Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Author Topic: Battlewagon Sicily - Previously: Hull 101  (Read 48730 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Hull 101
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2015, 10:27:59 am »

I don't suppose the computer banks at this facility are anywhere near advanced enough for us to connect to and then remote-boot CognOS whist keeping EWar online?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2015, 10:29:03 am »

I don't suppose the computer banks at this facility are anywhere near advanced enough for us to connect to and then remote-boot CognOS whist keeping EWar online?
Ahahaha.. hah.. oh god no. They couldn't even keep a single process thread open. Like... just no. They're so dumb. It's like asking if a donkey turning a mechanical gear can power a modern city.

hah... oh wow that was a good one though.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2015, 10:30:55 am »

Heh. I'm not surprised. At full capacity, would we be capable of dual-booting EWar and CognOS?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2015, 10:32:49 am »

Heh. I'm not surprised. At full capacity, would we be capable of dual-booting EWar and CognOS?
Oh sure. With full cognition resources we could run both at real time and still have spare capacity for additional processes to spawn. Its not often done because we're considered somewhat of a liability in tactical situations unless our expertise is needed, and cognition is a huge power drain on the Hull.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2015, 10:36:18 am »

I think then, that the best option is to switch over to CognOS, search the entire installation for more dynasty tech and then cannibalize it for repairs.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2015, 10:39:04 am »

This and try to recover that corrupted data, sure it's not likely to be much help but it should not take to long and if it does we will probably be better off.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2015, 10:40:54 am »

On a sude note, this thing is suprisingly light for it's size.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2015, 10:50:56 am »

I think then, that the best option is to switch over to CognOS, search the entire installation for more dynasty tech and then cannibalize it for repairs.
Right-o then. I'll suspend the access attempts for now and keep data analysis running in the background.

-EWAR Offline-

-CognOS Online-

Greetings, I am CognOS. Scanning local vicinity. We appear to be in a decimated facility of primitive design. I have assimilated all recently logged activity. How may I assist you?

I note that CCC has issued an edict forbidding communication with 'known hostiles'. I feel compelled to point out that CCC has only tagged the PAL as known hostile. We may at any point communicate with the civilian presence on this planet, or any detected FWA forces. As such I have petitioned CCC for a release-hold on transmissions.

CCC has agreed. We now have active transmission capability.

Task found: Determine the presence/absence of orbital capability around this world.

Active sensors online . . . . . Satellite network located.

I have detected 18 returns from objects in orbit. Of those, 3 are small enough to be classified as debris. 2 more are tumbling in a manner which indicates that they are in disuse or not powered. Of the 12 remaining, none are transmitting on any active band which we are capable of detecting.

On a sude note, this thing is suprisingly light for it's size.
Yes, EWAR is not well versed with metric conversion and in any case was not designed to handle real world measurements. It consulted specifications without interpretation. Hull 101 at normal stand-down loadout would weigh 32,000tons this is true. But this state includes the hull being stripped of many systems and munitions. At full battle load the weight may easily triple or more depending on expected mission. For example at red level 2 strategic bombardment loadout Hull 101 would weigh a staggering 289,000 tons. In case you are curious, red level 2 strategic loadout is intended for extended planetary siege operations and includes a full manufacturing facility capable of consuming small asteroids for raw materials. It is unfortunate that we do not have such equipment now. A single Hull configured for red level 2 is capable of executing a planet-wide commercial blockade and siege over a period of 53 years without resupply. Three hulls so configured could effectively lock down an entire system, assuming sufficient enemy spaceborn assets were not present to deter such a siege.

In the history of the Dynasty, (at least what we still have available) such an operation has never met with sufficient resistance to deter a Hull at red level 2 operations.

So EWAR's figure is for an essentially 'empty' Hull configuration.

Oh, a logistics alert... please stand by while I assimilate and scan the contents of the discovered cache.

CognOS Out.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2015, 11:03:57 am »

Hull is HUGE o.o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2015, 11:09:36 am »

I have detected 18 returns from objects in orbit. Of those, 3 are small enough to be classified as debris. 2 more are tumbling in a manner which indicates that they are in disuse or not powered. Of the 12 remaining, none are transmitting on any active band which we are capable of detecting.
There appears to be one left unclassified. Was this an oversight?

Unless the installation has been searched completely, I recommend constructing more of the ITL-5 drones to do this as quickly as possible.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:54 am »

Any statistics on power consumption and fuel reserves. Just want an estimate of how much of the local biosphere we need to burn.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2015, 11:16:03 am »

((Even at red level 2 load, Hull is still lighter than water.))

Temporary objective updated:

*Identify recovered Dynasty tech
*Search local database for info with tag "dawn age"
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2015, 11:28:01 am »

Hull is HUGE o.o
[Well, it's about the size of an ITL4 destroyer, a little shorter and quite a bit wider and taller but it's a handy comparison. It's also very light to improve manurability- you gotta love modern material science! ]
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:43 am »

Hull is HUGE o.o
Yes, the Hull system of armaments are... or were the crown jewel of the Dynasty's semi-autonomous combat systems. We are Hull 101 in a series of 500. To my knowledge no more than 500 were constructed at the time of our stand-down order though obviously many years have passed since then about which we know nothing.

I have scanned the cache of technology. Much of it is Dynasty-level tech but somewhat more advanced than systems we are used to. The advances are small incremental refinements which one would expect over years of development, so my conjecture is that these artifacts were manufactured sometime after our stand-down order and the subsequent HELL bombardment of this planet. How they came to be on the surface following the bombardment is a mystery but the devices are essentially compatible in every meaningful way.

It is a sobering thought that there may be technology more advanced than Hull 101 still functioning and at large. There are two instances of 'rogue' Hulls on record, where a Hull's subsentient components achieved control over the Hull systems. Each incident resulted in the death of an entire civilization. It was these incidents that led to the application of CCC and significant hard-wiring and "loyalty-control" processing.

Most of the devices in the cache are of little practical combat application but the materials may be repurposed. One item is very promising, however. It is an intact high energy accelerator coil which I can use to reconstruct a vital system. It could be used to restore one of our primary tactical weapons to working status, or as a replacement for the secondary power generator/accumulator. If I replace secondary power I will need to tap the facility power grid temporarily while repairs are ongoing which will result in large scale brownouts across this continent, to include the civilian population to the north. Successful repairs will improve our power situation significantly, allowing real-time cognition and response.

The primary tactical weapon however would be efficacious against anything a ITL-5 civilization could possibly bring to bear against the Hull. It is a 75MJ linear kinetic accelerator with an effective range of 190 miles in atmosphere. This is one of the smaller tactical armaments but the best I can repair with the material at hand. If we can locate more such caches then I can affect repairs to a wider variety of systems.

The rest of the cache material will serve to affect general repairs within Hull's rear quarter. The major impediment to repairs is, ironically, the melted remains of the external armor which is blocking or interfering with major systems. Hull 101 does not currently have the capability of removing or cutting Hullmetal. The surrounding plating could be detached and removed of course but since many of the damage plates are fused together it would leave a significant section of exposure. Though melted and deformed, the existing hullmetal is still better armor than any materials we could find here.

Still, I could scavenge some materials to create alloyed plating to at least cover the major gaps.

I have consulted with Logistics and developed a plan of action for approval.

1. Scavenge local materials to fabricate alloy armor plating to cover the gaps in Hull's outer shell.
2. Sink an extension into the ocean to siphon off sufficient water for use as coolant and fuel. Solar power will be used to slowly convert the water into elemental hydrogen and oxygen for use as manufacturing resources or fuel. Our secondary power plant can run on metallic hydrogen, among other things.
3. Scavenge the materials in the 'dawn age' cache for general repairs.
4. Salvage the coil for use in either our power or weapon systems.

Does this plan meet with your approval? If so, which option should be taken for step 4?

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2015, 12:06:01 pm »

There is a significant risk to repairing the power systems, but i feel that that is the more logical choice for the long-term. our current armament has been extremely effective against these 'known hostiles' and will no doubt continue to be so, but a more real-time response to threats will allow us to handle them more efficiently with what we have available, rather than adding a shiny big gun to the party when we already have considerable power limitations.

two questions:

how much power will this accelerator consume when fired? is there any downtime?

will other systems become available with the activation of the secondary plant?

edit: ok, 3 questions technically.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44