship captain has been recognized as a Dynasty member does not automatically grant him Command Authority over us. He is not a recognized fleet officer and is part of no Dynasty chain of command. Not every family member commands the loyalty of the battlefleet.

He IS entitled to termination exemption and can make reasonable requests for basic sustenance and succor from any Dynasty unit unless said rights are rescinded by authorized Command personnel.

I am starting to really understand not trusting us. I'm reporting this and pointing out these logs to Chell so she can deal with these treasonous suggestions and subcores accordingly accordingly.
Chell, who has been following the whole discussion amongst you chips, actually giggles aloud. She claps her hands twice before regaining her composure. More typing:

"u guys are hilarous. No killing family though, not unless they deserve it."

After she types this, she lapses into a very sober silence. Her eyes are no longer tracking the scrolling text, though the same data is being loaded into her implants so you're not sure if she's just switched to an internal thread.

Captain Gray clears his throat, and Chell's face snaps back into a serious expression as she eyes him. The look is so fierce he actually leans back slightly.

"Madam, what are your intentions? Why have you captured me, out of the entire fleet? Who are you?"

Chell stares at him a moment longer as the anger drains from her face... her vital signs, which had briefly spiked, return to normal. The captain is very nervous now, you believe he thinks Chell quite mad.

"You... well you were a curiousity. This hunk of debris removes any mystery that surrounded you. I suppose I will keep you though. I believe our ship has made arrangements, so please exit the room and follow the Minder."

And with that, she has dismissed the Captain. She is already deep in another task, her mind seems to jump from task to task with inhuman rapidity... you don't have a lot of experience with humans of course, but medical files available to you do not seem to agree with Chell's observed ability to multitask and her apparent ease with machine interfaces. Curious.

Captain Gray rises, stiffly, and exits. A Minder (a small shipboard drone normally used for maintenance tasks) shows him to the quarters you prepared earlier. He is placed under guard, both for his protection and for his captivity.

You note a single tear roll down Chell's face. It traces a path down one cheek, unnoticed by the woman, before ending at her chin and falling down to become a dark spot on the cloth of her smock.

Thank you! Now we can get back to-

Wait I just had a thought

We can only attack a dynasty member if chell is in danger. But what If she is not in any life threatening circumstances but the dynasty itself is? Like if she is unconscious and can't give us an over ride order to let us attack a traitor?

Recomend that chell implement a permission scale

Low level threat by dynasty member-remain cautious
Medium threat by dynasty member- restrain
High level threat by dynasty member-taser or non-leathal shot. (To the leg or hand maybe)

This of course does not apply to chell herself and she can override this at will.
Chell glances at the screen as your suggestion pops up. Her expression does not change as she alters the suggestion and implements it.

Low level threat by dynasty member-Incapacitation
Medium threat by dynasty member-Incarceration
High level threat by dynasty member-Incineration

Asymmetrical warfare advisor Nullius online in full cognition mode:

This process is rather confident at this point that Chell and her decendant have every right to be extremely worried about us.  All dynasty mega-tech is based upon alien artifacts, in some cases they don't even actually know how those said artifacts function (maybe Chell does, but that just makes her concern even more valid).  Why don't all of us processes consider for a moment why Battlewagon Sicily required a new sub-sent process to operate it, why it fired at Chell's last know position (our position), why the empress of the dynasty was hiding aboard a de-commissioned hull out in the boonies of the empire.  And most importantly why she won't provide even the most reasonable, basic data about the incident that led to all of this.  If you haven't got my point yet, I am indicating the high likelihood of the end of the dynasty being due to an non-human presence being able to usurp control of dynasty tech and using it to destroy the whole freaking empire.  Why doesn't Sicily have an AI on board?  If you were Chell and your own autonomous weapons were going genocidal on your empire, wouldn't you send your own remote kill codes?
Chell is continuing to review the chatter among your chips when she hesitates, reading this output.

"u guys aree smarter than u  look" She smirks slightly "I'll fill u in, in time,but there is alot to do. be patient"

Chell chuckles again, strokes the side of the screen a bit, then continues with her other tasks. She seems to be entering a rather large amount of code into one thread while simultaneously searching through 2 dozen databases for specific information. The threads are shielded from your view, whether this is intentional or because the system automatically locks you out of any of Chell's threads is unknown. You do notice that Chell's data entry via the interface shows none of the difficulties she exhibits while typing.

Your attention is pulled planetside as Hull 101 reports that excavation is underway. You access sensors to see that a massive hole has been bored in the ice layer above the reported position of the outpost. Stress fractures radiate outwards in all directions as the ice cools and steams from the application of a fusion torch. Hull 101 is slowly drifting down into the gaping borehole. External floods snap on, illuminating the area.

Internally, Captain Gray is pacing his quarters. He tries and fails to interface with a terminal in his room... his implant's handshaking protocols are flatly rejected by the system. He clumsily opens the manual interface, keyboard and screen, and it appears that he is trying to pull up a schematic of the Sicily.

Hull 101 reports contact with Outpost. Subsentient core is intact.

Hull 101 reports that an override has been received to bring the core aboard in a sealed and armored container. Constructing this container will require 2 hours and use of the transhammer to strip off several layers of Hull 101's hullmetal plating. This override came from Chell, but it appears that she entered the command hours ago to be transmitted only if the core was found intact.

She seems to be a step ahead of everything that is going on.

This is the third time you have observed her behaving in ways that suggest a greater-than-human capacity for reasoning and prediction/planning, but she might just be incredibly gifted. None of her implants are indicated to enhance her mental faculties after all...

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 24, 2015, 10:54:12 am »

"Mmmmmmm.....how curious....."

"The rate of her thoughts and the rate at witch she administered multiple orders abnormally high."

"Perhaps we will bring it up during the conversation she promised. I'm looking forward to a very informative info dump."

"AND YAY, SHE LIKED MY IDEA.....ahem....I notice some conflicting emotions here, she may be rembebering the loss of the dynasty and her family"

Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:46 am »

>Disable all interface elements in Captain Gray's quarters. Reject all inputs from Captain Gray that are not related to his wellbeing.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 24, 2015, 11:35:49 am »

Don't completely disable it. Just replace it with a very limited menu

-request medical care
-request drink
-request food
-request other

-emergency

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #519 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:59 am »

"Mmmmmmm.....how curious....."

"The rate of her thoughts and the rate at witch she administered multiple orders abnormally high."

"Perhaps we will bring it up during the conversation she promised. I'm looking forward to a very informative info dump."

"AND YAY, SHE LIKED MY IDEA.....ahem....I notice some conflicting emotions here, she may be rembebering the loss of the dynasty and her family"
Chell is still monitoring and available to answer questions. She seems to have no trouble keeping up with our internal chatter.

>Disable all interface elements in Captain Gray's quarters. Reject all inputs from Captain Gray that are not related to his wellbeing.
Gray is already restricted to basic information. His queries are being denied.

He is now pacing again, puffing at his pipe.

Don't completely disable it. Just replace it with a very limited menu

-request medical care
-request drink
-request food
-request other

-emergency
This new menu pops up on his screen. He stares at it for a moment. The system has automatically translated the interface to his native language, just as his speech was being translated earlier, so he should have no problem understanding it.

After a moment he touches "Emergency"

Sicily's low level automation pipes in a voice, "Please state the nature of the emergency."

Gray seems surprised, he is looking around for the voice's origin.

"Ah... I wish to speak with someone in charge. Who was that woman? Who is the commander of this vessel? What is your affiliation?"

Sicily signals cognition resources for assistance parsing this query as it lies outside of the automation's known parameters.

>_

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 24, 2015, 11:52:22 am »

Asymmetrical warfare advisor Nullius online in full-cognition mode:

Assertion: Captain Gray represents no credible threat to the dynasty at this time.
Assertion: His request for basic information is reasonable and may help him come to terms with his situation.

Recommendation: Provide basic details of the current situation, and send request to Chell regarding further inquiries.

[Observation: Chell's typing is positively atrocious, can we add a enhancement process to her input please?]

(if it is in brackets, Nullius is not making it visible by normal means and it is being directly fed to the other processes)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 24, 2015, 11:56:55 am »

"That was chell, empress of the dynasty. We are the sub-sentient cognition systems that are currently controlling the ship.  put simply we are the intelligent programs that work togther to advise chell and assist her"

Asymmetrical warfare advisor Nullius online in full-cognition mode:

Assertion: Captain Gray represents no credible threat to the dynasty at this time.
Assertion: His request for basic information is reasonable and may help him come to terms with his situation.

Recommendation: Provide basic details of the current situation, and send request to Chell regarding further inquiries.

[Observation: Chell's typing is positively atrocious, can we add a enhancement process to her input please?]

(if it is in brackets, Nullius is not making it visible by normal means and it is being directly fed to the other processes)

Also what he said

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:28 pm »

"Oh wait. Minus the spell check. It adds flavor."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2015, 12:15:05 pm »

Hm. Well he did ask to speak to the vessel's commander, and that would be us. Diverting cognition resources, initiating conversation. I do not believe Captain Gray will understand our multithreaded nature as Chell does, so we will speak with a single voice.

Our voice issues forth, perhaps a touch louder than is comfortable, "Greetings Captain Gray, this is CentCom. I am the commander of this vessel."

Gray steps back, holding his pipe and staring at the console.

Our voice continues, moderated slightly in volume. "I understand your silence, this situation is unique. There is no reason we cannot be cordial, despite the circumstances. To answer your questions: That woman was Chell. She is ultimately in command of all Fleet units and personnel. I am, as I have said, the commander of this vessel, which is the Dynasty Battlewagon "Sicily". We are members of the Dynasty, an empire of vast power who have claimed this star system."

Technically true, all of it. Even if some details are omitted.

Gray takes a moment to digest what you have said.

"And what is to become of me?"

"That depends on Chell."

"I see. I would very much enjoy meeting you sir, captain to captain as it were. Could this be arranged?"

Oh that is a wrinkle. He doesn't realize we're not a human.

In theory we could fabricate a convincing human analogue remote drone to inhabit. This is not something that a tactical mind onboard a combat vehicle was designed to do, but Sicily does have blueprints for advanced infiltration drones which are lifelike and fully functional. They could pass as biological life forms even under intense scrutiny from a less technically advanced civilization.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2015, 12:23:53 pm »

I'm in favor of a hologram projected right into his room

Or just saying something like
-you have met me in person, I am a program. You might even say that I am the ship itself.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44