Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 34.11 DFHack vs. Lake: Tiletypes and liquids help  (Read 3084 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
34.11 DFHack vs. Lake: Tiletypes and liquids help
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:24 pm »

I'm trying to learn dfhack, and so far I've turned a lake into obsidian. Not sure how to turn it back. Any suggestions?

. . . at least I'm not flooded anymore.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:03:08 am by GuesssWho »
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: 34.11 DFHack vs. Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:51:14 pm »

The tiletypes interface should allow you to turn the obsidian into open space, then use the liquids function to spawn water back in.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:53:12 pm »

How do you get there from the main interface?

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:45:40 am »

I can't actually remember the details. You should ask on the DFHack thread, or change the title of this to something more specific (e.g. DFHack tiletypes help).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:01:03 am »

If you have the terminal pulled up (were you doing liquids through a hotkey and the gui?) then just type tiletypes

Then once the terminal changes from dfhack> to tiletypes> type paint s air m empty and it should give you a square of open space where the cursor is when you hit enter.

If you don't mind it being 1 level deep you can use liquids and just hit of for obsidian floor and then range x y accordingly.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 34.11 DFHack vs. Lake: Tiletypes and liquids help
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 04:07:30 am »

Is there a way to turn the 'pool' of obsidian back into water?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:28 am »

Once you have it converted into floors 'liquids of range x y' you can 'liquids w' if it isn't multiple levels deep.

If it is then you can still convert the bottom to floors but you'll want 'tiletypes paint s empty m air range x y z'' first and then you can fill it with 'liquids w range x y z' because I don't think tiletypes can paint water... it can do ice but that's pretty damn buggy already, I can't imagine what would happen if you told the game there was a tile of solid water which wasn't ice somewhere.

Oh yeah, the tiletypes and liquids range values count right, down, and up from the cursor.

So you put 'tiletypes paint s empty m air range 7 7 7' it should give you 7 of these stacked upwards from the cursor at the 'X':
X 2 3 4 5 6 7

Then just put a floor back in (the 'tiletypes s empty m air' command removes the "floor" from the top of the "wall" below it as well as the material where the wall was) which is probably safer to do with 'liquids of range 7 7 1' than 'tiletypes paint s floor m lava_stone range 7 7 1' because you can just do 'w range 7 7 7' and fill it back up.

Change the values as you need, of course.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:01:16 am »

. . . so how did I even manage to petrify the whole thing at once, then?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:25:18 am »

Easier to do than undo.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:05:14 pm »

Easier to do than undo.
Well that's annoying. There should be an obsidian-to-water function, if the other way around is so easy.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:29 am »

. . . so how did I even manage to petrify the whole thing at once, then?

That's actually a good question since tiletypes and liquids only really work in rectangles. Did you just spawn a huge amount of lava over the lake? Also, have you revealed the map? You may have affected a larger area than you intended and just can't see it all. (I like to use "reveal hell" because it keeps me from accidentally unpausing while I have the map in a cave-in-ish, dwarf-unfriendly, or otherwise delicate state (Remember to unreveal before you save, otherwise its a pain and a half to fix (you have to hide the whole map with tiletypes then use revflood)))

One thing that I can think of to help fix your lake is that you can set the range on tiletypes really high (like "r 100 100") then "filter mat lava_stone" so that tiletypes will only affect tiles made of obsidian (remember to set it back to "filter any" afterwards otherwise you'll wonder why tiletypes isn't doing anything all of a sudden).

Also, if you haven't already, you should open tiletypes and type "help", and read through it. At the end, it says "See help [option] for more information", which means that you should type things like "help Material" (or "help mat" or "help m") and "help Shape" in order to get a better idea of what is possible.

Also, if you plan to do this a lot, you will save a lot of aggravation by adding keybindings like "keybinding add Ctrl-Q tiletypes-here" and "keybinding add Ctrl-W tiletypes-here-point" to your dfhack.init file. Its miserable enough switching back and forth, no need to do more of it than necessary.

Personally I'm just dreaming of the day that the whole tiletypes/liquids/changelayer/changevein/sources/etc. dance grows into a full-blown map editor.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:32:48 am by orbcontrolled »

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 05:21:38 pm »

I have no idea what happened, the entire lake just petrified all at once. I'm starting to think it shouldn't have been possible.