Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48724 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Hull 101
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »

I feel that repairing secondary power has greater priority.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »

> Agreed. High energy accelerator coil should be used for repairing secondary power.

Go ahead with proposed plan.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2015, 12:34:25 pm »

> Agreed. High energy accelerator coil should be used for repairing secondary power.

Go ahead with proposed plan.

+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »

Would that work? I'm a bit worried about the grid cutting out or simply failing. After all most power grids aren't build to transfer power over an entire continent.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2015, 01:16:46 pm »

Can we inform the military of our present situation and the idiocy of CCC through the civilians? I don't want to kill any more humans than we have to... Maybe they will leave us alone if we aren't hostile?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »

two questions:

how much power will this accelerator consume when fired? is there any downtime?

will other systems become available with the activation of the secondary plant?

A single firing the linear accelerator will not cause significant power drain or downtime under current power constraints, however sustained fire would begin to adversely affect systems after 23 shots due to depletion of the secondary accumulator.

Repair of secondary power would allow cognition at near real-time levels and would improve all areas of Hull performance. It is even possible to operate the C-D engine on secondary power for surface hops, though orbital maneuvering would require primary power or external power.

In any case, power upgrade/repair is the clear winner here so I will proceed on that basis.

CognOS is moving to low-power operation with EWAR running as a background process.

Hull 101 relocates to a point near the facility's incoming power line and several of the drones manufactured earlier are reconfigured for maintenance work. A lead is fabricated and the power network is tapped. EWAR sends an alert, major brownouts/blackouts reported across the continent as Hull 101 sucks up the entire energy infrastructure output of this primitive civilization in order to barely keep itself functional. Secondary power is taken offline, the burnt and shattered secondary power core is dumped out of a maintenance hatch and smokes as it settles into the ground. Once it has cooled to safe levels, waldo units strip it apart and refurbish the shielding plates and other reclaimable components before assembling them into a new secondary core + accumulator ring. This assembly is installed.

EWAR reports that she has been blocking attempts at shutting down local power for the last half hour and that we should, to paraphrase, "Hurry the fuck up." She has always been rather salty. Still, her point is well taken. Operational tempo is increased and the secondary core is installed. The external power tap as the refurbished core comes online and power is restored within minutes. With that done, secondary repairs may proceed as Hull 101 continues to scavenge the base for other materials.

CognOS coming online, full power restored.

MCP reports secondary power at 98%, far better than expected considering the makeshift nature of the power core.

Status Report

Code: [Select]
Status Report Primary Systems

Cognition: Online/Available
Logistics: Online/Available
Primary Propulsion: Offline/Unavailable
Primary Power: Offline/Unavailable
CCC: Online/Available
Combat Tactical: Offline/Unavailable
Combat Strategic: Online/Available 38% degraded
Combat Suborbital: Offline/Unavailable

Status Report Secondary Systems:

APDS: Online/Available 13% degraded
MCP: Online/Available
Defense Screens: Online/Available 22% degraded
Active Armor: Online/Available
Secondary Propulsion: Online/Available
Secondary Power: Operational 2% degraded

Cognition resources have been reallocated to a per-use basis. CognOS and EWAR are both now online, with cognition resources being allocated for use as needed between the two. CCC still has ultimate authority. Logistics and MCP continue to run as background processes, their own subsentient components are offline/unavailable due to data loss/corruption but their primary function does not require cognition.

Notice: Combat//Strategic systems subjected to reboot/repair cycle after it was found that one strategic weapon system is still loaded in Hull 101's VLS tube 01. The weapon is a orbit-capable hypervelocity kinetic kill warhead with an effective range of 1 AU. The weapon is known as a "HVK-Hammer" Combat//Strategic systems online at 62% efficiency.

General repairs are still underway, as is the exploitation of the facility. Do you have any orders/concerns/questions at this time?

>_

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »

"Guys, I'm geting a message from the tank. You know, the tank that is as big as a hangar. The one that efectively exterminates life as it sees it. The one that blew up our base, our ship and stole dawn age tech. It says it's friendly."
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »

"Guys, I'm geting a message from the tank. You know, the tank that is as big as a hangar. The one that efectively exterminates life as it sees it. The one that blew up our base, our ship and stole dawn age tech. It says it's friendly."

Try anyways, inform them we had no choice becasue of CCC and lower thought capacity as a result of low power. Inform them that if we are left alone CCC will most likely not issue kill orders.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2015, 01:31:30 pm »

I suggest refrainig ourselves from destroying everything, and when the FWA arrives, offer them temporary help in exchange for dawn age tech.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »

>CognOS: What is required to make primary power available?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »

Can we inform the military of our present situation and the idiocy of CCC through the civilians? I don't want to kill any more humans than we have to... Maybe they will leave us alone if we aren't hostile?
EWAR has begun drafting a message to make our intent known to the civilian population, essentially a statement of non-aggression. But...

Precisely. Hull 101 is by its very nature a weapon. It is unknown how a message of peace will be received from such an entity.

I would also like to point out that the civilian population is not as yet aware of us, as far as we can tell. Sending this message may well bring unwanted attention from noncombatants.

>CognOS: What is required to make primary power available?
Short of a functional Hull maintenance/repair depot, which may be hard to find, rebuilding the primary power core would be an extensive undertaking. Doing it on a planetary surface is hazardous in the extreme, but you may have no choice.

Just so you are aware, a core breach involving an active primary power core for a Hull unit would effectively annihilate this world's surface population.

For that matter, you do not yet have an accurate assessment of how damaged your own primary core is because the deformed hullmetal is making any such assessment impossible from the outside. All access ports are fused. It would be possible to do an extensive internal reconfiguration of other systems to allow access to the core, but such an operation would take at least 48 hours and is not advisable at the present time.

Fortunately a primary core which has been properly shut down for maintenance//storage is inert and inactive, so it did not breach when the bombardment struck the planet.

But the secondary powerplant is a superconducting metallic hydrogen fusion device running on shiny new parts and it will suffice for the present time. If we truly wish to rebuild the primary core we will need to locate a source of iridium and astatine as well as several other rare elements. A well stocked laboratory will have most of the things we need in raw form, but astatine and several other required elements have extremely short half-lives when unrefined and so are often created on demand when a new core is being forged.

Then we will need to construct a gantry capable of lifting Hull 101 to access the core and other systems, a cleanroom for manufacture of the new core, and... well it's complicated. We'll need a lot of stuff, not all of which we can just find or dig up. Without support systems it might take years. With this level of technology... possibly centuries. We would essentially need to bootstrap a large portion of the planet's industry to our own technical level, or construct enough autonomous systems to perform the work ourselves.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »

How much stronger is our primary power system compared to the secondary one? I mean, the hull has a lot of free space. Can just stuff that full with a dozen simpler generators if needed.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2015, 02:25:16 pm »

Don't talk to the civvies, then. While we remain a secret, there's a limit to actions they can take against us.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2015, 02:31:15 pm »

How much stronger is our primary power system compared to the secondary one? I mean, the hull has a lot of free space. Can just stuff that full with a dozen simpler generators if needed.
In fact the upper limit of power generation for the primary core had not been determined at the time we went into stand-down. Standard operating procedure is to operate the primary core at 10% capacity which is two orders of magnitude greater in power generation and capability than the secondary cores. In addition, the power output of the primary core does not increase linearly. I do not understand the science behind it, only how to build it, but according to the research theory the primary core could theoretically generate infinite power. Of course such a thing is functionally//practically impossible.

So yes, we could fill our Hull with secondary cores if we had the spare parts. Doing so is not advised, and would not be safe or effective.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:33:36 pm by forsaken1111 »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2015, 02:39:59 pm »

What was the primary core, singularity in a can? Jegus.

((Cool game by the way. ))
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44